Wing Chun Books

CuongNhuka

Senior Master
Reaction score
For those who don't know, I train in Cuong Nhu which includes Wing Chun in it. I have begun to develop an intrest in Wing Chun, and would like to find a few good books on it. If possible, I would like books on both the Yip Man line, and those branches outside the Yip Man line.
Thanks in advance!

Nyrotic

Green Belt
Reaction score
The Wing Chun Compendium is a good ref book in my opinion. It's got alot of info in it, I think you might find it useful.

OP
CuongNhuka

CuongNhuka

Senior Master
Reaction score
That and Why Wing Chun Works is already on my shoping list. Got any others?

CheukMo

Orange Belt
Reaction score
I have a copy of Ip Chun's Wing Chun Kung Fu and Ip Chun's Wing Chun Martial Arts one of which focuses on Siu Lim Tau while the other focuses on Chi Sau. I also have Wing Chun Kung Fu by James Yimm Lee. I would like to know of some other good books and/or videos also as there are so many out now that the value of many of them can be very suspect.

OP
CuongNhuka

CuongNhuka

Senior Master
Reaction score
I'll add those to the list. Thanks guys! Keep 'em rolling!

Changhfy

Green Belt
Reaction score
Hey CuongNhuka,

Some books that have really helped my understanding would be.

Mastering Kung Fu: Grandmaster Garrett Gee/Benny Meng/Richard Loewenhagan. http://shop.vtmuseum.org/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=5&products_id=41
(this book covers the Hung Fa Yi Wing Chun system)

Also if you can find it, Ving Tsun trilogy: Grandmaster Moy Yat.

Look beyond the pointing finger: David Peterson (student of Grandmaster Wong Shun Leung) http://shop.vtmuseum.org/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=5&products_id=35

take care,
Zach

OP
CuongNhuka

CuongNhuka

Senior Master
Reaction score
Cool, more books. And it's kinda cool that one of the books you suggest is about Moy Yat, since that's the Wing Chun system I half cross train in.

Changhfy

Green Belt
Reaction score
Wow,

It sounds like we have alot in common.

I also studied Cuong Nhu as well as the Moy Yat branch of Ving Tsun.

I wish you the best!

take care,
Zach

OP
CuongNhuka

CuongNhuka

Senior Master
Reaction score
By chance at Saginaw? Or are you in the pennisula?

Changhfy

Green Belt
Reaction score
Hey CuongNhuka I trained in Saginaw: in Cung Nhu for about 2 years and trained in Ving Tsun for 11 years.

take care,
Zach

OP
CuongNhuka

CuongNhuka

Senior Master
Reaction score
But Cuong Nhu isn't listed in your user cp. How RUDE! OK, I'm kidding.
It's pretty cool to run into somebody who has not only heard of Cuong Nhu, but has trained in it. You're the first person i've meet here who has trained in Cuong Nhu.

Changhfy

Green Belt
Reaction score
Hey CuongNhuka,

But Cuong Nhu isn't listed in your user cp. How RUDE! OK, I'm kidding.

lol, I agree :)

Actually if you dont mind me asking where do you train at?

and a couple of other books that I would recommend from Grandmaster Moy Yat are: Luk Dim Poon Kwan (this book has helped me tremendously) and also the Wooden Dummy (Muk Yan Jong-Wooden Man Structure)

All the books I mentioned are out of print and circulation now.
But if your interested I most likely can still obtain the Wooden Dummy and possibly the Luk Dim Poon Kwan but I'm not aware of the Ving Tsun trilogy around anywhere (Ving Tsun trilogy was a great book in that it covers the Siu Nim Tau, Chum Kiu and Biu Ji forms) by Grandmaster Moy Yat.

As for non Moy Yat lineage books I would recommend.
The Ving Tsun bible (by the VTAA) this covers coming from a technique perspective a list of all the techniques of each form including the luk dim poon kwan and the baat jam dao. If you can obtain this I would recommend it. (also Ip Ching's luk dim poon kwan form is somewhat unique both in form and function)

I'll add a more compiled list later.

take care,
Zach

OP
CuongNhuka

CuongNhuka

Senior Master
Reaction score
Not at all. Rising Spirit Dojo in Papillion Nebraska.

If you were to find a copy of those books would you PM me and I'll give you my adress so you can mail them to me. Don't worry about it to much. I have a good list as it is, so there is no need to go out of your way.

Changhfy

Green Belt
Reaction score
No problem at all.

I can get the Wooden Dummy book right now and more than likely the luk dim poon kwan as well. I'll send you a pm later.

take care,
Zach

DaveyBoy

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I'd highly recommend Simply Wing Chun Kung Fu by Shaun Rawcliffe. It's very well written, explains the fundamental techniques of Wing Chun in a lot of detail and has plenty of diagrams to illustrate what he explains in the text. I often find myself referring back to it when I'm training.

Latest Discussions