Wish me luck!

bookworm_cn317

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
After years of being a purple belt (yes, I said 'YEARS'), several of which were WAY beyond my control--among other things, I will FINALLY be testing for my 2nd degree blue belt!

So, YAY for me!:)

Edited to put: My test is on Tuesday.

tshadowchaser

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Best of skill , knowledge and luck
Give it your best and I am sure your will do well

Laurentkd

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Awesome!
I am sure you will do great!!
Let us know alllll the details when it is over!

Kacey

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Having stayed the same rank for 7 years - due largely to circumstances beyond my control - I understand! Congrats on being ready, and let us know how it goes!

Yeti

Black Belt
Reaction score
Knock 'em dead (not literally though!).
I"m sure you'll do great & I bet you'll remember this test for a long, long time. Let us know how it went!

exile

To him unconquered.
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Yay for you indeed, Bookworm! Go get 'em!
icon14.gif

jim777

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I'm sure you'll be ready for whatever they throw at you; don't stress it and just bang it out :)
Let us know how it goes!

jim

bluemtn

Senior Master
Reaction score
After years of being a purple belt (yes, I said 'YEARS'), several of which were WAY beyond my control--among other things, I will FINALLY be testing for my 2nd degree blue belt!

So, YAY for me!:)

Edited to put: My test is on Tuesday.

Best wishes!

matt.m

Senior Master
Reaction score
That is so great......best of skill.....I know you will pass with the flying colors.

OP
bookworm_cn317

bookworm_cn317

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
I failed. At least, that's how I view it. My instructor says we just took a break. I was doing fine until my instructor asked me to explain how to do a front stance, and then I started freaking out (tears, hyperventilating). I told him I'm bad at explaining stuff, and then he got upset at me. So, I have 'til Saturday to e-mail him with the explainantion of how to do a front stance and a fighting stance.

So, I'm basically screwed.

Kacey

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I failed. At least, that's how I view it. My instructor says we just took a break. I was doing fine until my instructor asked me to explain how to do a front stance, and then I started freaking out (tears, hyperventilating). I told him I'm bad at explaining stuff, and then he got upset at me. So, I have 'til Saturday to e-mail him with the explainantion of how to do a front stance and a fighting stance.

So, I'm basically screwed.

You're not screwed - you had an anxiety attack. It happens to lots of people. Your instructor knows that you know the information, or he wouldn't be giving you the time to provide it to him. Look around MT, ask for help - we don't do front stance and fighting stance, and I'm not sure how they relate to walking and L-stances, our closest equivalent, so I'm not the right person to ask - but some people just don't respond well in public/high stress settings. Don't give up now - if that's all you need to do, then you're all set - just write a description of each stance, including how long it is, how wide it is, what part of the foot and/or leg the length and width are measured from, the weight distribution (e.g. evenly on both legs, more on the front or back, proportions if you have them), and (if you know it) the types of techniques done from each stance, and give it to him. If your instructor didn't think you already knew the information and choked in a high stress situation, he wouldn't be giving you this second chance to demonstrate your understanding - so don't give up, demonstrate!

I'll give you an example: my class tested 2 weeks ago. Two of my students missed their breaks - both young teens (one 13, one 14). The 14 year-old, a very sensitive young girl, was so upset she was in tears - but by the next time class was held, she was calm, in charge of herself (testing had been 3 1/2 hours, and as senior, her breaks were last - it was 9:30 at night on a school night - she was tired) - and she made her breaks, and was promoted - because she overcame her difficulty and proved she knew what she was supposed to know, in this case, how to apply the technique. The same went for the 13 year-old - he missed his hand break, came to the next class, and is now a green belt - and he's on medication for anxiety and other emotional concerns; when he didn't know what to do at his high yellow testing, because he was told to do something he hadn't learned yet, he got so upset he broke out in tears and walked off the floor - but he came back, did his best, and passed.

Another example: the senior member of our association was testing for his VII Dan, and stepped with the wrong foot for his testing pattern, Tong-Il - the performance of which was his only testing requirement. He looked at the testing board, apologized, and asked to start over, which they told him to do - and he then completed the pattern correctly.

Mistakes happen - it's how you deal with them that determines your mettle, not whether or not they happen. Get to writing, post it here for those who use your stances to provide feedback if you feel you need it, and give it to your instructor - and quit stewing about it; nothing you can do will change the past, but you can change the future - so get to it!

IcemanSK

El Conquistador nim!
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
You're not screwed - you had an anxiety attack. It happens to lots of people. Your instructor knows that you know the information, or he wouldn't be giving you the time to provide it to him. Look around MT, ask for help - we don't do front stance and fighting stance, and I'm not sure how they relate to walking and L-stances, our closest equivalent, so I'm not the right person to ask - but some people just don't respond well in public/high stress settings. Don't give up now - if that's all you need to do, then you're all set - just write a description of each stance, including how long it is, how wide it is, what part of the foot and/or leg the length and width are measured from, the weight distribution (e.g. evenly on both legs, more on the front or back, proportions if you have them), and (if you know it) the types of techniques done from each stance, and give it to him. If your instructor didn't think you already knew the information and choked in a high stress situation, he wouldn't be giving you this second chance to demonstrate your understanding - so don't give up, demonstrate!

I'll give you an example: my class tested 2 weeks ago. Two of my students missed their breaks - both young teens (one 13, one 14). The 14 year-old, a very sensitive young girl, was so upset she was in tears - but by the next time class was held, she was calm, in charge of herself (testing had been 3 1/2 hours, and as senior, her breaks were last - it was 9:30 at night on a school night - she was tired) - and she made her breaks, and was promoted - because she overcame her difficulty and proved she knew what she was supposed to know, in this case, how to apply the technique. The same went for the 13 year-old - he missed his hand break, came to the next class, and is now a green belt - and he's on medication for anxiety and other emotional concerns; when he didn't know what to do at his high yellow testing, because he was told to do something he hadn't learned yet, he got so upset he broke out in tears and walked off the floor - but he came back, did his best, and passed.

Another example: the senior member of our association was testing for his VII Dan, and stepped with the wrong foot for his testing pattern, Tong-Il - the performance of which was his only testing requirement. He looked at the testing board, apologized, and asked to start over, which they told him to do - and he then completed the pattern correctly.

Mistakes happen - it's how you deal with them that determines your mettle, not whether or not they happen. Get to writing, post it here for those who use your stances to provide feedback if you feel you need it, and give it to your instructor - and quit stewing about it; nothing you can do will change the past, but you can change the future - so get to it!

I couldn't have said it better or given better examples. If we all sitting around at a pub & someone asked you how to do a front stance, you'd rattle it off with no problem. Anxiety attacks happen to many people (even me) you're not alone, BookWorm. You know your material:you do it every day in class. You can do this. In the words of a Saturday Night character (Stuart Smalley) "You're good enough, smart enough, & dog gone it, people like you." In 6 months, you'll look back at this & realize how far you come.