Oldster takes no BS from armed criminals, opens fire

oftheherd1

Senior Master
Reaction score
Wow, that is so great to see! There is comedy all over that video. One person hides their head in the sand when they see the gunman. Everyone just sort of stands around and watches as if it is all normal, except on woman sticks her fingers in her ears. The gunman reacts so quickly is is almost as if he was tied to a rope and someone jerked him away. Both assailants can't move fast enough, and get by each other fast enough, not caring about the other.
EDIT: The woman sitting at the corner computer looks like, "Oh phooey, I'll just ignore them and maybe they'll go away." The shooter is almost calm like "I've been waiting for these guys all day, about time they showed up."

A bunch of us were sitting here laughing through several replays.

Thanks Bill.

Last edited:

Tgace

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I don't want to armchair quarterback the old timer. He did what others couldn't/wouldn't...but I did notice the "follow them and shoot them as they are running" technique. I couldn't clearly see if the BG's still had weapons in their hands or were shooting/pointing something at the man, but as an AAR it may be worth discussing.

oftheherd1

Senior Master
Reaction score
I don't want to armchair quarterback the old timer. He did what others couldn't/wouldn't...but I did notice the "follow them and shoot them as they are running" technique. I couldn't clearly see if the BG's still had weapons in their hands or were shooting/pointing something at the man, but as an AAR it may be worth discussing.

Yep, I don't know how Florida law will treat that. Hopefully not too harshly.

Blindside

Grandmaster
Founding Member
Reaction score
Yep, I don't know how Florida law will treat that. Hopefully not too harshly.

I don't think anybody was hit, so I suspect nothing. But it might have been news if one of the BGs was hit or worse a bystander on the street outside as the guy fired through the door.

OP
Bill Mattocks

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I don't think anybody was hit, so I suspect nothing. But it might have been news if one of the BGs was hit or worse a bystander on the street outside as the guy fired through the door.

http://www.ocala.com/article/20120713/ARTICLES/120719846

Two men who attempted to hold up an Internet cafe were shot and injured by a patron of the business Friday night, according to the Marion County Sheriff's Office.

Sheriff's officials said they got a call at 9:54 p.m. about an armed robbery at Palms Internet Cafe, 8444 SW State Road 200. When deputies arrived at the scene, patrons outside the business told them that two men in masks — one armed with a baseball bat and the other with a handgun — had barged into the business. The robbers told the approximately 30 patrons to get on the floor, and they demanded money.

Officials said one of the patrons, Samuel Williams, drew his own handgun and shot at the robbers, according to sheriff's officials.

Both robbers began running toward the front door, and the patron fired several more shots as they fled.

The two men got into a car parked nearby and fled.

Not long afterward, deputies got a call about two men at a Marion Oaks residence who were telling people there that they had been shot while at Scott Carrigan Baseball Park on Southeast 17th Street in Ocala. Police Department officers went to the ball field but found no evidence of a shooting there, according to sheriff's officials.

The two men were transported — one by helicopter — to Shands at the University of Florida in Gainesville. The Sheriff's Office identified them as Davis G. Dawkins and Duwayne Henderson, both 19. Dawkins has a Dunnellon address. His alleged accomplice has an Ocala address, officials said.

Dawkins had a superficial wound in his left arm, but Henderson was shot in two places: his left buttock and his right hip.

Looks like the bad guys did indeed catch some lead.

“I feel horrible. It doesn't feel good. It makes you think about life's decisions, and how you should live your life,” Henderson said in an interview with the Star-Banner at the jail on Saturday afternoon.

Hours after his release from the hospital, Henderson, who talked about the pain he feels in his buttock and hip, said the plan was to “barge in, get the money and leave.” He said “he never expected anyone to be armed.”

“The gun was broken and rusty and wasn't loaded. Nobody was going to get hurt,” he said, standing with crutches.

Retrieving the customers' phones was what he said was their “main priority.” That way, he said, the customers could not call law enforcement officials.

Henderson theorizes the reason why he was caught off guard is because, when Dawkins entered the business, he busted a computer monitor with the baseball bat and “glass got into his face.”

Williams — who declined to be interviewed — was sitting in the row nearest the door. He immediately took out his handgun, took aim and started firing, witnesses said.

Neville Allison said the two robbers then tumbled out the door. The robber with the gun may have dropped his weapon, he said. Williams told Dice he was at the Internet cafe with his wife and was afraid the suspects were going to shoot somebody. He told the detective he was scared and that he began shooting at the men.

Though Henderson said he doesn't blame Williams for shooting, he takes exception with Williams shooting at him while he was down.

“I was down, and I'm not going to continue to shoot you,” he said.

Good stuff.

Blindside

Grandmaster
Founding Member
Reaction score
Thanks Bill, I think I saw on the vid page that "no one was hurt" which sort of surprised me given the range.

stonewall1350

Blue Belt
Reaction score

I will armchair QB it for you. Good move on his part. He chased them out of the building. Florida law is gonna pat him on the back too. Maybe a medal because of his age :)

Marcy Shoberg

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
The first time I saw the video, I armchair quarterbacked him, too. I thought "Why would he physically defend against someone who just wanted money? That's bad self-defense." Then I realized that I thought they were robbers since the headline of the video told me they were robbers. He, being in the situation, was right to assume lives were in danger. It didn't even occur to me, until someone on this list mentioned it, that he followed them while they were retreating. I guess I got caught up in the adrenaline of the moment watching the video as he did defending all of those people.

Latest Discussions