why the Lone Ranger flopped...

OP
B

billc

Grandmaster
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Eastwood is nearly 80....although he is to Westerns what Chuck Norris is to the rest of the world, I don't think he would be believable riding through a train...not to mention the Lone Ranger never killed anybody....Eastwood's punks never were that lucky!

I meant directing the movie...

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
I like Clint in his old westerns, but I think he's overrated as a director.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

Tgace

Grandmaster
Reaction score
The whole "Bruckheimeresque" look to the movie turned me off right from the previews.

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk 2

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
If you take it as just a fun movie then you will enjoy it. If you want it to be a gritty western then you will be disappointed.

Haakon

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Johnny Depp as Tonto alone probably turned off more people than went to see it. Who wants Cap'n Jack Sparrow in the old west destroying a classic character? Maybe they should have looked at Wild Wild West for inspiration if they wanted to make a western comedy, it may not be the greatest movie and certainly not the greatest western, but it was funny and entertaining.

I'll probably watch it when it gets released on HBO and don't have to pay extra for it.

Blindside

Grandmaster
Founding Member
Reaction score
I didn't go to it because I thought it looked ridiculous, same reason I didn't go to see Will Smiths "Wild Wild West."

OP
B

billc

Grandmaster
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
I like Clint in his old westerns, but I think he's overrated as a director.

I think he can do a good western, but you're right...I thought that movie about the car and the gang in the city was dumb, and the ending was unfulfilling.

I didn't go to it because I thought it looked ridiculous, same reason I didn't go to see Will Smiths "Wild Wild West."

As a kid, I really liked the television show Wild Wild West...but that movie was just bad.

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
My wife and daughter thought The Lone Ranger was OK--but they're not Western fans so they probably viewed it differently.

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
It was a Will Smith steampunk flic...cute, but not related to the TV show...

Big Don

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score

The girl I was dating at the time demanded I take her to see Wild Wild West.
Then, 20 minutes in, she demanded we leave...
That movie was almost as bad as the Brady Bunch Movie

Randy Strausbaugh

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Over all, I found the movie to be a disappointment. Westerns should have at least one of the following:
A) A sense of adventure. The train chase at the end was OK, but the rest of the film fell flat.
B) A feeling of realism. This movie gets a Zero here.

All the while I watched The Lone Ranger, it seemed to me that too many elements were stolen from the two most recent Zorro movies.

As for the star, I guess Armie Hammer is no Clinton Spillsbury. But then, who is?

Latest Discussions