why so many seem to dislike MMA

Master Dan

Master Black Belt
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Boxing has been watered down a lot since the original boxing started, it was the introduction of the Queensberry rules that took out, the throws, kicks grappling etc.

I was thinking of Ali when he faught more recent history but you are right it seems any original sport gets modified to meet the conditions of the Olympic.

punisher73

Senior Master
Reaction score
As to the original topic, I have been watching UFC since it first came out and watch other promotions as well. I can't stand watching TUF because most of those guys are punks and bullies and just want to hurt people. They give the professional fighters and MMA as a whole a bad image.

Around where I live, most of the guys who claim to "train in MMA" are just criminal thugs who like to fight and just fight with each other doing whatever they see on the UFC, it isn't formal training. So what is the public perception around here of MMA? For the uneducated not very good. There is another group of various people at various places who train in MMA and are great guys and low key, you wouldn't know that they train in MMA. Squeaky wheel and all....

BUT, my main gripe about MMA (image issues aside) is that here in the US, the popular belief is that any other martial arts is worthless unless you see it in the cage. The belief in the US is that the only striking that works is boxing with some muay thai thrown in and BJJ/wrestling. Anything else will NOT work on the street or help you defend yourself.

Hmmm, always have to love an anonymous neg and an "I disapprove" comment, yet no one actually posted anything that they disagreed with about this post. I would love to discuss what you don't agree with.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
Hmmm, always have to love an anonymous neg and an "I disapprove" comment, yet no one actually posted anything that they disagreed with about this post. I would love to discuss what you don't agree with.
Edit to add: Pet peeve of mine, too. I think it's a little chicken**** to negative rep a post and not put your name on it. But that's just me. I figure, if it's not something I feel strongly enough about to put my name on it, I probably shouldn't do it.

I don't agree with it entirely, but there are points that I certainly agree with.

TUF has been a love/hate thing for me. It really was what moved MMA to free TV and largely to where it is now, but it seems like the producers of the show have no idea why it's popular. One of the fighters said once (I think Matt Danzig) that it took days to get healthy food, but they could call day or night and get alcohol. Very telling.

I have said many times that, at least in my opinion, how you train is as important as what you train. If you're pressure testing your techniques and working against actual, unpredictable resistance, I think you're going to have a lot more success than if you don't.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Know what you mean, it seems sneaky to put it anonomously when the discussion is an open one, many disagree with what I say but you'll always know it's me who said it!

I think it's sad that the perception of MMAers you have isn't a good one, if I lived closer iI'd try to show you a different view of us.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
images
images
images

From left to right James Saville, Lisa Higo and Abdul Mohammed.

James is an up and coming young pro fighter, Lisa fought in America winning three fights in one night to gain a world championship belt, Abdul is an ex Olympic wrestler fro Afdghanistan who settled here and is a very good pro MMA fighter.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
images
images
images

left to right again Andre Winner, Tom Blackledge and Marc Goddard.

Andre seen on TUF USA v UK, Tom from Wolfslair can be seen coaching in TUFs and Marc Goddard who refs UFC here. Both Tom and Marc fight as well.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
There's limits on posting photos but I wanted to show you another side of MMA, these guys aren't the thugs and bullies, they all take MMA seriously as a martial arts, all train at places which are open to anyone who shares their view of MMA.

FD, we are planning on having a fight night in Feb in the SG's gym up here for their and 4 Bde's funds, will be a good night, if you want to come up :)

punisher73

Senior Master
Reaction score
Around where I live, most of the guys who claim to "train in MMA" are just criminal thugs who like to fight and just fight with each other doing whatever they see on the UFC, it isn't formal training. So what is the public perception around here of MMA? For the uneducated not very good. There is another group of various people at various places who train in MMA and are great guys and low key, you wouldn't know that they train in MMA. Squeaky wheel and all....

I don't have an overall bad view of MMA guys. Notice, I said that "most" of the guys who claim to train in MMA don't actually train in it around where I'm from, they just tell people they train it and wear all the clothing. The guys I have worked with and trained with who acutally fight in MMA (one even fought in King of the Cage a couple of times) are great guys and you wouldn't even know they train in it unless you got to know them.

There have even been a couple of local shows that I caught on the local access vision. Almost all of the guys in the show, I recognized as inmates from when I worked in the jail. They don't actually train anywhere other than getting in bar fights, but they tell everyone that they are MMA guys. The guys I know that actually train wouldn't enter these shows at all because it's basically a human cockfight for the spectators to see someone get beat up.

I made the distinction because most people who don't actually train in MMA or know MMA other than TUF, tend to see the bad element of it and have a bad perception of it. I think Dana White has made a huge disservice marketing many of the UFC bouts like you would a WWE event and trying to bring in that crowd, who do just want to see someone get beat up and don't appreciate the finer details of the sport.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think you are half right, kata works as self defence if the Bunkai is taught and taught correctly, many places just go through the motions. On seminars I've been to taken by Iain Abernethy he's often pointed out which parts of Bunkai are good for MMA or for grappling etc. Many people won't or can't understand that there's so much in kata if they chose to learn it properly and not just look at it as movements they have to do to grade. Their lost however.

I got neg rep for this post with a comment 'I disapprove', dear me! :confused:

How can you disapprove? disagree by all means but disapprove? I haven't laughed so much for ages!

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
doesn't look like they encourage hotlinks. Try clicking the link, then refreshing the page.

Latest Discussions