Wing Chun Book?

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
I was looking for a book on Wing Chun does anyone have any recommendations?

I have read Wing Chun Martial Arts: Principles & Techniques by Yip Chun, Danny Connor, but that is the only book on Wing Chun I have read.

The Wing Chun Compendium (Paperback) by Wayne Belonoha was suggested, but it is apparently out of print.

Thank You
XS

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Stu said:
"Complete Wing Chun"

A very good book and a great resource, which I highly recommend, but more a compare and contrast type of thing than about techniques as such...it may or may not be what you want.

I've seen this one recommended, but can't comment personally:
The Wing Chun Compendium
by Wayne Belonoha
http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/1583941290/

JBrainard

Senior Master
Reaction score
"Mastering Kung Fu: Featuring Wing Chun Kung Fu"

It's highly regarded, allthough I haven't read it myself.

Changhfy

Green Belt
Reaction score
I agree with JBrainard. Ive personally read Mastering Kung Fu 3 times. Its one of the best books i have purchased. Also look for some of Grandmaster Moy Yat's books. There hard to get but are worth it. Such as Ving Tsun trilogy, Luk Dim Poon Kwan, his Muk Yan Jong book is pretty good. Also Sunny Tang has a few good books such as his Biu Jee Chi Sau book is awesome. Samuel Kwok's Path to Wing Chun was pretty good.

xie xie,
zai jian

ed-swckf

Black Belt
Reaction score
Changhfy said:
Samuel Kwok's Path to Wing Chun was pretty good.

xie xie,
zai jian

Are you serious? I mean i have spent years under sam's teaching and sam is a great representative for wing chun and has made some great footage available but there really is nothing about his book that stands out at all to me.

ed-swckf

Black Belt
Reaction score
Xue Sheng said:
I was looking for a book on Wing Chun does anyone have any recommendations?

I have read Wing Chun Martial Arts: Principles & Techniques by Yip Chun, Danny Connor, but that is the only book on Wing Chun I have read.

The Wing Chun Compendium (Paperback) by Wayne Belonoha was suggested, but it is apparently out of print.

Thank You
XS

Out of interest what is it you want from the book?

Wayne's book isn't bad, quite in depth but from a particular viewpoint, its useful as a reference for forms and theory. It does cover things like pressure points, fitness and has a fairly decent glossary of terminology as well as the usual look at forms and chi sau. The book is still in print and is only a couple of years old its just not always easy to get.

OP
Xue Sheng

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
ed-swckf said:
Out of interest what is it you want from the book?

This is a good question and I don't really know. I am just trying to learn more about Wing Chun. A friend of mine is a teacher of it and a student of one of the Ip family either Chun or Ching I always get thier names mixewd up. After some discussions I have found that there is more to it than I originally thought when I trained it, briefly, many years ago. And what I am finding I rather like. I just want to find out more if possible.

ed-swckf

Black Belt
Reaction score
Xue Sheng said:
This is a good question and I don't really know. I am just trying to learn more about Wing Chun. A friend of mine is a teacher of it and a student of one of the Ip family either Chun or Ching I always get thier names mixewd up. After some discussions I have found that there is more to it than I originally thought when I trained it, briefly, many years ago. And what I am finding I rather like. I just want to find out more if possible.

I know how that goes, when i first started learning wing chun i bought up pretty much every book on the market to do with wing chun, to be honest with a few exceptions its a case of read one read them all!! Thats not to say i didn't get something from all of them but a lot of books are more about promoting the author than anything else and they just cover some basic principles. I've got a number of books that are pretty much identical in content, which is great as it consolidates a particular ammount of information but as you learn it can become detrimental. Are you not actively training in wing chun now? Either way i would echo stu's recommendations as the 2 books you will probably get the most useful information from. Of course the internet is a wealth of information, theres often a decent article lurking here there and everywhere. You could read this online publication also http://www.wingchunteahouse.org/

Latest Discussions