Wing Chun and sparring - staying true to techniques

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Further to that by sparring early, because begginers dont know how to move, dont have the right reflexes, strength, speed etc. They can develop bad habits, wrong reactions which end up being a set back later on when you do learn to apply it all correctly.
My believe is completely the opposite.

I had my sparring in very early stage. Our sparring was one person played offense while another person played defense. While I was playing defense, I had to

- move my head to dodge my opponent's punches.
- use footwork to control the distance.

I had learned "head dodging" and "footwork" in my sparring during the first day. I have seen many of my classmates who didn't spar early. They had built "bad habit" by "not knowing" how to

- move their head away from their opponent's punches, and
- use footwork to move their body out of their opponent's attacking path.

The funny thing was when I started to train forms, I just could not find any form that has "head dodging". Can you learn "head dodging" through solo form train? I don't think you can.

obi_juan_salami

Green Belt
Reaction score
My believe is completely the opposite.

I had my sparring in very early stage. Our sparring was one person played offense while another person played defense. While I was playing defense, I had to

- move my head to dodge my opponent's punches.
- use footwork to control the distance.

I had learned "head dodging" and "footwork" in my sparring during the first day. I have seen many of my classmates who didn't spar early. They had built "bad habit" by "not knowing" how to

- move their head away from their opponent's punches, and
- use footwork to move their body out of their opponent's attacking path.

The funny thing was when I started to train forms, I just could not find any form that has "head dodging". Can you learn "head dodging" through solo form train? I don't think you can.

Thats great that that worked for you in the art you are practicing. Im talking about wing chun

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Indeed. But developed and trained obviously using different methods we consider better for the use and practice of our particular style
The "head dodging" doesn't exist in any of those 3 WC forms. Why?

Actually, it doesn't exist in any of the CMA forms that I know (except 2 men form). In other words, you can only learn "head dodging" through sparring.

obi_juan_salami

Green Belt
Reaction score
The "head dodging" doesn't exist in any of those 3 WC forms. Why?

Actually, it doesn't exist in any of the CMA forms that I know (except 2 men form). In other words, you can only learn "head dodging" through sparring.

Most Wing chun does not use "head dodging" thats why it isnt in the forms.

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Most Wing chun does not use "head dodging" thats why it isnt in the forms.
This is why the more you spar, the more you will fight like a kick-boxer. Through sparring, you will learn something that your MA system won't be able to teach you.

IMO, you (general YOU) can learn:

- head dodging,
- footwork,
- low roundhouse kick,
- hay-maker,

even if your MA system don't emphasize those.

obi_juan_salami

Green Belt
Reaction score
This is why the more you spar, the more you will fight like a kick-boxer. Through sparring, you will learn something that your MA system won't be able to teach you.

IMO, you (general YOU) can learn:

- head dodging,
- footwork,
- low roundhouse kick,
- hay-maker,

even if your MA system don't emphasize those.

Awesome of thats what you get out of it. But they are not our goals or what we consider sparring to be for :)

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Awesome of thats what you get out of it. But they are not our goals or what we consider sparring to be for :)
What's your goal?

- To be a good general fighter, or
- To be a good WC fighter?

I can only speak for myself. I want to be a good general fighter. I don't want any MA system to tell me how I should fight. I'll use any technique, any strategy, from any MA system as long as it can help my fighting ability.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What's your goal?

- To be a good fighter, or
- To be a good WC fighter?

I can only speak for myself. I want to be a good fighter. I don't want any MA system to tell me how I should fight.
I agree, but not everyone has that aim. Some folks want to become good at fighting with a specific system. I've met some very skilled fighters that took that route. I think it takes more effort, because of the natural limitations of one art, but if it works for them, that's fine by me.

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Some folks want to become good at fighting with a specific system.
If I want to be a good "long fist" fighter (my primary MA system), I will never be able to integrate "single leg" into my fighting. IMO, to have "style boundary" can be a physical restriction on myself. It can prevent me from growing.

I had visited my long fist teacher many years after I had learned from him. At that time, my personal interest was no longer in "long fist" any more.

I don't understand why people may want to be a good style fighter. After all, MA style is your slave. You are the true master.

Last edited:

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I think it takes more effort, because of the natural limitations of one art, ...
Sometime even "more effort" still cannot solve your problem. When a solution already exist in a MA system outside of your primary MA system, it makes no sense to re-invent the wheel. you should just use it. I like the concept of

- Yours can be mine.
- Mine is still mine.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
How is there even a contradiction between being good at wing chun or good at sparring?

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If I want to be a good "long fist" fighter (my primary MA system), I will never be able to integrate "single leg" into my fighting. IMO, to have "style boundary" can be a physical restriction on myself. It can prevent me from growing.

I had visited my long fist teacher many years after I had learned from him. At that time, my personal interest was no longer in "long fist" any more.

I don't understand why people may want to be a good style fighter. After all, MA style is your slave. You are the true master.
Just because it isn't your path or mine, that doesn't make it a wrong path.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
How is there even a contradiction between being good at wing chun or good at sparring?
I think it's a matter of how one views an art. If I looked at NGA as a container, then to be good at NGA (specifically), I'd need to work within the container. If I view NGA as a starting point and set of tools to build on, then being good at NGA simply means using those tools effectively (with whatever other tools I use).

obi_juan_salami

Green Belt
Reaction score
Sometime even "more effort" still cannot solve your problem. When a solution already exist in a MA system outside of your primary MA system, it makes no sense to re-invent the wheel. you should just use it. I like the concept of

- Yours can be mine.
- Mine is still mine.

Each to their own.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I think it's a matter of how one views an art. If I looked at NGA as a container, then to be good at NGA (specifically), I'd need to work within the container. If I view NGA as a starting point and set of tools to build on, then being good at NGA simply means using those tools effectively (with whatever other tools I use).

But it is their art. They should be able to organise sparring in some manner that allows them to functionally aply it.

I mean capoeira spar. And they are as far removed from kickboxing as you can get.

obi_juan_salami

Green Belt
Reaction score
But it is their art. They should be able to organise sparring in some manner that allows them to functionally aply it.

I mean capoeira spar. And they are as far removed from kickboxing as you can get.

Wing chun does spar. Just not until later in some schools

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
If you train to develop the principles, and recognize that techniques are principles in use, then you can do whatever you want and "style" disappears.

Latest Discussions