Training the other side

Makalakumu

Gonzo Karate Apocalypse
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I've heard arguments for an against. In Judo, one can be effective with the nage list by training only the right hand throws. In boxing, the left lead can also be very effective. With the sword, I only train my right side.

Should we train the other side?

Bigshadow

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
upnorthkyosa said:
I personally don't believe it is necessary to try and train both sides equally. I firmly believe that once the body has "got it" or learned a movement, it really doesn't matter which side it uses. I do think that one side might be a little more precise than the other, but negligible in reality. In the time of crisis I believe the body will do what is necessary regardless of which side you trained the hardest. So, IMHO, if you feel compelled to train both sides equally, then go for it, but I don't believe it is required.

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
You should do some training on each side, I think, but realistically I think it's a good idea to focus on how you intend to fight--with your strong side. In the FMA, opinions vary on this issue! An instructor I study with now always, always, always spends as much time on the left hand as on the right, for every technique.

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
My vote goes with training both sides. Some things are designed for one side, and it is very difficult to train these kinds of things on the off side, but overall, I think training both sides is beneficial.

OP
Makalakumu

Makalakumu

Gonzo Karate Apocalypse
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Flying Crane said:
My vote goes with training both sides. Some things are designed for one side, and it is very difficult to train these kinds of things on the off side, but overall, I think training both sides is beneficial.

What kind of things are designed for one side? Do you have an example?

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
upnorthkyosa said:
What kind of things are designed for one side? Do you have an example?

The most obvious is weapons forms, especially things like Chinese Broadsword, or other one-handed weapons. I do practice the basic techniques on both sides, but the forms are designed for use with one hand (generally the right), and that is what I stick with.

Two-handed weapons, such as Chinese spear is also designed for the weapon to be held in one way, and that is predominant thru the form. Again, I practice the basics of the weapon both ways, but the form just the one way.

Often, empty-hand Chinese forms are done with the techniques only on one side (not always true, Wing Chun and Hung Gar forms generally have techniques done on both sides in the form, so I think my generality is more true with northern styles). I sometimes practice the form on the opposite side, but they are LENGTHY and COMPLEX so it can be difficult to do. Again, all the basics I do on both sides, but with the forms, it is less so, altho I do work it in to some degree. To clarify this a little, the forms of course utilize both hands and both feet and the entire body, but the same techniques do not always repeat on the other side in the form for the sake of establishing an ambidextrous balance.

My kenpo forms mostly contain techniques done on both sides, but a couple of the forms do not. With those, I do them on both sides.

Technique application, I do on both sides.

bignick

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
upnorthkyosa said:
I've heard arguments for an against. In Judo, one can be effective with the nage list by training only the right hand throws. In boxing, the left lead can also be very effective. With the sword, I only train my right side.

Actually Judo was probably one of the first arts to really emphasize profiency with both sides of the body. Kano understood the importance of equal training and you can see this in things like the Nage no Kata being done on both sides.

Not that you can't be proficient by only practicing one side...but it's a whole different world doing randori with someone that has good weapons on both sides of the body...

Gemini

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I believe in training both sides, but not initially. You must be comfortabe yet effective. Effect is what we strive to achieve. Because most people's bodies act very differently from one side to the other, you're not going to do that by trying to train both sides initially. Become proficient with one side, then begin to train the other. That's what practice is for, but when it's showtime, we go with our strong suit. Doesn't help if you don't have one.

OP
Makalakumu

Makalakumu

Gonzo Karate Apocalypse
MT Mentor
Reaction score
There are two arguments that usually get thrown around when discussing this in the dojo.

1. Training both sides gives you twice the amount of weapons in a SD situation.

2. Training both sides takes ALOT more time and detracts from excellence on one because time in the dojo is limited. In a SD situation, one is most likely going to go with the strongest side anyway, might as well make sure the strong side is perfect.

What do you think?

The biggest thing I have a problem with when it comes to training both sides is nage waza. I try to do some of the simpler throws on both sides, but some of the more complex require timing multiple steps and it is very difficult.

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
bignick said:
Actually Judo was probably one of the first arts to really emphasize profiency with both sides of the body. Kano understood the importance of equal training

I agree. Who knows where your opponent will be off-balance? In Judo, one does techniques on both sides...a competitior has to do so.

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
I feel that it'll be a benefit to ones training. Is it necessary? No, but IMO, you'll be a bit more well rounded. I feel though that you should have the tech. down very good on the side it was designed for, before attempting to play around with the opposing side.

Mike

RichK

Green Belt
Reaction score
You should train both sides. Look at the south paw, first time that was seen in the ring the opponent was confused and still some are today. I like training and teaching both sides because you never know when one of your sides will be incapacitated <SP>. Example, arm or leg cut, broken rib on one side. You body will naturally protect an injured part, but without opposite side training your brain is going into multiple overtime in 1)as stress situation 2)an injured situation 3)opposite side situation. When I used to teach CPR I would teach on both sides as you never know when someone will fall on a bus, plane or next to a wall.

T

twayman

Bigshadow said:
I personally don't believe it is necessary to try and train both sides equally.

1) I firmly believe that once the body has "got it" or learned a movement, it really doesn't matter which side it uses.

2) I do think that one side might be a little more precise than the other, but negligible in reality.

3) In the time of crisis I believe the body will do what is necessary
regardless of which side you trained the hardest.

1) Try doing a kata; any kata starting on the other side and see if your perception changes. Your brain is not wired to just switch over. You have to train both sides. Can you write using both hands? With practice you can.

2) Not hardly, if you train in both sides they will become closer to equal. If you only train one side you are limiting your-self.

3) In a time of crisis you have no idea what you will do.. period. Hopefully your training will take over.

Latest Discussions