Why some people still don't want to wear mask?

Status
Not open for further replies.

JR 137

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Are

- seat belt requirement,
- don't drink while driving,
- no smoking in restaurant,

also freedom issue?
Not all states have a seatbelt law. And motorcycle helmet law. They consider it a freedom issue. New Hampshire doesn’t have them. State motto is Live Free or Die. It’s on their license plates, made by people in prison ;)

OP
Kung Fu Wang

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
There is no common sense with the airlines. I flew in July and was on the plane for over three hours, all of us cramped in together, full flight, middle seats full, and then as we walked off the plane we were told "practice social distancing, your safety is our top priority." Biggest stench of bulls--- I ever got a sniff of.
Why take the risk if you don't need to? Is it better to avoid problem?

Danny T

Senior Master
Reaction score
I don't like wearing a mask but I do understand other's feelings. I follow the CDC recommendations.
Per the CDC website; "CDC recommends that you wear masks in public settings around people who don’t live in your household and when you can’t stay 6 feet away from others."

6 feet away from others...there are many places where people gather and can keep 6 feet or more away from each other.

geezer

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Whether or not it's a politics issue...why is it a General Martial Arts issue?

Saying "it's a people issue, not a politics issue" is just a cop-out so you don't have to listen to any other opinions. You've rejected all other opinions except for your own. If any other opinions come in, you just look down on the person instead of listening to them. You've decided what's fact or not, and you've decided that your understanding is more correct than anyone else's. While that is a perfectly valid position to take for yourself, it's entirely an overstep to assume that everyone else should agree with you.

It's angry comments like this that get threads locked. I understand that some of you are carrying some ...animus? from previous threads. Maybe it's time to walk it back a bit guys and just know that others will disagree. Hey all, let's show a little self control.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
Enlighten me, John. Why would I want to wear a mask outdoors, in the open air when no other people are close by? When I go out to walk the dog, I don't wear a mask, and I never come within 20 yards of anyone else. Heck 50 yards is rare.

When I go to the store, I park, grab my mask that's hanging off my turn signal lever, and put it on as I walk across the parking lot and approach the entrance to the store. And even then, I keep my distance from others. Should I be wearing a mask every moment I'm out of my house? ...like my paranoid neighbor I see wearing a mask when driving around in his car with the windows up? Is there any logical reason to behave that way?

No politics ...just give me some factual data as to the advantage of behaving like that!
I wear a mask if I'm anywhere closer than about 12 to 15 feet of folks outside. Otherwise, I don't.

If I'm going into a store I'll out my mask on in the car.

OP
Kung Fu Wang

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I just feel sorry for those death. Some of them don't have to die if people wear masks.

Taiwan death = 7.

US death = 184K.

The Foster Farms Poultry Planet has more death than the whole Taiwan has. It makes no sense.

Foster Farms Poultry Plant Ordered Closed After COVID Outbreak Kills 8 and Infects 358 Workers

Last edited:

geezer

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I wear a mask if I'm anywhere closer than about 12 to 15 feet of folks outside. Otherwise, I don't.

You are more careful than I am. And your behavior protects others, so ...Good on you mate!

EdwardA

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Gee, I'm surprised no one gets the political aspect, but I will without arguing either side. Some people believe in as much liberty as possible and as little government as possible, making it individual choice. They tend to be conservative. That makes it a political issue. I'm not making an argument in either direction.

I didn't wear one at all until it was state law, then I did. I however, live in a rural area, live alone and don't socialize. I might have considered wearing one sooner in a city environment, by my own choice. I did get the sars-covid 2017 version, it was painful in the upper lungs, but I knocked it down in 2.5 days taking 6000 milligrams vitamin C per day for that time. I have a strong immune system.

Last edited:

EdwardA

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Are

- seat belt requirement,
- don't drink while driving,
- no smoking in restaurant,

also freedom issue?

Partially, but I'd rather see people made to ride motorcycles for the first five years...solve lots of problems. Lol.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This is why I'm afraid to go to California this year. My California friend told me that 50% of the California people don't wear mask outdoor.
Outdoors, if you're not near someone (and not part of a gathering), the mask isn't necessary. Natural air currents disperse droplets pretty efficiently. Of course, that all changes if you're somewhere you'll be interacting with people regularly.

This is why I only teach outdoors, with distancing, for now.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My friend in Taiwan told me that it's not a politics issue in Taiwan. Why it can be a politics issue in US?

Taiwan-mask.jpg
Because some decided to make it such. Different people will disagree as to which group that is, and that's all I can say without getting political.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm afraid to travel because I don't want to be crammed into a sealed airplane breathing the same air as a hundred or more strangers for hours. Once you get to your destination, you have many options, but getting there... that's another story!

So I take day trips in my car.
Agreed. I've turned down work that would require flying.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score

This is what I aim for. I'll admit I'm not perfect - I catch myself being a little slow with the mask sometimes. Apparently, old habits and all that.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Gee, I'm surprised no one gets the political aspect, but I will without arguing either side. Some people believe in as much liberty as possible and as little government as possible, making it individual choice. They tend to be conservative. That makes it a political issue. I'm not making an argument in either direction.

I didn't wear one at all until it was state law, then I did. I however, live in a rural area, live alone and don't socialize. I might have considered wearing one sooner in a city environment, by my own choice. I did get the sars-covid 2017 version, it was painful in the upper lungs, but I knocked it down in 2.5 days taking 6000 milligrams vitamin C per day for that time. I have a strong immune system.
I'm glad you recovered from that so quickly. Just dropping this here for others - there's no evidence I could find that high doses of vitamin C have any effect on viral infection.

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
This is why I'm afraid to go to California this year. My California friend told me that 50% of the California people don't wear mask outdoor.
Outdoors?
that isn't so bad. you got air flow and stay back from people.
Unless of course you have a bunch of idiots who crowd the beaches.

Again, the political reason it is political violates the no-politics reason (which sadly restricts a lot of important topics, because, let's face it, special life is political).

But I give you a little hint:
It starts with the head of state.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
Fun fact, the air on a plane is pretty fresh, turned over 100% about every 3 to 5 minutes. It’s about as close to constantly fresh air as you can get inside, and certainly fresher than in your home when the ac is on.

The dangers on planes are dirty surfaces and idiots who think not wearing a mask is a liberty. It’s political in the USA because all of these idiots support the same party.

JR 137

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Fun fact, the air on a plane is pretty fresh, turned over 100% about every 3 to 5 minutes. It’s about as close to constantly fresh air as you can get inside, and certainly fresher than in your home when the ac is on.

The dangers on planes are dirty surfaces and idiots who think not wearing a mask is a liberty. It’s political in the USA because all of these idiots support the same party.
Trust me, not all of the idiots support the same party. I live in a heavily other party state and area, and there’s plenty of idiots not wearing them and arguing about it who aren’t red. They may be louder or covered more by the media, but they’re not the only idiots. Not by a long shot.

Idiocy knows no race, gender, religious, political, etc. bounds. That’s one of the very few things I’m certain of in life.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest Discussions