Why My Style of Wing Chun is the Best!

brocklee

Purple Belt
Reaction score
I've been great!! And yourself?
Unsquaring yourself can be troublesome but I wouldn't say disastrous.
You can open people (even trained people) up by using angles

Been doing well :D Haven't trained with the sifu in a few months because I'm goin through hard times but other then that...Life's treating me grand.

I can see your point about becoming unsquare but it goes against the principle and opens up opportunities for an opponent to take your line. There's no true benefit from not remaining square. If you have to do so in order to perform a specific attack, you may want to reconsider. The more you go off your line now, the more you have to correct later.

I know what you're saying though. Every circumstance is different and may require you to break the rules. It then comes down to how nimble and agile the practitioner is in order to correct that situation.

OP
G

geezer

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Been doing well :D Haven't trained with the sifu in a few months because I'm goin through hard times but other then that...Life's treating me grand.

Welcome back Brocklee--I haven't seen you on this site for a while. Now, time to play the game! What branch of WC are you currently practicing and what makes it "the best" (for you, at this moment in time). Any specifics re stance, techniques, etc. will be greatly appreciated!

brocklee

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Welcome back Brocklee--I haven't seen you on this site for a while. Now, time to play the game! What branch of WC are you currently practicing and what makes it "the best" (for you, at this moment in time). Any specifics re stance, techniques, etc. will be greatly appreciated!

Thx for the warm wb geez :D If you're asking which lineage.... Mine is Ip Man, Ho Kam Ming, Augustine Fong and then my sifu Joy Chaudhury.

I don't believe there is a best style of WC because WC is just WC. I've trained Lieung Ting's WT and noticed a few things that went against what I have been taught before and they couldn't seem to answer any of my questions. So I left.

What I like about the lineage I'm under is that it sticks to the basic fundimentals of structure, center and lines. Focus and speed come from remaining relaxed mentally and physically.

Saying mine is the best would be an excellent display of western ideology. WC is actually a tool btw

OP
G

geezer

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Thx for the warm wb geez :D If you're asking which lineage.... Mine is Ip Man, Ho Kam Ming, Augustine Fong and then my sifu Joy Chaudhury.

Well, you've found a great Sifu! I haven't seen Joy in many tears, but I have great respect for him and your Si-Gung (Augustine) Fong Chi Wing. I'm currently training with my Si-dais Jeff Webb and Robert Jacquet. When Jeff was out here about two weeks ago, he had lunch with your Si-fu and really enjoyed seeing him again. So now that you know you won't hurt my feelings, tell me what you noticed that was different about the LT Chi-sau from that other instructor and the Fong/Chaudhuri version coming from Ho Kam Ming?

OP
G

geezer

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Well, you've found a great Sifu! I haven't seen Joy in many tears,
OK, that's supposed to be "many years". The evil god of unintentional typographical puns really hates me. Sooo sorry!

brocklee

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Well, you've found a great Sifu! I haven't seen Joy in many tears, but I have great respect for him and your Si-Gung (Augustine) Fong Chi Wing. I'm currently training with my Si-dais Jeff Webb and Robert Jacquet. When Jeff was out here about two weeks ago, he had lunch with your Si-fu and really enjoyed seeing him again. So now that you know you won't hurt my feelings, tell me what you noticed that was different about the LT Chi-sau from that other instructor and the Fong/Chaudhuri version coming from Ho Kam Ming?

That's great that you know of Joy. He really is an amazing person and teacher. Unfortunately I cannot compare the two chi-sau differences. This was because I was told it would take about a year or so before I could start joining the chi-sau group at LT WT...so I've never had the opportunity. My first chi-sau instruction was in southern mexico about 13 years ago and it is much different then that of Joy's teaching. The chi-sau down there was much softer and repetitious. It almost felt like slap boxing.

Joy's is the opposite of that and you really feel the other person's structure and where its breaking point is. Feeling the other person's structure allows you to find holes that you can't normally see with your eyes. Then you're able to open them up and topple them over with your structure. Also, he teaches the fundamentals of remaining relaxed, as far as muscles are concerned, and using the bones and joints to do the work. He works with you to develop the most efficient punch as possible.

OP
G

geezer

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
My first chi-sau instruction was in southern mexico about 13 years ago and it is much different then that of Joy's teaching. The chi-sau down there was much softer and repetitious. It almost felt like slap boxing. quote]

Ok, eso es el colmo! Where did you train in Southern Mexico??? That's really interesting! PM me, ...we gotta talk! Also, I'm getting back into Wing Tsun/Chun and trying to get an open Chi Sau group together. Lately I've been meeting with a few guys out in Tempe. PM , email or call me.

brocklee

Purple Belt
Reaction score
I trained WC and Kalia Escrima at Do-No-Kai Martial Arts temple which is located on Lake Chapalla in Ajijic. Unfortunately I have entirely too much on my plate right now to be able to chi-sau. I think its going to be 2-3 months before I can. Ill keep it in mind and will give you a PM when the opportunity arises.

Thank you for the offer

Latest Discussions