Why Is The Martial System You Train In Effective For Your Needs?

seasoned

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Okinawan GoJu is a close quarter system emphasizing low kicks with grabs, stand up grappling, take downs and strikes that are close in. This is an art that can follow you into old age. It is a Kata and drills based system that complement all the above.

"Why is the martial system you train in effective for your needs"?

Because, I'm old. :)

oftheherd1

Senior Master
Reaction score
Because I like grappling (without an emphasis on going to the ground). Works for me as an older person as well.

ST1Doppelganger

Brown Belt
Reaction score
I picked CLF as a foundation art first off because it goes well with my tall height and long range. I also feel its a pretty complete Kung fu system that teaches you how to strike with awesome body confection while teaching chin na, vital point strikes, throws and weapons.

My other foundation would be grappling arts (BJJ, Shoot fighting & Judo) because I find grappling rather fun and feel its important to know how to defend yourself against a grappler.

The current art I've chosen to study after relocating is tenshen aikido and Im enjoying the fact that its adding more small joint manipulation and giving me the opportunity to do Chin Na joint lock take downs and throws in a safe environment.

I've also added a few other complimentary arts to fill in gaps or add some different strategies to my foundation arts.

I fill that the combo of martial arts I've chosen has prepared me to handle pretty much anything i might come across in the dojo or on the streets

Badger1777

Green Belt
Reaction score
My current one is tang soo do.

It meets my needs because its fun, its an all over work out that's not tedious, its art in motion, and did I mention its fun?

Before returning (after more than 20 years) to martial arts, I actually looked for a dance class too. I'd allowed myself to become inflexible and unfit, and I figured I wanted to rectify this. The gymn is the single most boring place on the planet to me, so I didn't even waste my time and money by going even a few times. I figured dancing and martial arts are both good cardio-vascular activities, both will build muscle strength in muscle tissue that matters, the fast twitch fibres that don't make you into Arnold Schwarzenegger but will make you toned and fit, both require a level of mental discipline, both get the whole body moving in new and creative ways, both build confidence, stamina, balance and lots of other important attributes, and both are fun.

Add to that the fact that this is an activity that my 5 year old son also enjoys, and we can train in the same class, and I can see him across the room training with his new little buddies and thoroughly enjoying himself while also getting all the benefits I've already mentioned. I ask, what more could a dad ask for?:)

K-man

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Interesting question here. Why is the martial system you train in effective for your needs?
Mate, where are you finding such profound questions? :)

I could add nothing to the succinct response of my learned friend seasoned. He expressed my feelings down to the last letter, including 'old'. Absolutely brilliant post!
:asian:

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Gets me off the couch. Let's me meet interesting people and then punch them in the face.

hoshin1600

Senior Master
Reaction score
Why
is the martial system you train in effective for your needs?
i find the wording of this question unique. rather than the usual "how" is it effective, you ask "why" is it effective. this changes the usual debate about style and tactics and makes it a bit more introspective. for myself, my system is effective because i designed it that way. i can say that because i did actually design it. however even if you train in a traditional style you still have this abilty. teachers are there to impart knowledge but the responsibilty for learning and how your training develops and the end result is really your own. if you take five students who all train in the same style it is possible you will get five different results. i do believe that not all arts are created equal. some are better suited for self defense, but a system that is not well suited for combat only means the road to that goal is a bit longer. it is up to you to walk it. many people like to feel that they are effective in self defense because they "do style xx". this is really not the case. study in any particular style does not make you effective. just because you own a hammer and know what its for doesnt mean you can build a house. learning the basics of an art is like learning how to swing a hammer, how to measue and cut wood and what a good structure looks like. at some point though you need to build your house. some wont finish the lesson, some will be happy just knowing the basics, some will admire the works of others but some..some will build. so whether your effictive or not is really just because you wanted it to be that way , effective or not.

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
my system is effective because i designed it that way.
I like your approach and I do the same myself.

1. I first find what problems that I'll need to solve.
2. I then find what tool that I can use.
3. I then develop a path from "by using my tool" to "solve my problem".

Since my tool may be from the systems that I train. It may also exist in system that I don't train. The word "my system" won't have any meaning if I use this approach. Whatever is my, it's mine. Whatever it's not my, I'll try as hard as I can to make it to be mine.

