Wing Chun books

bully

Purple Belt
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Shaun Rawcliffes books are very good, they explain alot about WC in general.

The Tao of Gung Fu, which is Bruce Lee's notes thrown together ina book is a good read too.

I am suprised there isnt a dedicated mag for WC, a quarterly thing or something. To be honest there must be more than enough info for one these days. With all the different branches/masters/schools around the world.

I know there have been interviews and articles in general MA mags but it does seem surprising there isnt a WC mag. Especially judging by the quality of some MA mags I see and by the subject of some other mags. God if model trainmakers can think of something to fill a mag every month or so,we must be able to!!

Dont know enough about the subject but its just a thought for you talented writers out there.

Ogriv83

White Belt
Reaction score
There is a online magazine called at wingchunmagazine.com. Is pretty good and there always looking for contributions and idea. The number of knowledable people on here realy could make some good additions.

geezer

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Get to writing and taking the photos and I'll market it so we can get paid.

I would like a in depth WC book about philosphpy and mental part of it amongst other things as opposed to the books that I see available now that just show photos and techniques.

Yep. That's the ticket. History, culture, philosophy,... with some technique. And some beautiful photography, maybe with some really well done calligraphy. An "Art" book as much as a WC book. I've seen some wonderful books like this showcasing traditional Japanese arts as well as Tai Chi. If it was done really well, it would promote our art with dignity and (almost) every lineage would embrace it. Someday, maybe when I retire, I would like to attempt such a thing.

JGreber

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
When it comes to wing chun books, you should go online and look around. Your sure to find something useful. Any of the Leung Ting books are good. If your looking for history on the subject and a general look at the separate wing chun families, then you should pick up Complete Wing Chun, author Robert Chu/ Rene Ritchie.

geezer

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
When it comes to wing chun books, you should go online and look around. Your sure to find something useful. Any of the Leung Ting books are good...[quote]

Leung Ting's books are available through Wing Lam, as is a whole ton of other cool stuff. The trouble with Leung Ting's books is that they are difficult to understand and apply if you haven't trained in his system. Also, like so many books in this field they have a distinctly amateurish look and a lot of typos in the English translation. For example the most recently published book of his on Chi-sau (sections 3 and 4 in the WT system) kept referring to "plugging hand". It made no sense at all... until I saw the reference to the romanized Cantonese term "kau sau" which means "plucking hand". Similar sound...but a huge difference. Oh well, the proof reader was Will Parker. Blame him.

yak sao

Senior Master
Reaction score
Keith Kernspecht's book On Single Combat, is very good. A lot of pictures but nothing visually spectacular, just the typical MA book stuff

Domino

Black Belt
Reaction score
I would recommend the bunch of books Samuel Kwok.
Intro to WC / Mastering WC / Trad wooden dummy book.

you could build a pretty decent manual just copying all Mooks posts to be honest!!! his contributions to to my research has been invaluable.

I agree, knowledge is free, but some dont divulge.
Dont think he has seen so will bumps.

mook jong man

Senior Master
Reaction score
These are books written by my late Sifu Jim Fung.
I don't know if they are still sold , and I don't know if they are available in Britain or America.
But they are pretty easy to read and understand , they're not overloaded with Chinese terminology or too much scientific stuff , just plain English.

WING CHUN KUNG FU
- an effective and logical approach to self defence
by Sifu Jim Fung and Karen Armstrong

THE AUTHENTIC WING CHUN WEAPONS
-long pole and butterfly knives
by Sifu Jim Fung and Karen Armstrong

Tensei85

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Hey Mook,
I've found those books by Sifu Jim Fung to be quite viable. I personally enjoyed the way they were written & presented in fact I've read them quite a few times, definitely recommended.

Domino,
I have "intro to wing chun" but do you know where to purchase the rest? I actually haven't seen the other ones you mentioned.

Thanks,

mook jong man

Senior Master
Reaction score
Hey Mook,
I've found those books by Sifu Jim Fung to be quite viable. I personally enjoyed the way they were written & presented in fact I've read them quite a few times, definitely recommended.

Domino,
I have "intro to wing chun" but do you know where to purchase the rest? I actually haven't seen the other ones you mentioned.

Thanks,

Glad you like it Tensei , I'm quite sick of the blue one to be perfectly honest.
It was our text book , and as an instructor I was expected to read it over and over again and know the sucker back to front.

TinTin_57

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I picked up a book at the used bookstore back in December, "Wing Chun Kung-Fu" by J. Limm Yee (technical editor Bruce Lee), which was published in 1972. Interesting reading, so far I am just skimming it and seeing some similarity to isshinryu, my style karate.

I have this one as well and I read it cover to cover when it arrived. Very good book as are some of the other non Wing Chun ones in this series. I would recommend this one.

bully

Purple Belt
Supporting Member
Reaction score

vincehardy3

Orange Belt
Reaction score
I have many books on Wing Chun, and I agree, "Look Beyond the Pointing Finger: The Combat Philosophy of Wong Shun Leung," by David Patterson is a must read. I consider it to be the most prized book among the assorted reads that I have on Wing Chun. He points out principles that are not shrouded in outdated methods of combat. The info is valuable and very useful for today's fighters.

David Peterson

White Belt
Reaction score
Gentlemen, thank you very much for the generous comments about my book - I hope that re-reading it will continue to provide inspiration in your training in the future - I really don't take much credit for it as the bulk of the contents are the wisdom and legacy of my late Sifu, ...I am simply helping to spread his message to a wider audience now that he is no longer here to do so himself :)

As a word of warning to would-be purchasers of the book: please DO NOT buy copies from 'Amazon.com' as they are NOT selling the actual newly released Expanded 2nd Edition - instead (and completely out of my control) they are selling a cheap facsimile copy of the original 2001 1st Edition of the book which is of an especially inferior quality - caveat emptor!

Latest Discussions