Wong Training

OP
M

MonkgWong

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Apologies for the slow response here - roughly two thirds of the time I attempt to log into this site it is not working. I am happy to offer some advice as my site - The Temple of Monk Wong - functions 100 percent of the time and is considered marvellous by the many people who frequent it.

Now, onto the matter of my lineage.

Let me tell you a story. There were once two brothers - Lee and Wing - both trained as younglings in a traditional Shaolin style, both fearsome warriors. Lee was arrogant man, impressed by his own skill and hot headed. Wing on the other hand was meek and humble, “I am a lowly student of the fighting arts, nothing more” he would often say. One day the village was overrun by bandits - ruddy scoundrels from the neighbouring province. The champion of the bandits burst into the tavern, proclaiming “I hear Lee is the mightiest of all the warriors”. The bandits then beat Lee into a pulp before the eyes of the whole village. The champion of the bandits then turned to Wing, “On your way boy, I have no qualms with you”.

Grandmaster Yang and Master Li taught me, “It is only the fool who reveals his true lineage and identity”. However, one thing I can promise you is that they are very legitimate and if I told you, you would be incredibly impressed.

Now, onto the matter of my extraordinary claims.

Yes, I have had to prove my fighting prowess on many an occasion, and yes - it is easy for me to simply tell you the stories and not back it up, so I understand your scepticism. However, how do you explain this? - I was awarded the “True Hero of the East” accolade by the Tiger Temple itself. I think we can all agree this isn’t something that is handed out lightly. I can of course tell you the exact reason I was given this honour if there is interest?

Lee (Bagua Jitsu)

White Belt
Reaction score
And you are?

It is amazing how someone, no one has ever had post here before, shows up, out of the blue, exactly the same as on the other site, to vouch for him.....only the other site figured out what was going on didn't they.

OK....where did you train with him, fighting bandits in the Himalayas or in Henan where the native dialect is not what the life long resident of Henan clams to speak

Oh and I imagine you realize...Bagua is Chinese and Jitsu is Japanese right.....

吹牛

Apologies for the late reply; had a few problems accessing the forum. Of course I understand your train of thought. Here is my explanation—

I'm a student of the great Monk Wong—his teachings have truly reformed me both as a martial artist and a human being. I sensed that he had graced this forum with his presence and came here too in his support and admiration. It was when I purchased his meditation fishing rod set, paying using Amazon gift cards, that I truly started to realise the folly of my ways—the martial skills I was so intent on developing were not for violence, but for protection of myself and others—I have been humbled ever since.

Aegis

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Glad to see this is where it belongs in the Horror Stories section of the site. What a complete joke!

OP
M

MonkgWong

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Well well well, methinks Aegis doth protest too much. Let me ask you this then - what style do you practise?

OP
M

MonkgWong

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
It's interesting how when people get intimidated they resort to mockery.

Let me ask you this - does the heron throw insults when it gets afraid? Does the might leopard quake in its boots when confronting the noble tiger? No, they move like water in a river, passing by a stone.

Aegis

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Intimidated? By you? No chance! I'm mocking you because your entire story is laughable, worthy of mockery and nothing more.

OP
M

MonkgWong

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
You strongly remind me of a student I once had called Chan. He came to the temple one day saying, "Oi Wong, your style isn't worth its salt - I could give you a bunch of fives." I calmly told him I am a man of peace not of warcraft. However, he would not back down. "Very well", I proclaimed, stepping into the courtyard. Chan assumed a Hung Gar position - a southern style, famous for its use of tiger and crane. He struck at me hard and fast, with the ferocity of a lion. However, using an eagle claw chin na I constrained him.

"Forgive me master, I was a foolish do-gooder - you have belittled me" he exclaimed. "Come now child, your journey is only just starting." I took Chan into the temple and trained him day and night for 5 long years. Now he is one of the noblest warriors ever to come out of our school. So while I understand your indignation Aegis, I beg you to look within and ask what the tiger would do.