Reedone816

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Why it is effective for me, simply because it clicks. It shows the error of my old way, in term of MISS.
For other things, it leaves me to progress with my own speed, and the bottom line is, it is fun.
So it is effective in teaching me ma since it keeps me want to learn again and again.
Sent from my RM-943_apac_indonesia_207 using Tapatalk

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I'm an American Karaetka. (I love talking that way, it sounds cool to me) I train American Karate because I like it. But I'm pretty sure I'd like just about any art I was involved in. My needs at this point in life are enjoyment and staying in shape. Is it a complete art? Oh, hell no. Which is why I've trained in many other things and loved every one of them.

Chris Parker

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Interesting question here. Why is the martial system you train in effective for your needs?

Interesting… yeah…

I think the first thing that has to be looked at, though, is whether it is "effective for your needs"… which means you have to identify exactly what your needs are in the first place. To be honest, I'm not sure that many people really do that… they have an impression, based on inexperience and a lack of information in many cases… which is perfectly understandable. But what that means is that they have an idea (usually false) about what the martial art/s are going to be providing them with… and, as they then go to a school that tells them they're getting those "needs" addressed there, they go along with believing that that's what they're getting. It also leads to people feeling/believing that what they're looking for in martial arts is the same as what everyone else is looking for.

After figuring out exactly what the "needs" are… then we can start to look at whether the system is effective… or, in the spirit of the question, why you might believe that it is. To that end, with myself, each system I train in is for different needs (hmm… not sure that I'd use that term…). Some of them are very simple… the "need" is to learn that particular system… so, uh, learning the system is already fulfilling the need. Others are a little wider in scope… including gaining an understanding of all facets and aspects of realistic violence… and the reasons that I feel that what I train in is suited to those needs are equally wide… and individually suited to each need. My modern work is suited to modern understanding and application… my traditional work is not… but it is suited to gaining an understanding of different contexts, tactical approaches, mechanics, and so forth…

So, why are my systems suited to my needs? In a way, they're not. They're suited to their own needs… which has some crossover with mine. I simply have to understand which is which.

Rich Parsons

A Student of Martial Arts
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score

Brian,

I had a new student show up last night to begin in Private lessons. They originally wanted me to teach them Balintawak. I am all for this. Yet, as per my process, I asked about his background and why he wanted to train. He choose Balintawak because all of the FMA people who like and talk well of it. I explained the differences and that if he wanted Self Defense that Modern Arnis might be the better art for him that I teach. So we started there.

Why is the Martial System(s) I train and teach are effective to my needs?

1) I started in Modern Arnis. It starts out with weapons in your hands. When I started I was in college and while I was an A/B Chemical Engineering and Computer Science Student during the day at night I hung out in all the wrong places. I also started picking up Bouncer jobs and some security jobs. While I was in all the wrong places, I helped those in need and stopped mass beatings and or slowed them down. So the fact that canes/sticks and knives and empty hands were all taught at once was what I needed. The joint locks and throws and standing trapping and grappling was also very beneficial. I have stated before, this helped me, it also was a way for me to learn how not to get too scared and hurt people (permanently or semi permanently).

2) I later started into Balintawak as it specialized with Stick Dueling. This allowed me to optimize certain skill sets and including timing. In Balintawak, where we are long most people call medium or close with weapons. where most say they are in grappling we are close and still hitting with the stick by creating room with the body. This system is not for everyone. I know that. I respect that. Yet from the skills learned one can apply them to empty hand and bladed weapons as well. The offhand sensitivity learned while listening to a stick makes it easier to listen to a body/person when touching them. Good grapplers will understand that the feel and read their opponent and move from there.

Spinedoc

Brown Belt
Reaction score

Aikido is perfect for me, because my needs are not what they were when I was 20. I'm 43....I know how to fight, I've been in several and never care to be in any more. I need to learn inner growth, peace, and enjoy the stretching, ukemi, and locks/throws. I also enjoy the tradition, history, and weapons work. I enjoy the fact that it is based on sword movements.

Kong Soo Do

IKSDA Director
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I need principles based upon gross motor skills and the flinch response. Additionally, I need control principles such as locks, transporters, ground stabilization and throws as well as pressure point/cavity pressing for pain compliance. What I teach is a straight up hybrid of all the martial arts/self defense/defensive tactics I've learned, tailored to these specific needs.

skribs

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Taekwondo is an effective system for my needs, because my master instructor teaches Taekwondo. Seriously. If he were teaching Tai Chi, then Tai Chi would be the best for my needs. In large part, I think it is less about the specific art, and more about the instructor and the student. I would have had fun with pretty much any art. However, I had to pick one, and I picked it because I liked the instructor.

Latest Discussions