Why multiculturalism will always fail?

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Call me a cynic, but I believe that, even then, we will find some other distinctions with which to categorize, polarize, and distinguish ourselves from each other. When race is gone, more or less, humanity will still divide itself by some other standard, be it socioeconmics, region, or perhaps even political ideology.

Considering we can't be peaceful within a family of the same race and religion and cultural background, I take that as a given.

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
It just doesn't apply, bill.

From the article:

I'd submit that there truly is no "indigenous culture" in the U.S., or that very few people can identify with the truly indigenous cultures here.

Or, that what we identify as an "indigenous culture" is more of a set of core values and ethos that have as much to do with being able to identify with one's own origins as they do with things like "hard work, going to church, and playing baseball."

After all, what's more "American" than the St. Patrick's Day parade? Or a Cinco de Mayo celebration? Or Chinese New Year? Or a game of soccer?

Perhaps a game of lacrosse....:lol:

yup

Once worked with a woman from Germany who thought us Americans were pretty funny because it seemed that every time when asked an American “what are you” she got a lineage list that was based on origin of family, Germany, Ireland, England, Russia, etc. But she rarely got any that simple answered “America” California, Florida, Chicago, NYC, Dallas. She also said she only get this in America…. Ask a German and their German ask as Russian and their Russian ask a Chinese person and their Chinese as an Indian and their Indian…. What’s that tell you :D

Now I must dash for Genmai Cha and Paczki :D... only in America

Ramirez

Black Belt
Reaction score
I would say that st. patrick's day, chinese new year and other celebrations are superficial differences. The core values would be fighting for indiidual rights, the rule of the american legal system, seeing oneself as American over ancestral identity, things like that. If you asked someone who celebrates St. Patricks day, they probably wouldn't identify themselves as a citizen of Ireland. the same for descendants of chinese immigrants during the chinese new years celebration. In another post there was an allegation that students in one of the border states self identified as mexican citizens over being americans. Much of that was due in the article to their being illegal immigrants. That kind of multiculturalism is the damaging kind. That is where I think the most problems come from. They also talked about, allegedly, taking back texas and california. I don't think someone who thinks of themselves as American, would think of giving texas and california back to mexico.

not to just single out immigrants, legal or otherwise from mexico, the desire to change the american system to sharia compliance is another problem, and the treatment of women in the muslim culture would probably be another area where the problem originates. If an immigrant from russia comes over, they usually are not looking to change the american legal system and tend to be closer to american values on women and individual rights. I know of several women from Japan, who have come here as students and don't want to go back to Japan because of the freedom they see for women here. It is not just as a woman, but the freedom of the individual here in America over the conformity in the Japanese culture. they are ready to take on the real values of American society even if they celebrate traditional japanese holidays or customs.

so you really don't have a problem with Chinese festivals, sushi bars, greek food, curries, Hindus, Sikhs etc.

What you have a problem with is illegal immigration and radical Islam. Then just say so otherwise you paint all ethnicities with a broad brush.

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
so you really don't have a problem with Chinese festivals, sushi bars, greek food, curries, Hindus, Sikhs etc.

What you have a problem with is illegal immigration and radical Islam. Then just say so otherwise you paint all ethnicities with a broad brush.

He's a party animal: Today he's Irish, tomorrow (legal) Mexican, I hear Dewali puts on a good spread, so we go, what, Hindu?

Ramirez

Black Belt
Reaction score
He's a party animal: Today he's Irish, tomorrow (legal) Mexican, I hear Dewali puts on a good spread, so we go, what, Hindu?

yeah I could use a good curry, or how about Caribbean and a goat roti?

elder999

El Oso de Dios!
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ramirez said:
yeah I could use a good curry, or how about Caribbean and a goat roti?

I do kickass curries, Mark. Now I know what's on the menu if you ever make it to New Mexico....:lol:

dunno, never had any. (but I hear Caribbean involves jerk...:uhohh:)

Caribbean covers a wide variety. "Jerk," while no longer exclusive to Jamaica, refers to the spices used in the marinade or dry rub, as well as the method of cooking:

Jerk

Also one of my specialties, Gran, so if you ever make it to New Mexico....:lol: (I'll even wrangle up some pimento wood, and do it in my smoker....)

bill said:
:rolleyes:
I would say that st. patrick's day, chinese new year and other celebrations are superficial differences. The core values would be fighting for indiidual rights, the rule of the american legal system, seeing oneself as American over ancestral identity, things like that. If you asked someone who celebrates St. Patricks day, they probably wouldn't identify themselves as a citizen of Ireland. the same for descendants of chinese immigrants during the chinese new years celebration. In another post there was an allegation that students in one of the border states self identified as mexican citizens over being americans. Much of that was due in the article to their being illegal immigrants. That kind of multiculturalism is the damaging kind. That is where I think the most problems come from. They also talked about, allegedly, taking back texas and california. I don't think someone who thinks of themselves as American, would think of giving texas and california back to mexico.

not to just single out immigrants, legal or otherwise from mexico, the desire to change the american system to sharia compliance is another problem, and the treatment of women in the muslim culture would probably be another area where the problem originates. If an immigrant from russia comes over, they usually are not looking to change the american legal system and tend to be closer to american values on women and individual rights.

1) Who is it that wants to "change the American system to Sharia" besides, maybe, those terrorists who envision a worldwide Caliphate.

They're crazy, you know, and mostly live in caves, though no doubt there are a few here.

Maybe even in Dearborn, where we've had a huge Arab-American,Muslim community for decades (as well as Maronite and Chaldean Christians, but hey...). In the meantime,. though, most of them are Americanized or assimilated to varying degrees, and live their lives peacefully, and normally, with no intention of imposing Sharia on anyone, except perhaps those who agree to it in civil cases, which is only a fair practice in this country.

I mean, what do you want them to do, start eating pork? :lol:

bill said:
:rolleyes:I know of several women from Japan, who have come here as students and don't want to go back to Japan because of the freedom they see for women here. It is not just as a woman, but the freedom of the individual here in America over the conformity in the Japanese culture. they are ready to take on the real values of American society even if they celebrate traditional japanese holidays or customs.

On the other hand, here we have the freedom to conform as well. WHile your misgivings about the treatment of women in those cultures may be well founded, they don't apply to you, and you have no frame of reference for them. You see a woman in a burkha and think that it's terrible that men require her to be covered from head to toe, and don't think for one minute that maybe she wants to be.

2) The article doesn't apply-it's written from the point of view of someone who's nation has much more racial homogeneity than ours. In fact, even those Germans, Swedes, Nords, Finns-hell, even most of the French and British-that live in Denmark have more in common with the native populace than those brown, different clothes wearing, different food eating, different rules for living immigrants do.

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I throw in some Knoedel, not sure how they go with jerk tho ;) (being a smartalec, cos I knew what jerk was)