Wing Chun Centre Line and Buddhist Philosophy

Jaz

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Hi Everyone, I've made a video about the Centre Line being, aside from being a fighting concept, a physical representation of Buddhist philosophy's Middle Way. What do you all think. Could the Centre Line be the manifestation of the Middle Way in the physical sense? Is the Centre Line and the Middle Way, essentially, the same thing? Let me know what you think?

You don't need to watch my video but please do if you want to see exactly what I mean. If you already understand, please give me your thoughts.

Oily Dragon

Senior Master
Reaction score
Hi Everyone, I've made a video about the Centre Line being, aside from being a fighting concept, a physical representation of Buddhist philosophy's Middle Way. What do you all think. Could the Centre Line be the manifestation of the Middle Way in the physical sense? Is the Centre Line and the Middle Way, essentially, the same thing? Let me know what you think?

You don't need to watch my video but please do if you want to see exactly what I mean. If you already understand, please give me your thoughts.

No.

Wing Chun is not just a Buddhist art, there are other influences. The centerline influences come from older styles that liked to Confucianize geometry. Which when you think about it is a very progressive, ontological way of doing things. Later on, it was applied to things like meditations on violence, but that didn't happen for Wing Chun until around the same time the development of the locomotive.

Last edited:

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Also no as the center line is kind of an extremist view. And I don't think the middle way is really meant to be.

Callen

Purple Belt
Reaction score
What do you all think. Could the Centre Line be the manifestation of the Middle Way in the physical sense? Is the Centre Line and the Middle Way, essentially, the same thing? Let me know what you think?
The philosophical approach can help people to actualize their understanding of the Wing Chun system, and that can be a good thing. However IMO, it can also lead to an attempt to connect ideas to the Wing Chun system that simply aren’t there.

My take on the Buddhist concept of Middle Way and the Wing Chun centerline is that if there was a connection, it would have most likely been more of a teaching tool for the mechanics found in the system, as opposed to an actual reflection of Buddhist beliefs. This takes us back to the way in which centerline is defined. Like your previous video, definitions shape the narrative.

For example, what if the vertical fist was the actual fighting concept, not the centerline?

If we consider the classic “chicken or the egg” paradox, in this context it would beg the rhetorical question of which came first, the centerline theory or the vertical fist? If the centerline is simply the by-product (elbow path) of the mechanics behind the vertical fist, then that affects the way we can view the plausibility of a clandestine relationship between the Middle Way and Wing Chun’s centerline. In this way of thinking there is no centerline, only the intentional mechanics that lay the foundation for all of the concepts and principles of the Wing Chun system.

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
If we consider the classic “chicken or the egg” paradox,
No such thing. The egg came first. Absolutely. A near-chicken can lay an egg from which a chicken hatches. A chicken cannot be hatched until that happens. You will need to find some other example.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Wait, I'm confused (again), wasn't the age old paradox, "Which came first, the Chicken Nugget or the Egg McMuffin?"

Or am I making a whopper of an assumption?

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Wait, I'm confused (again), wasn't the age old paradox, "Which came first, the Chicken Nugget or the Egg McMuffin?"

Or am I making a whopper of an assumption?
Chicken Nuggets were invented in 1963. McDonalds introduced their McNugget in 1981. The Egg McMuffin came out in 1975.
So generic nuggets first, then McMuffin, and then the McNugget.
The things you learn on Martial Talk...

Oily Dragon

Senior Master
Reaction score
Chicken Nuggets were invented in 1963. McDonalds introduced their McNugget in 1981. The Egg McMuffin came out in 1975.
So generic nuggets first, then McMuffin, and then the McNugget.
The things you learn on Martial Talk...
Watch out, that's a lot of Mcs.

You're going to attract unwanted attention from corporate.

Latest Discussions