Wing Chun GMs

The 14th Style

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Originally posted by HarvesterofSorrow

It would be very bad for me if Augustine Fong stops teaching!
He's my Sifu!

Hello HarvesterofSorrow, a couple of quick questions if you don't mind. How long have you trained in Wing Chun ? Also, have you ever had the chance to train with Phil Romero? He teaches Wing Chun here in Albuquerque. I know he has been to Tucson to visit your school. I believe he and Master Fong are good friends.

Respectfully The 14th Style

celtic bhoy

Orange Belt
Reaction score
We have many Wing Chun schools here in England, I know of someone who says his style of Wing Chun comes from Malaysia. I've also heard of a Snake style Wing Chun, but most masters will claim the Ip Man lineage. Sometimes it's is true and sometimes it's for financial gain.

A friend of mine was taught by a man who claims Ip Man lineage. He taught my friend to do the Sil lum Tao fully tensed, my Sifu however, says you must apply all Wing Chun in forms or combat, as relaxed as possible. If you break sweat you are not doing it right. He too is of Ip Man lineage.........explain that.

Best Regards

celtic bhoy

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Snake Style Wing Chun was founded by Leung Yee Tye, it was founded in Yum Chou. The stlye is apparently common in Fat Shan.

Best Regards

blackdiamondcobra

Purple Belt
Reaction score
There is also Grandmaster Henry Leung(Leung Chi Man) of the Buddha
hand wing chun(futsao wing chun). He is an exemplary wing chun
master who is also a medical doctor.

bart

Brown Belt
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Hey,

I've talked to a bunch of people who trained in various arts in the 40's, 50's and 60's, be it Karate, different Kung Fu styles or FMA and they say that Grandmaster came into popular use in the 1970's and that before then mostly teachers went by "teacher" or "sensei". Those MA's that were organized had presidents and committee chairs, but Grandmaster or Great Grandmaster seems to be a relatively recent title. I also can't seem to find any documents that use those terms. I can't read Chinese or Japanese, but the certificates in English and French that I've seen don't mention a Grandmaster or anything until about the 1970's.

Anybody hear or see anything like that other than me?

Cthulhu

Senior Master
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Personally, I think the 'Great Grandmaster' title was concocted for political reasons. There is a lot of bickering regarding the Yip Man lineage.

Cthulhu

OP
T

tmanifold

There is nothing wrong with the title grandmaster as long as it denotes something specific. In korean arts for example, one is a master at 5th degree and a grandmaster at 8th or above.

The problem with WC is that everyone is a GM. Not only that they are the "only legitimate GM".

Tony