Why karate kids are less likely to grow up to be violent men

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Good article:

http://www.smh.com.au/opinion/socie...grow-up-to-be-violent-men-20120707-21o0k.html

Having just returned from a Martial Arts and Philosophy conference in Canada, I'm again reminded of the transformative potential of the martial arts. Research on children and adults shows that the so-called ''traditional'' fighting crafts, such as judo and karate, leave students less aggressive.

It's not simply that pacifists choose Asian courtesy over swinging fists - this isn't just selection bias. The longer students train, the more pro-social they become. Other studies have demonstrated links between martial arts and increased confidence and school grades, alongside the more obvious improvements in health and fitness.

The precise mechanisms aren't clear, but scholars Nosanchuk and MacNeil suggest some key traits of the traditional martial arts school: authority figures; forms practice; and continual reference to ethical principles.

Good role models exhibit physical and moral virtues: strong and skilled, but also prudent, patient, temperate, generous. The forms, somewhere between military drill, meditation and dance, take physical energy and sublimate it into restraint and grace instead of mere brutality.

oftheherd1

Senior Master
Reaction score
My youngest daughter's son has tried soccer, baseball, gymnastics, and you name it. He hasn't really liked any of it much. He says he will try TKD if I and my wife do it with him. Gotta find him a place that is fun, Mcdojo or not. If he has enough fun to enjoy it, I will take care of the real side of MA for him a little at a time.

I have always thought is was a combination of a lot of things, but mostly confidence and realization that there is no need to 'prove' yourself. You do that in the dojang, you don't need to do it outside. That coupled with the respect you have for your teacher and school.

Omar B

Senior Master
Reaction score
It's all about confidence man. You can be more relaxed, if you know for a fact that you can handle yourself if need be. One does not have to be a loudmouth, or act like a tough guy because I don't have to put up a facade. I've got nothign to prove, tough guys are the ones who need to go around proving stuff.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
I don't think that martial arts are much different than any other quality youth activity. While I think that martial arts are a great activity for kids, I'd be very surprised if kids involved in martial arts experience any more real social benefits than they would playing football, participating in band or competing on the math team as a mathlete.

The key, IMO, is finding something that the child is interested in, and keeping them engaged.

OP
Bill Mattocks

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I don't think that martial arts are much different than any other quality youth activity. While I think that martial arts are a great activity for kids, I'd be very surprised if kids involved in martial arts experience any more real social benefits than they would playing football, participating in band or competing on the math team as a mathlete.

The key, IMO, is finding something that the child is interested in, and keeping them engaged.

This may be, but here's some interesting information:

http://ftp.pwp.att.net/w/a/wabokujujitsu/articles/psychsoc.htm

A number of longitudinal studies looking at students of hapkido (Spear, 1989), judo (Pyecha, 1970), jujitsu (Daniels and Thornton, 1992), karate (Daniels and Thornton, 1992; Foster, 1997), tae kwon do (Finkenberg, 1990), and taijiquan (Brown et al., 1995) support the findings of the cross-sectional studies summarized above. Martial arts practice cultivates decreases in hostility (Daniels and Thornton, 1992), anger (Brown et al., 1995), and feeling vulnerable to attack (Madden, 1990; 1995). They also lead to more easygoing and warmhearted individuals (Pyecha, 1970) and increases in self-confidence (Spear, 1989), self-esteem (Finkenberg, 1990; Brown et al., 1995), and self-control (Brown et al., 1995). The style of martial art may be relevant. In a study by Foster (1997), karate students, but not aikido students, showed a decrease in trait-anxiety. This study will have to be replicated because subjects were not randomly assigned. Nevertheless, it suggests that certain martial arts might lead to changes more quickly than others. If this is true, one hypothesis is that the more complex movements and foreign concepts involved in some martial arts produce changes more slowly.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
Maybe so. My experience with kids is that when they are well adjusted, healthy and happy, they tend to be less violent as adults. I haven't done a study, though. :D

Supra Vijai

Black Belt
Reaction score

Latest Discussions