Why is their so much disrespect for Karate? And what can we do to stop it?

Hanzou

Grandmaster
Reaction score
well would you care to define partially, it covers an enourmass range of numbers

You can go to a dictionary to look up the definition of partially.

ok can you show that a challenge fight has had even noticable effect on the decline of kung fu popularity with the chinese people, allowing that this decline is some decades old?

Look at the links I posted. In one link in particular, the Chinese Wushu Association stated that CMAs must stop calling themselves masters because it was embarrassing traditional martial arts. That arose from the MMA vs CMA challenge matches.

There's also this;

Kung Fu’s Identity Crisis

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I said "partially causing the decline of". There's that nasty habit of you not reading things again.

And actually the multiple challenge fights have been rather big news...

Chinese Martial Artists Must Stop Calling Themselves "Masters", According to Official Decree
Meet the Chinese MMA Fighter Taking on the Grandmasters of Kung Fu
He rose to fame for exposing fake kung fu. Now he just wants to ‘survive’ - Inkstone
rather big news where e
You can go to a dictionary to look up the definition of partially.

Look at the links I posted. In one link in particular, the Chinese Wushu Association stated that CMAs must stop calling themselves masters because it was embarrassing traditional martial arts. That arose from the MMA vs CMA challenge matches.

There's also this;

Kung Fu’s Identity Crisis
I know what it means it's an amount between 00000000000000.1 and 9999999999999999999999999.9 infact any number at all less than 100%

as such meaningless with out context

but you know that, which is why you use it to describe thing you have absolutly no way of quantifing

so back to your claim, show what amount of the decline in king fu is directly applicable to these challenge fights

Graywalker

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Aren’t all martial arts just training methods? Also Bjj is a form of wrestling, and the foundation of modern submission grappling.

That’s kind of the point.

The UFC is as entertainment company. MMA is a style/system of martial arts. There’s a difference.
MMA is a method of 3 different training methods, so no I wouldn't call it a style.

BJJ...as the modern submission, method is a matter of opinion, maybe for sport, maybe but in itself it is nothing new, a majority of the submission were used before the Gracie's and their offshoots...but I ain't much into sport arts myself.

As for the point...with the Kung Fu master...it could have been any contact fighter...And, it is nothing new. Although it is nice that the exposure brought back the reality of combat neglected in the 80's in favor of point and light contact.

Taking the contact out for sport, is what damaged TMA in the first place.

Hanzou

Grandmaster
Reaction score
MMA is a method of 3 different training methods, so no I wouldn't call it a style.

BJJ...as the modern submission, method is a matter of opinion, maybe for sport, maybe but in itself it is nothing new, a majority of the submission were used before the Gracie's and their offshoots...but I ain't much into sport arts myself.

Bjj being the foundation of modern submission grappling doesn't mean that it is the birth place of those submissions. Instead it became the house in which various schools of grappling came together and formed modern submission grappling. You can view that as an opinion, but you would need to come up with an alternative to that fact.

Also submission grappling is a pretty integral part of self defense and unarmed military training in many organizations.

Your view of MMA is definitely an opinion though.

As for the point...with the Kung Fu master...it could have been any contact fighter...And, it is nothing new. Although it is nice that the exposure brought back the reality of combat neglected in the 80's in favor of point and light contact.

Taking the contact out for sport, is what damaged TMA in the first place.

The overall point though is that MMA (via its influence from Bjj) forced traditional martial arts to be held to its standards. In the case of karate, a large part of why it gets disrespected is because MMA presents challenges that Karate simply can't (or won't address). One big one is what happens if you get taken to the ground by a grappler? That's something that has emerged because of the influence of MMA, and Karate simply doesn't have an answer for that.

I've gotten offers to teach Bjj at various karate dojos over the last decade or so for that very reason.

Graywalker

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Bjj being the foundation of modern submission grappling doesn't mean that it is the birth place of those submissions. Instead it became the house in which various schools of grappling came together and formed modern submission grappling. You can view that as an opinion, but you would need to come up with an alternative to that fact.

Also submission grappling is a pretty integral part of self defense and unarmed military training in many organizations.

The overall point though is that MMA (via its influence from Bjj) forced traditional martial arts to be held to its standards. In the case of karate, a large part of why it gets disrespected is because MMA presents challenges that Karate simply can't (or won't address). One big one is what happens if you get taken to the ground by a grappler? That's something that has emerged because of the influence of MMA, and Karate simply doesn't have an answer for that.

I've gotten offers to teach Bjj at various karate dojos over the last decade or so for that very reason.
I think you give to much credit to two things, already in existence, given new names. I think both the mma and bjj world, are simply old things with revamped names and given a place to express that.

I don't watch either, simply because they are sport oriented.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
I think you give to much credit to two things, already in existence, given new names. I think both the mma and bjj world, are simply old things with revamped names and given a place to express that.

I don't watch either, simply because they are sport oriented.
I agree. There really isn't any difference between BJJ and a koryu art. Now that we've got that out of the way, a lot of these discussions will surely go much better.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
The real question is why is there so much disrespect for each other on this forum and what can we do to stop it?

If some of you ever trained in a real dojo and had the attitudes and bad manners you display here you would get your ash handed to you in a broken lunch pail.

We are pretty committed to smack talk in our gym. So you guys would be fine here.

Although telling my coach squirrel girl would beat captain America did get pretty tense there for a while.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score

Did you end up going to those schools and teaching?

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
We are pretty committed to smack talk in our gym. So you guys would be fine here.

Although telling my coach squirrel girl would beat captain America did get pretty tense there for a while.
Smack talk is just funning' around. I, personally, don't consider it disrespectful.

(Obviously depending on the circumstances.)

Urban Trekker

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Nah, point the finger at MMA. While people couldn't actually view the fights themselves, the results were still broadcasted far and wide. MMA is what changed the landscape of martial arts and put traditional martial arts on a backpedal where they have to constantly be judged against its standard. Karate was a victim of that sea change.

The decline of karate started before MMA became mainstream. Off the top of my head, Double Impact comes to mind as a candidate for the last karate-based box office hit. That's from 1991. MMA didn't enter the mainstream until around just before the end of the 90's.

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
The decline of karate started before MMA became mainstream. Off the top of my head, Double Impact comes to mind as a candidate for the last karate-based box office hit. That's from 1991. MMA didn't enter the mainstream until around just before the end of the 90's.
eer the karate kid 2010

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
no it wasnt, your thinking of the first one

The first Karate Kid movie was 1984, and it was Okinawan Karate.
The 2010 movie was actually called "The Kung Fu Dream" in China. Because it was based on Kung Fu.
Remember that time you tried to correct someones English? Yeah. You shouldn't do that, Mr Pot. Seven words, four grammatical errors. And even if it were translated into English, it would still be wrong.

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
The first Karate Kid movie was 1984, and it was Okinawan Karate.
The 2010 movie was actually called "The Kung Fu Dream" in China. Because it was based on Kung Fu.
Remember that time you tried to correct someones English? Yeah. You shouldn't do that, Mr Pot. Seven words, four grammatical errors. And even if it were translated into English, it would still be wrong.
9 words, at least my numeracy is up to par

nb and it not grammatically correct to start a sentence with and, even if you put a capital on it, Mr Pan

Last edited:

Graywalker

Brown Belt
Reaction score
I would agree, I think it was the sudden change to light or no contact tournament rules.

Graywalker

Brown Belt
Reaction score
I agree. There really isn't any difference between BJJ and a koryu art. Now that we've got that out of the way, a lot of these discussions will surely go much better.
Lol...yes, I was going to move on from this repetitive discussion.

Latest Discussions