Wing Chun Table Fighting

Yoshiyahu

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Do you practice any forms of TABLE fighting?

What benefits do you gather comes from doing this?

What exactly is training this close good for?

Headhunter

Senior Master
Reaction score
My idea of table fighting is slamming their head into the table

Headhunter

Senior Master
Reaction score
I don't really see the point tbh...why do you need a table if you want to work on infighting just work on infighting or press up against a wall

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
It may come in handy at holidays when someone asks you to pass the salt. You know, a soft field goal thing.

wckf92

Master of Arts
Reaction score
The guy in the video states several times what the objective and goal is regarding his method of training.

D

Deleted member 39746

If its a moving table then it seems like a decent balance exercise.

Danny T

Senior Master
Reaction score
We have one rule when it comes to table fighting...'One Foot On the Floor At All Times'!
Break the rule and you lose the food you just got and have to start all over again.

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Are you talking about fight on the stage? People always did that during the ancient time. If you fall off the stage you may get serious injury. It takes courage to get up there.

lai-tai.jpg

OP
Yoshiyahu

Yoshiyahu

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
No because that's stupid and dumb.

Okay well its a training exercise. Not true sparring!

My idea of table fighting is slamming their head into the table

Thats a great idea

The guy in the video states several times what the objective and goal is regarding his method of training.

Ding ding, how ever i wanted others to discuss it.

If its a moving table then it seems like a decent balance exercise.

indeed.

Are you talking about fight on the stage? People always did that during the ancient time. If you fall off the stage you may get serious injury. It takes courage to get up there.

lai-tai.jpg

Now thats funny

D

Deleted member 39746

Have you seen stage San Shou fight without rope around it?

i think a few types of fight are on a raised platform without any ropes. It seems to be a semi Chinese thing. There was also a karate tournament thing where they had a depressed platform surrounded by semi shallow angled walls you could jump off etc.

Cephalopod

Green Belt
Reaction score
I was a bit distracted by the caved-in posture of the first guy demonstrating in the op's vid.
That being said, It's actually quite tricky to roll with someone much shorter that yourself! My latest approach has been to treat all of his strikes the same as very low strikes from a taller person rather than compromise my posture. I still find myself with my weight going to my toes too often.

Reaction score
I've seen an old black and white picture from Leung Ting's school of his students doing blindfolded chi-sau off the ground on a real table half of that size. The only purpose I can think of is controlling/taking space in a very dynamic and stressful environment.

Latest Discussions