Weight Lifting or conditioning with Wing Chun

angelariz

Green Belt
Reaction score
I do the Obstacle course run type work outs.
Flip tractor tires, pull ups, muscle ups, wall climbs, snatch, cleans, squats, triceps extensions, curls...weights with heavy(for me) chains.
Lots of treadmill and martial training make up my cardio work.
My intention is to build explosive strength and stamina.
Do to the nature of the cardio work, I do not gain much in the way of size.
I am not a heavy weight so my results might be different than another person that does what I do.

Thunder Foot

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Hi Piedmont,
I'm close to your size at 6'2 and used to be 230. I used to rely heavily on weight lifting and running. Nowadays I do more bodyweight exercises and resistance band training. I walk around at 195-200 and am leagues faster than before and in much better physical shape. My experience has been to exercise with motions I will use in my training. Augment with bands or weights like weight vest, ankle weights, etc.
Personally Im a believer in training how you fight so you fight how you train. So I try to streamline everything I do. Hope this is helpful.

catch

White Belt
Reaction score
My experience has been in using multiple repetition with light weights integrated with controlled and accurate MA technique execution develops those muscles used in your art. For cardio, as I age, I've gone to less physically impacting exercises without sacrificing achieving sustained target heart rates/times.

I am happy with the results....cut, fast, and strong. Not so much on attempting to gain massive muscles.

Latest Discussions