Chain Speed

dosk3n

Green Belt
Reaction score
Sorry if this has been brought up before and you know I am sure it has but not while Ive been here and since we all like having a discussion I will fetch it up.

How do you practice speed with chain punches?

I know I am faster now than a year ago but I just dont notice it and I still think Im slow in comparrison to most.

What hints can you give to what has worked for you?

Dean.

vatesi

White Belt
Reaction score
Train more. Make sure your posture is correct. Also, make sure you're actually hitting a bag or something on the wall, because it ensures you're transferring your momentum realistically and not just 'ferris wheeling' your arms.

And don't get caught up too much on how many punches you can deliver in a space of time, as stronger individual hits will have greater stopping power in a real fight.

Vajramusti

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
A considered opinion:If you lots of punches correctly- speed and power will take care of themselves. Takes time to get past tightness.
Wall bags do not directly improve your power or speed- they do improve your focus which can indirectly improve your delivery.

joy chaudhuri

mook jong man

Senior Master
Reaction score
A lot of it is a by product of your chi sau training because your forward force is mobilised from your triceps as you try and relax your biceps and other extraneous muscles which helps to make your movements fast and efficient.

I also use a wall bag , but thats more for my stance , for raw punching speed I will punch in the air for a couple of minutes with the last 30 seconds as fast as possible.

We also punch kick shields , but thats mostly for power .
The focus mitts are good if you get your partner to hold it up at head height out in front of him with his other hand braced behind it so it has a bit of resistance , its even better if he starts moving back rapidly and you have to chase him in your stance whilst punching the mitt as fast as you can being sure to maintain correct form .

cwk

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I think one of the most important things is to make sure your form ( form of movement not form as in SLT, CK,etc) is spot on and not getting sloppy when you try to punch fast as this will actually slow you down.
The reason for this is that you'll start incorporating the shoulders into the movement too much instead of pushing from the elbow. I also fully extend without locking out so that I get a natural springy feeling that I find helps with my speed.
hope this helps.

cwk

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I think one of the most important things is to make sure your form when punching ( not form as in SLT, CK,etc) is spot on and not getting sloppy when you try to punch fast as this will actually slow you down.
The reason for this is that you'll start incorporating the shoulders into the movement too much instead of pushing from the elbow. I also fully extend without locking out the elbow so that I get a natural springy feeling that I find helps with my speed.
Like everything in wing chun, it's structure and relaxation that's the key.
hope this helps.

yak sao

Senior Master
Reaction score
I stress to the people I train, to train more for smoothness than speed
This way their speed improves naturally and without being all herky jerky.

However, a few drills we do:

1) Put a focus pad up against the wall and hold it in place with your fist. Then release the pad as your other punch goes out and catches the pad. Hold the pad in place for as long as you can by repeatedly chain punching.

2) Punch for one minute full speed then recuperate by doing the one tan three fook section of SNT ( or any other breathing exercise you may prefer ) Then repeat...punch for one minute...chi kung......

3) Punch full out on wall bag for 10 punches full speed and power then reset and repeat.
When you start to get winded and slow down, reoxygenate the muscles by breathing as in above exercise.

mook jong man

Senior Master
Reaction score
I stress to the people I train, to train more for smoothness than speed
This way their speed improves naturally and without being all herky jerky.

However, a few drills we do:

1) Put a focus pad up against the wall and hold it in place with your fist. Then release the pad as your other punch goes out and catches the pad. Hold the pad in place for as long as you can by repeatedly chain punching.

2) Punch for one minute full speed then recuperate by doing the one tan three fook section of SNT ( or any other breathing exercise you may prefer ) Then repeat...punch for one minute...chi kung......

3) Punch full out on wall bag for 10 punches full speed and power then reset and repeat.
When you start to get winded and slow down, reoxygenate the muscles by breathing as in above exercise.

I like that first one Yak , just out of interest has anyone ever been too slow , missed the pad and hit the wall lol.

OP
dosk3n

dosk3n

Green Belt
Reaction score
Im loving hte idea of keeping hte mit up. I will be trying this. Seems it would be great for judging distance so you dont hit the wall if you miss.

Latest Discussions