Why do you like Wing Chun?

BFL

Orange Belt
Reaction score
I travel between North Jersey and Central Florida
well for me, at this time in my life I love it because I don't have to try and kick someone in the head, I don't have to flop around on the ground with some dudes buttocks only six inches from my face or whatever while I'm trying to inflict some unstoppable hold on him, I'm winded, a cancer survivor with osteoporosis and seven crushed/herniated discs in my neck and back..... I'm laid back in my older age here and W.C. does not require me to truly exert huge amounts of energy while I'm causing someone else excrusiating pain, discomfort or just tying them up and sending them on their way...... so lilttle effort, such huge results..... okay, it's nap time now. :eek:)

OP
thefearofme

thefearofme

White Belt
Reaction score
The meaning behind science its the simplicity and power of the art. The more deep you go into WC you feel like you are being dipped in knowledge and your mind opens to amazing techniques. I've always thought of learning any martial art to defend myself but I was always like "There so many out there and what is best for me, there is nothing that touches me mind." That thought stopped when I witnessed WC in performance. It felt kind of weird about the whole Siu Lim Tao but slowly things started to make sense like connecting puzzles. I'm not trying to say "WC is the best and all other are bad", but truly martial arts are a way of expressing oneself and WC is my way to express myself.

qwksilver61

Black Belt
Reaction score
I Love the idea that the more Time that I'm involved with Wing Tzun the more I give away.....emotionally,and physically.Totally Tao-Zen,the more that I give up,(emo,phys.) the easier I can flow when I fight ,without restraint.You should never stop learning about this great art.Personally,I like what Both Sifu Emin & Sifu Gutierrez have done for the art....bring it back to it's pugilistic roots,while observing tradition.Also, I love the geometry,and the yin/yang.blah,blah,blah.........
Two cents........

shaolin_al

Orange Belt
Reaction score
I like wing chun because even with all of the politics between different schools the art itself continues to flourish. I have trained with two sifus and both the sifus as well as the students have been extremely humble and the students were all willing to help without bias towards a new student because of rank. Unfortunately nowadays it seems very tough to find not only a good sifu but a well organized school that sticks together instead of breaking off into their own groups. I believe that the senior students and the instructors and the new students are stronger if they stay and train together. Everyone should set aside certain days where they all meet and train together. Even with families and busy lives you would think at least one day a week this would be possible but it seems today people do not look at it like that. Also the sparring aspect seems to be dropping to a minimal not just in wing chun but in many martial arts schools. You must spar at least once in a while to learn self defense. Anyone else agree with me?

wushuguy

Purple Belt
Reaction score
I've tried various styles of martial arts, like TKD, FMA, Karate, WC, to name a few, no matter how much I like to explore other arts, it just keeps boiling down to one thing, practicalness. All martial arts may be able to work, but in modern life, we have to consider practical aspects of self-defense and training, such as being able to train till old age without ill effect, being able to defend oneself if needed and using the right amount of our physical efforts to accomplish maximum results (efficiency), fitting the style to our body type and range of motion rather than trying to fit our body to a certain look or position, and something that can calm us in this rapid fast paced life.
And, no matter how one thinks of it, most CMA while used for fighting, all have a practicalness considering our health, as many of the movements are a kind of qigong, good for mind and body, which WC also has.

Anyway, that's what I think of at the moment.

shaolin_al

Orange Belt
Reaction score
And, no matter how one thinks of it, most CMA while used for fighting, all have a practicalness considering our health, as many of the movements are a kind of qigong, good for mind and body.
I agree some of the CMA styles are excellent to practice into old age and are easier on the body than hard style okinawan karate or taekwondo. I find besides WC especially the internal arts are also good for this, and xingyiquan seems to be great for practicality and health like WC. It's difficult to find styles like that.

LoneSamurai

White Belt
Reaction score
My first martial art was Jeet kune Do, i practised it since i was 8 in Australia and england, got to know more of its history and saw wing chun, i started wing chun when i was 14 and thought it was very practical, controling the body in a way you can manipulate gravity,power, speed,etc. Now i do 3 of the most practical martial arts in the world WC/Krav/Bjj.

Aussie-chilean Martial Artist.20 yrs.

Martial Art isnt self defence its Self Recognition.

Latest Discussions