Dummy Practice

Stu

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
IÂ’ve been practicing Wing Chun for about 18 months now and IÂ’m about mid way through Chum kiu level.
IÂ’ve just recently started the wooden dummy and apart from the inevitable lumps and bruises that where obviously going to happen when you start hitting wood with your arms IÂ’ve got a question that maybe you guys and girls can help with.

The first time I used the dummy I went at it like a bull in a china shop and whacked the living hell out of it, I think my Sifu probably kept his mouth shut as he thought to himself “hmmm that’s going to hurt him in the morning.. he’ll learn”
IÂ’ve since learnt that hitting the dummy isnÂ’t necessary about cracking it as hard as you can and its about getting your correct posture/ footwork, application of techiniques etcÂ…. but surely its also about conditioning of your arms as well? So how hard is too hard for a beginner on one of these things and should I not really be worried about that at the moment as the power and conditioning is something that will just develop over time?
Should I just be more concerned with learning the dummy form first and making sure that itÂ’s done right before adding more power?

(actually reading that back to myself I think IÂ’ve actually answered my own question, IÂ’ll post this anyway. Sometimes itÂ’s good to type something out to make your own thoughts a bit clearer)

Street Brawler

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Stu said:
IÂ’ve been practicing Wing Chun for about 18 months now and IÂ’m about mid way through Chum kiu level.
IÂ’ve just recently started the wooden dummy and apart from the inevitable lumps and bruises that where obviously going to happen when you start hitting wood with your arms IÂ’ve got a question that maybe you guys and girls can help with.

The first time I used the dummy I went at it like a bull in a china shop and whacked the living hell out of it, I think my Sifu probably kept his mouth shut as he thought to himself “hmmm that’s going to hurt him in the morning.. he’ll learn”
IÂ’ve since learnt that hitting the dummy isnÂ’t necessary about cracking it as hard as you can and its about getting your correct posture/ footwork, application of techiniques etcÂ…. but surely its also about conditioning of your arms as well? So how hard is too hard for a beginner on one of these things and should I not really be worried about that at the moment as the power and conditioning is something that will just develop over time?
Should I just be more concerned with learning the dummy form first and making sure that itÂ’s done right before adding more power?

(actually reading that back to myself I think IÂ’ve actually answered my own question, IÂ’ll post this anyway. Sometimes itÂ’s good to type something out to make your own thoughts a bit clearer)

Which lineage do you train in pal?:) . Now Chum Kui combines footwork with attacks. Same concepts applied in the Dummy form is to show you how you can alter some of the attacks and correct mistakes. So when it comes to a street brawl, you become with less mistakes and 1,2,3 and game over:) (don't forget to spar pal, it's important, make it controlled and fast and go for the center, wheather your opponent attacks up or trying to take you down, strong trained punches will knock down, no doubts about it):ultracool .

profesormental

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Hi!

The Dummy is like a ruler and protractor that you use to draw straight lines in prescise angles... The dummy helps you develop prescise structure so taht strikes from opponents can be controlled and effective counters can be achieved.

Also, the triangular footwork ingrains the positioning for Chi Kir and cheking the opponentst legs...

plus the takedowns and or course, the kicks. The applications to the Dummy also give isometric resistance so in many instances you'll have a lot of power in your techniques...

So it's not to train to whack the dead wood out of the dummy... you get that conditioning from wallbags and your training partners in drills...

Yet emphasis is given to "sticking" and rooting with strong pulling actions.

Also remember that these actions are to be done at close range...

Chum Kiu should teach you how to close the gap in sparring, so then you can make full use of the dummy techniques.

Just some insight in a nutshell. Enjoy!!

Sincerely,

Juan M. Mercado

OP
S

Stu

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
My lineage is this.
My Sifu was initially trained by Joseph Cheng who was trained by Lee Shing> Ng Chung Sok > Chan Wah Shun > Leung Jan

Later on he started to teach under the Yip Chun Syllabus and recently he now teaches the Yip Ching Syllabus (having been taught by both)

What we learn still consists alot of the Lee Shing side of Wing Chun.
I've been sparring for the best part of 4 years now so i'm aware of the importance of it, it just took me a while to find a style that suited me ie Wing Chun.

OP
S

Stu

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
THanks Juan,

I think you posted that at the same time I posted my last one. Some useful info there.. cheers.

barnaby

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
looks like you got the info you wanted. only thing I'd add is something called dit da jao. iron palm, hard training on the dummy and such should be accompanied by some healing aid, and some time off would be advisable too I think. I am of course going to be a little on the cautious side where hands are concerned being that my other art is music.

OP
S

Stu

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I've been using Woodlock for about a year for my injuries ie sprains and bruises etc.. i'm still not 100% sure if its the woodlock thats helping the healing process or the application of it which consists of massaging the oil into the skin for about 10 mins.

I do quite a bit of training on my wallbag as well and always seem to over do it and end up with knackered bleeding knuckles which I have to wait until they heal before I can practice again.

If you have any special healing ointments that you swear by then i'd be more than grateful to hear about them.

barnaby

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I'm not sure what Woodlock is. When I was doing iron palm, I used the dit I bought from the acupuncture practitioner my teacher was renting from at the time and did enjoy the results. http://www.dragonslist.com/discussion/traditional-chinese-medicine/8866-dit-da-jow.html
this link has an extensive conversation about the stuff, a link to purchase, and recipes as well but I can't speak regarding the information as all I ever did was use the stuff and muse over the ingredients briefly.

ed-swckf

Black Belt
Reaction score
Stu said:

Hi stu,

Although your points have been answered i just wanted to raise the idea of staying stuck to the dummy as much as possible. Yip ching and yip chung both advocate this principle and in doing this you can develop a different sort of conditioning that deals with core strength, positioning and structure as well as a sensitivity of how your body fits and feels when put in a variety of positional scenarios.

You obviously are aware that the dummy isn't for conditioning arms to be tough although a little conditioning occurs during training but your main focus is the principles within the form as you have already expressed.

Latest Discussions