United Nations documentary...a hive of scum and villainy...

billc

Grandmaster
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
A new documentary on the troubles surounding the United Nations is coming out or is out. It may be worth a look for everyone who thinks that the U.N. can accomplish things that more local help can do...

http://www.breitbart.com/Big-Hollywood/2012/06/03/un-me-review-shame-media-world-body

"U.N. Me" argues an organization which began in 1946 with the loftiest of goals is awash in bureaucracy, corruption and greed. Not only does it rarely serve its core missions of promoting peace and stopping war, it often makes matters far worse - and no one is held accountable.
Horowitz stands in for Michael Moore, a fitfully effective technique to guide us through the U.N. horror stories. The film acknowledges up front the U.N. occasionally distributes aid to impoverished countries in a purposeful way, using its ties and resources for good.
The film opens with Horowitz visiting the U.N. building in New York City to show its empty halls while several world hot spots continue to blaze. It's an inauspicious start for the film, but Horowitz is just warming up. When the film stops aping Moore's uber-personal documentary approach the results are chilling. And Horowitz occasionally uses his good humor to expose U.N. officials in a way a traditional line of questioning couldn't.
It's priceless to watch a U.N. official wonder aloud what Iran's plans would be if it acquired a nuclear weapon one moment, then see a series of press clippings where country president Mahmoud Ahmadinejad declares he wants to wipe Israel off the map.
The film checks off a list of U.N. horror stories, from ignoring the thousands of dead bodies in Rwanda in the 1990s to enabling Saddam Hussein's monstrous "oil for food" scandal. Along the way we see a bureaucracy as thick as brick, officials throwing money at associates to spend at swanky beaches and watch cover ups and obfuscations that seem too fanciful to be real.

K-man

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Unfortunately that is no surprise. Unless Russia stops vetoing and actually starts to cooperate, nothing much can be achieved. The other problem is that many of the governments of even first world countries, work on greed and corruption. I don't like to sound pessimistic but .... :asian:

Makalakumu

Gonzo Karate Apocalypse
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Unfortunately that is no surprise. Unless Russia stops vetoing and actually starts to cooperate, nothing much can be achieved. The other problem is that many of the governments of even first world countries, work on greed and corruption. I don't like to sound pessimistic but .... :asian:

What the UN needs is a giant world power with 700 plus military bases around the world to act as it's policeman. Then they will have real power. Gee, I don't where that exists...

Latest Discussions