New to MT & WC....

wck dallas

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Hey all... This is my first post so I thought I'd jump into the WC section and introduce myself, since this is where I'll be doing most of my posting.

I look forward to the future dialog , as I am new to the art ( science ) of WC... I've only 2 months of training so far. It will be nice to discuss my new found passion with ppl who share it.... my wife is certainly tired of hearing about it, lol.

I've studied TKD and then Kenpo in the past, but this makes much more sense to me. I'm studying at Authentic Kung Fu under Sifu Steve Cotrell, and it's been a great experience thus far.

anyway....good to be here....later.

DaveyBoy

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Welcome!!

Sounds like your experience of finding Wing Chun is similar to mine. I'd done quite a few different arts, but after one session with my Sifu became hooked on Wing Chun & haven't looked back. It's so much simpler yet so much harder to become good than anything else I've experienced!

tshadowchaser

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Just saying welcome to the forum and that i am happy you have found a art that you like
keep us informed as to you progress please

Drac

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Greetings and Welcome to MT...

brocklee

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Great to meet you :D There's alot of info on these forums, I'm sure you'll enjoy it.

AceHBK

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Congrtas.
How is it going?
I have recently moved from Dallas and I have heard of your Sifu

bens85

White Belt
Reaction score
Hey, I am still new to Wing Chun as well, I've been doing it about 3-4 months now, only once a week, but I hope that I will increase my training soon, even though my work and study commitments take up such large amounts of time.

I was willing to try any of the major martial arts styles, and even for a while I considered the possibility of Japanese swordfighting, but for me it was the fact that I needed to find somewhere that was suitable for me in terms of location and timetable, and honestly it couldn't have worked out better. I admit I did meet with instructors of other classes and styles because I wanted to consider something I could stick with for the long term and try out different ones, but the class is great.

You don't need to have a solid build, great reflexes or anything like that to be able to appreciate Wing Chun. I'm below average in terms of fitness level, but at this stage I can already understand how the forms I'm doing now will come together in the future, even if it does get a bit frustrating and disappointing when I have to repeat the same kick or punch movement because I can't get it right and it seems so simple.

Good luck with it

tenth1

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
greetings,
hope wing chun is as much fun for you as it is for me!!!!:)

brocklee

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Hey, I am still new to Wing Chun as well, I've been doing it about 3-4 months now, only once a week, but I hope that I will increase my training soon, even though my work and study commitments take up such large amounts of time.

I was willing to try any of the major martial arts styles, and even for a while I considered the possibility of Japanese swordfighting, but for me it was the fact that I needed to find somewhere that was suitable for me in terms of location and timetable, and honestly it couldn't have worked out better. I admit I did meet with instructors of other classes and styles because I wanted to consider something I could stick with for the long term and try out different ones, but the class is great.

You don't need to have a solid build, great reflexes or anything like that to be able to appreciate Wing Chun. I'm below average in terms of fitness level, but at this stage I can already understand how the forms I'm doing now will come together in the future, even if it does get a bit frustrating and disappointing when I have to repeat the same kick or punch movement because I can't get it right and it seems so simple.

Good luck with it

The good part about WC is the more you train the more you begin to figure out how little you actually know. Try not to get frustrated because even when you think you DO have it right, you probably dont and a sifu will point it out. There's no rush and the more you try to get to a certain point, the less you'll achieve.

Welcome to the forums :D

KamonGuy2

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Hi there and welcome to the forum!!

There are a lot of very experienced wing chunners on here so you'll love it

Steve Cotrell is a nice guy and good at wing chun - the only thing is that he is very into chi kung and mantis which aren't my cup of tea.

Good luck with your training and don't be afraid to post questions to the other members

Peace out

Latest Discussions