Tony Dismukes

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Guys, at this point I’m pretty sure that “Wong” is just trolling for outrage than expecting anyone to believe his stories.

Aegis

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Guys, at this point I’m pretty sure that “Wong” is just trolling for outrage than expecting anyone to believe his stories.

My very first reply to him (on another site) was as follows:

LOL, nice troll job! You really captured the 90s fanboy storytelling method, but you took the story a bit too far if you wanted anyone to think you were actually trying to fool people rather than just having fun with everyone.

For some reason he just doesn't want to give up the trolling.

OP
M

MonkgWong

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I'm not at all and I resent the allegation! I am simply here to discuss the martial arts - nothing more and nothing less.

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
The title of this thread needs to be changed to “Who can spin the tallest tale?”

In that regard, it’s kinda fun. Just get as outrageous as possible, borrow heavily from Shaw Brothers, etc.

I think it’s then a legit thread.

OP
M

MonkgWong

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Let us turn our attention to something important; what would you say are the main differences (in broad generalisations) between the northern and southern styles?

OP
M

MonkgWong

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Gentlemen - no need to fight amongst yourselves. Just because it says 'Sr Grandmaster' under Flying Crane's avatar, I'm sure he means no harm to the masters of old (like Li).

I'll tell you why it is important. I was studying the classics in the great library of our temple the other day when an elder burst in having completed a manuscript of his own. "Wong - this you must see!" he proclaimed. It was entitled 'Treaty on the Chinese Styles'. He has entrusted me to edit this before presenting it to the Abbot of the Tiger Temple himself!

In the document he makes the following claims -

Northern Styles

Generally favour longer distance techniques. More acrobatic with high kicks and extended positions. A mix of hard and soft.

Southern Styles

Generally favour shorter distance techniques. Lower positions, emphasis on conditioning. Generally an emphasis on hard over soft.

==

A penny for your thoughts.

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
And why would a self-proclaimed "grandmaster" need to ask?
You did me one better sir.

Although I suspect in this case, the fellow is using the question to set up his own soapbox where he can preach to the heathen and make himself feel like he is so much smarter than the rest of us hoo don’t got no ejumacation.

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Gentlemen - no need to fight amongst yourselves. Just because it says 'Sr Grandmaster' under Flying Crane's avatar, I'm sure he means no harm to the masters of old (like Li).

I'll tell you why it is important. I was studying the classics in the great library of our temple the other day when an elder burst in having completed a manuscript of his own. "Wong - this you must see!" he proclaimed. It was entitled 'Treaty on the Chinese Styles'. He has entrusted me to edit this before presenting it to the Abbot of the Tiger Temple himself!

In the document he makes the following claims -

Northern Styles

Generally favour longer distance techniques. More acrobatic with high kicks and extended positions. A mix of hard and soft.

Southern Styles

Generally favour shorter distance techniques. Lower positions, emphasis on conditioning. Generally an emphasis on hard over soft.

==

A penny for your thoughts.
I gotta say, this is really good comedy. I mean, this is just funny! Well done sir, I admire your ability to keep up your charade as others keep trying to get you to break character. Now THAT is focus.

OP
M

MonkgWong

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I know - for instance - that Abbot Wu journeyed to the south to learn their styles. I remember him saying they are more appropriate to fighting in confined spaces. The fighters of old would train on moving boats, hence the emphasis on wide horse stance for stability.

However, Wu and I famously fell out - I am happy to remind those of you who don't know the story exactly what happened.

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I know - for instance - that Abbot Wu journeyed to the south to learn their styles. I remember him saying they are more appropriate to fighting in confined spaces. The fighters of old would train on moving boats, hence the emphasis on wide horse stance for stability.

However, Wu and I famously fell out - I am happy to remind those of you who don't know the story exactly what happened.
Is it available on audiobooks? I get too distracted when I try to focus long enough to actually read something. So if it’s just kinda background noise then I might get through it...

Latest Discussions