Wing Chun Master Wong Nim Yi

AceHBK

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Does anyone know about this Master?

I have researched a lot on WC and I have not seen his lineage before.
First clip I have seen with little to no chain punches.
I found it very interesting....it makes me wonder how different in WC taught over here in the states compared to how it is taught in China. Do you think there is a big difference?

I notice that in this demo he uses ALOT of footwrk (lew sweeps, etc.) more than I have seen while looking at WC video clips.

Here is a lil interview u can read that he did,
http://www.wing-chun.cz/en/rozhovor.en.htm

Last edited by a moderator:

brocklee

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Does anyone know about this Master?

I have researched a lot on WC and I have not seen his lineage before.
First clip I have seen with little to no chain punches.
I found it very interesting....it makes me wonder how different in WC taught over here in the states compared to how it is taught in China. Do you think there is a big difference?

I notice that in this demo he uses ALOT of footwrk (lew sweeps, etc.) more than I have seen while looking at WC video clips.

Here is a lil interview u can read that he did,
http://www.wing-chun.cz/en/rozhovor.en.htm

According to the interview, he's the first to trademark it in his china. First chinese mcdojo? lol I know nothing of this master and his lineage.

Last edited by a moderator:

Tames D

RECKLESS
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Don't get me wrong, by my statement above I'm not saying whether he is correct or wrong or good or bad. I don't know of his reputation
I understood what you meant. Unfortunatly, I know nothing of this man either.

Tordk

White Belt
Reaction score
I´m going to attend at one of his seminars next month.. My question to you is if any of you have attended at one of his clases..?

OP
AceHBK

AceHBK

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I´m going to attend at one of his seminars next month.. My question to you is if any of you have attended at one of his clases..?

He is having a seminar here in the U.S.?

bs10927

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Mai Gei Wong is his family Wing Chun. He's in Guangzhou.

Guangzhou Wing Chun is different than Hong Kong Wing Chun. It may look similar but techniques are different.

KPM

Senior Master
Reaction score
Wong Nim Yi is very good! His Wing Chun is an off-shoot of Yuen Kay Shan Wing Chun. His father was one of Yuen Kay Shan's students. His nick-name was Mei Gai Wong or "Rice Machine" Wong, and that's what his soon took as the name of their style. His father mixed in some other Wing Chun he had studied with what he learned from Yuen Kay Shan, but if you compare Wong Nim Yi's Wing Chun with the Sum Nun people they are very similar. Sum Nun added the 12 short sets he had learned from Cheung Bo to Yeun Kay Shan's Wing Chun, so you won't find that in Wong Nim Yi's Wing Chun. I have the VCD's that Wong Nim Yi has done. They are in Chinese, but if you already know Wing Chun, you can tell what he is doing. Very good stuff!

VT_Vectis

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Not sure if this is the interview you linked to, as won't work for me due to lack of signal, but he's featured on the cover and main article of the latest Wing chun Illustrated Magazine.

As written by KPM, above, he mentions YKS and other VT lineage, but also
says his teachings incorporate principles and techniques from a number of Northern Styles due to his father and himself studying outside the system to broaden their knowledge.

Last edited:

Marnetmar

Black Belt
Reaction score
From what I understand, Wong Nim Yi's stuff is pretty good, but if you're looking for straight YKS WC you might want to go elsewhere since, as mentioned above, he incorporates other styles into his WC.