Wing Chun books

Hagakure

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Hey guys,

Just wondering whether you guys read books about Wing Chun, and if so, what it is that you specifically look for? Is there anything for you that agree/think makes a better book? What are the specific areas of interest that keep you enthralled in said book?

Answers on a postcard please. :)

H

AceHBK

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
This is a good topic. I have wondered myself about WC books. I went to a few Barnes & Noble bookstores looking for some WC books.

I found some books, mainly showing step by step techniques. To me this is ok but I can find the same on youtube and it a "moving picture" lol.

I would prefer a book on thought, theories and explanations on things. Technique is fine but more of them mental and in depth stuff is what I am looking for but have yet to find.

Thank goodness I am able to get a lot of it from you guys on here but it would be nice to find a book as well.

OP
Hagakure

Hagakure

Blue Belt
Reaction score
This is a good topic. I have wondered myself about WC books. I went to a few Barnes & Noble bookstores looking for some WC books.

I found some books, mainly showing step by step techniques. To me this is ok but I can find the same on youtube and it a "moving picture" lol.

I would prefer a book on thought, theories and explanations on things. Technique is fine but more of them mental and in depth stuff is what I am looking for but have yet to find.

Thank goodness I am able to get a lot of it from you guys on here but it would be nice to find a book as well.

Agreed. With regards to static photos, they have to be pretty good to be able to learn from them. Although, that said, watching videos can be too quick to catch anything. So... :D

Thanks for the feedback. :)

H

Yoshiyahu

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Well I believe once you have a strong foundation in Wing Chun. Watching Videos and Reading certain books would be a great way to increase your understanding of WC. Along with taking notes in class with your sifu and also making notes of things you learn from your own training. Kinda of like a journal of self practice. It could become a greater book one day you can publish yourself.

Agreed. With regards to static photos, they have to be pretty good to be able to learn from them. Although, that said, watching videos can be too quick to catch anything. So... :D

Thanks for the feedback. :)

H

OP
Hagakure

Hagakure

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Well I believe once you have a strong foundation in Wing Chun. Watching Videos and Reading certain books would be a great way to increase your understanding of WC. Along with taking notes in class with your sifu and also making notes of things you learn from your own training. Kinda of like a journal of self practice. It could become a greater book one day you can publish yourself.

I like it!

If I'm honest, I'm thinking of writing a book about it. Just in the ideas phase at the moment, I've a load myself, but then I thought, what would people want? I've written a few things in the past, never bothered to push for them to be published, they were merely the rough edits, but writing's something I've always enjoyed. So... Just ideas for now though. :)

Yoshiyahu

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I would love to see a manuscript copy of Wong Shun Leung and Yip Man notes on Wing Chun. Imagine someone having every note that Yip Man ever wrote from the time when he first started learning WC to the time when He was very old. You could see how his basic strategy and approach change as he got older. An you could get alot of insight to his training.

I like it!

If I'm honest, I'm thinking of writing a book about it. Just in the ideas phase at the moment, I've a load myself, but then I thought, what would people want? I've written a few things in the past, never bothered to push for them to be published, they were merely the rough edits, but writing's something I've always enjoyed. So... Just ideas for now though. :)

geezer

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I would love to see a manuscript copy of Wong Shun Leung and Yip Man notes on Wing Chun. Imagine someone having every note that Yip Man ever wrote from the time when he first started learning WC to the time when He was very old. You could see how his basic strategy and approach change as he got older. An you could get alot of insight to his training.

Absolutely, Yoshi. How did his approach evolve throughout his life? That's what I was trying to get at answering your post on the Lok Yiu/Leung Ting thread. The closest we can come to finding that out is to look at what is practiced by the best students from various periods of his life. And, because of the egos involved, it would be hard to get an objective view. But if you could look at several top students from each period, you could get a pretty good idea. Too bad we are all too busy trying to prove who's best to openly share that kind of information.

bully

Purple Belt
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Good idea, my wife made me write a training diary and it helps as you can look back at what you were doing.

Sean Rawcliffe mentions in his book that he wrote notes whenever he visited Ip Chun in Hong Kong. He says he has so many note books full of drawings and his thoughts/training etc of the time. They would be a great read I think, especially as he has been travelling to HK since the late 80's to train with Ip Chun.

I read whatever I can get book wise on WC. Alot of them obviously repeat things like the history etc but I think I can get something out of all the WC books I have read, even if is a tiny fraction of the book.

paulus

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Good idea, my wife made me write a training diary and it helps as you can look back at what you were doing.
I think this is a great idea. I've started keeping a record of not just what I do, but also the time I spend on it too. That way, I can tell whether I'm fooling myself into thinking I'm training more than I really am!

Yoshiyahu

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Well the problem I see looking at his students would simply be they too evolved over time. What worked for Yip man not work well for a younger an stronger fighter. What works for Yip Man came from decades of practice. So many other of his students would have had to adapt their WC to their frame,body,strength and agility.

Also everyones mind is different. The way I learn something is different than the way you learn it. For instance. If ten of us was in Yip Man's class at the same time. All ten of us WC would look differently because of our mental intrepretation. Now some basic theories may stay the same but alot of stuff he taught man have been received differently from certain people. So looking at his students wouldn't be the best way to grade his knowledge.

In fact the goal of every teacher is to produce students who kung fu are better than his.

If that was the case would see even more evolution of many of his students.

But is a good idea...maybe because thats the only option to look at his students.

