Why my country is still a great place to live in...

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
As I said on another thread it's far easier to whinge about what's wrong with your country than actually sit and think 'wow, there's no other place I'd really want to live in' so I thought a thread about what you like, what you enjoy and why you wouldn't actually want to live anywhere else than your country.

Another part of this is what you think YOU (not the government!) can do to make things better and of course what you actually do!

WC_lun

Senior Master
Reaction score
Nice thread!

I like that when I see something I disagree with, I can say something. Not a thing many people have in the world. I also like that while I am not a rich person by any means, I live in a great house and do not go hungry. When I was younger that was not always the case, but I was not forced to stay in that situation.

I think the way a person makes things better is just be involved in your community somehow. You don't have to be Mother Theresa. Just do something to contribute.

Sukerkin

Have the courage to speak softly
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I recall a couple of years ago that I wrote a post describing just such a sense of contentment with my country as I enjoyed a country walk with a jaunty three legged terrier, who just joined up with me on my way. Sadly that post was lost in a crash of the sites database, which is a shame as it really spoke from my heart about just what a quiet pleasure it is to be an Englishman.

I am sure that if I was born elsewhere, I would have learned to love my country, wherever it was; but a softly spoken part of me is most happy that the lottery of birth gave me my life here.

We have our great problems and I cannot help but feel that too much of a bite has been taken from the way of life that our affluent cousin America tempted us with. But for me, the solidity of our roots and the enduring nature of our traditions is a special thing. We are a wealthy parliamentary democracy, with a sense of continuity which has endured a thousand years and, tho' our Empire has been put aside, that sensation of 'Britishness' can still be found in many corners of the globe. A history like that gives a land a sense of stability and the rule of law fairly applied - which is one of the reasons why so many wish to come and live here.

I know that all sounds rather vague but, in most ways, emotions such as 'satisfaction' are hard to quantify. All I can say is that I am proud to be an Englishman and have an emotional bond to this verdant land that I shall never let go of.

And on this day, marking the Diamond Jubilee of the reign of Elizabeth II, I stand with my countrymen, raise my glass in loyal toast and speak with a tear in my eye - God save the Queen.

oftheherd1

Senior Master
Reaction score
I am sure many people find reasons to be happy and contented living in the country they do. I certainly am living in the USA. We have so many freedoms and opportunities. We have a good land that still has many resources, people that aren't factionalized to the point of open deadly hostilities with each other, a resonably good government that usually functions as it should (some bumps in the road of course), fairly good relations with our neighbors north and south, and not so much poverty as in some other places in the world.

Of course we aren't perfect. But I am convinced that any problems we have are mostly vanishing vestiges of left over problems from those scalawags, the British.
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

To Sukerkin and all others who acknowledge the British Monarchy, yes, truely: God Save the Queen!! :asian:

:partyon::partyon:

As you may know, we continue to be fascinated with your monarchy, and enjoy watching your celebration of her reign.

OP
Tez3

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I am sure many people find reasons to be happy and contented living in the country they do. I certainly am living in the USA. We have so many freedoms and opportunities. We have a good land that still has many resources, people that aren't factionalized to the point of open deadly hostilities with each other, a resonably good government that usually functions as it should (some bumps in the road of course), fairly good relations with our neighbors north and south, and not so much poverty as in some other places in the world.

Of course we aren't perfect. But I am convinced that any problems we have are mostly vanishing vestiges of left over problems from those scalawags, the British.
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

To Sukerkin and all others who acknowledge the British Monarchy, yes, truely: God Save the Queen!! :asian:

:partyon::partyon:

As you may know, we continue to be fascinated with your monarchy, and enjoy watching your celebration of her reign.

Your President has sent a very gracious message to the Queen. Despite what people think of him I think he represented you well in this.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-18333391

We are, and always will be steadfast Allies to each other.

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
First off the Diamond Jubilee was really cool in your country Tez3 and Sukerkin!!! :)

I live in the United States and love it. It certainly is not perfect but we are very fortunate to have the freedoms that we enjoy here and are blessed with an absolutely beautiful country filled with a majority of wonderful people. One of the things I have always admired about my fellow Americans is their ingenuity and their take charge attitude. This really is a great country! :)

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I like my country because...it's home :)

ballen0351

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
One of the best things about the good old USA is how different it is. With in a 3 hour drive from my house I can be at the ocean or the mountains in a huge city or the middle of nowhere. I can jump on a plane and go from the desert to a tropical rain forest and never leave the country.

Latest Discussions