Why You (Probably) Should Not Carry A Weapon

He seems to agree with you, when he doesn't have his gun advocate jersey on:
It's a fun little contradiction. You don't need to be responsible with guns because the risk is low. But you need to carry guns because of the risk.

The chance that a criminal will punch you is incredibly low. But we still train for that possibility.
The chance that I'll have a flat tire is incredibly low. But I still carry a spare.
The chance that my kitchen will catch fire is incredibly low. But I still have smoke detectors and fire extinguishers.
The chance of a CO leak in my house is incredibly low. But I still have CO detectors.

Then don't. But you don't get to make that decision for me.

You are correct. The worst part is children can't carry guns. And they are the most vulnerable.

And we make that decision for other people's children. Which is just attacking people's right to parent.

You are correct. The worst part is children can't carry guns. And they are the most vulnerable.

And we make that decision for other people's children. Which is just attacking people's right to parent.
Children DO carry guns here. I’ve been shot at by children, more than once, one of whom I’m fairly certain was around 13 years old at the time. He didn’t seem too vulnerable to me, until he was hit in the head with a tire iron by a close friend of mine, but I digress…

I should mention that I was 16 at the time, so that was 36 years ago, maybe things have changed?

It's a fun little contradiction. You don't need to be responsible with guns because the risk is low. But you need to carry guns because of the risk.
What a load of horsecrap. This isn't unusual for you, though. It's called a strawman argument. You make up something nobody has said.

Children DO carry guns here. I’ve been shot at by children, more than once, one of whom I’m fairly certain was around 13 years old at the time. He didn’t seem too vulnerable to me, until he was hit in the head with a tire iron by a close friend of mine, but I digress…

Good to see 13 year olds can protect themselves.

Good to see 13 year olds can protect themselves.
He didn’t. He racked the slide of an already loaded and chambered pistol and fired at me from 6 feet, it missed me and hit my friends car, that friend had exited the car with a tire iron and circled behind. When the 13ish kid fired, my friend cleaned his clock with the tire iron. A chaotic melee ensued which ended with me taking a severe beating and subsequently being rescued by friends. The 13 year old was not successful at defending himself either.

He didn’t. He racked the slide of an already loaded and chambered pistol and fired at me from 6 feet, it missed me and hit my friends car, that friend had exited the car with a tire iron and circled behind. When the 13ish kid fired, my friend cleaned his clock with the tire iron. A chaotic melee ensued which ended with me taking a severe beating and subsequently being rescued by friends. The 13 year old was not successful at defending himself either.
I am not sure what your point is here. Statistically that probably won't happen. If he didn't use the gun responsibly. That is what the police are for.

Are you sure he wasn't just threatening you with it. Or shooting to incapacitate and not kill?

Last edited:
Back