Absolutely, Yoshi. How did his approach evolve throughout his life? That's what I was trying to get at answering your post on the Lok Yiu/Leung Ting thread. The closest we can come to finding that out is to look at what is practiced by the best students from various periods of his life. And, because of the egos involved, it would be hard to get an objective view. But if you could look at several top students from each period, you could get a pretty good idea. Too bad we are all too busy trying to prove who's best to openly share that kind of information.

So name some things you got out reading various books on WC?

Bully Posted; Good idea, my wife made me write a training diary and it helps as you can look back at what you were doing.

Sean Rawcliffe mentions in his book that he wrote notes whenever he visited Ip Chun in Hong Kong. He says he has so many note books full of drawings and his thoughts/training etc of the time. They would be a great read I think, especially as he has been travelling to HK since the late 80's to train with Ip Chun.

I read whatever I can get book wise on WC. Alot of them obviously repeat things like the history etc but I think I can get something out of all the WC books I have read, even if is a tiny fraction of the book.

qwksilver61

Black Belt
Reaction score
My most favorites; the "Wing Tsun Kuen", "Dynamic Wing Tsun"& "Tao of Jeet Kune Do"
(geezers mug?;) Dynamic was published in 1986 I had the pleasure of meeting
GM leung Ting and Sifu Robert Jacquet a year later at a seminar that came to our town.I remember that day like it was yesterday.

bigbadade

White Belt
Reaction score
I agree with you guys on the step by step pictures V theory content of the book. A few great examples of, in my opinion grwat WC books are 'Why Wing Chun Works', 'Simple thinking Intelligent Fighters' by Alan Gibson and also 'Wing Chun' by Ip Chun and 'Simply Wing Chun' by Shaun Rawcliffe.....

bully

Purple Belt
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I agree with you guys on the step by step pictures V theory content of the book. A few great examples of, in my opinion grwat WC books are 'Why Wing Chun Works', 'Simple thinking Intelligent Fighters' by Alan Gibson and also 'Wing Chun' by Ip Chun and 'Simply Wing Chun' by Shaun Rawcliffe.....

Got all but the intelligent fighters one, very good books.

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I picked up a book at the used bookstore back in December, "Wing Chun Kung-Fu" by J. Limm Yee (technical editor Bruce Lee), which was published in 1972. Interesting reading, so far I am just skimming it and seeing some similarity to isshinryu, my style karate.

bs10927

Orange Belt
Reaction score
i have a book called Close Range Combat. the 1st of a series.
it's pretty good. i refer to it once in a while. i'll get the 2nd book when i get a chance. i think it'd be worth checking out.

Ogriv83

White Belt
Reaction score
Ive got Shawn Rawcliffe's Simply Wing Chun and think its great. I have a few others handed down to me but i havn't looked at them yet.

matsu

Purple Belt
Reaction score
hey guys
as with anything i do i try to find out as much as i can relevant to it.
karate/bonsai/bodybuilding/cars and wing chun,for example!
none of these are five minute wonders. each lasted at least 8 years and wing chun keeps me occupied that i can see me doing this far longer altho i,m only a year in!
i have always written training journals-weights to keep an accurate score of how much i ncresed each lift for an example.
and now each class i write at least one page of scribble trying to remember some key things i learnt that night- a drill a foot position. a comment on how someone else remembers to do something
i collect books full stop-on every aspect of my hobbies-even now i peruse karate books!!#
and dont forget if you go through all these topics on all these pages here on this website and every other WC?WT site you could cut and paste soooooo much info it would be impossible to absorb.
you could build a pretty decent manual just copying all mooks posts to be honest!!! his contributions to to my research has been invaluable.let alone kamon guys si-je and yoshi!
so much stuuf. has someone honestly collated all this and tried to find a way of structuring all the amazing info we've all read .......and forgot!
let alone a folder full of youtube clips to learn from!
just my tuppence!!
matsu

geezer

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
One thing I haven't seen so far is a really beautiful book on WC/WT. You know, something in a big, hardbound coffee-table format with beautiful photography, elegant type-set and lay-out, and quality information. Leung Ting's Wing Tsun Kuen has the size and depth, but artistically speaking has about as much appeal as a high school year book. I'd like to find a book as aesthetically pleasing and sophisticated as the art of WT/WC. Have any of you come across anything like that?

AceHBK

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
One thing I haven't seen so far is a really beautiful book on WC/WT. You know, something in a big, hardbound coffee-table format with beautiful photography, elegant type-set and lay-out, and quality information. Leung Ting's Wing Tsun Kuen has the size and depth, but artistically speaking has about as much appeal as a high school year book. I'd like to find a book as aesthetically pleasing and sophisticated as the art of WT/WC. Have any of you come across anything like that?

Get to writing and taking the photos and I'll market it so we can get paid.

I would like a in depth WC book about philosphpy and mental part of it amongst other things as opposed to the books that I see available now that just show photos and techniques.

Joab

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
My former Wing Chun school used to make "The Tao of Wing Chun" By Sifu James DeMille required reading. I didn't read it. DeMille was a student of Bruce Lee for a few months. The Sifu that required it was a fellow Sifu, John N. Beal, he used to be DeMille's student until he came up with his own system Tsun Jo Wing Chun. A friend read it, he said it was new agey, and that was the biggest difference between DeMille and Beal, Beal wasn't into new agey stuff. This is from a friend, I don't know if that is true.

Latest Discussions