Why do you come to the Hapkido Forum?

OP
O

oftheherd1

Senior Master
Reaction score
One other comment to add to distance learning:Visual learners tend to get much more from it than other types, and those who do not have a predominantly visual learning style are generally dismissive of it entirely, mainly because they simply cannot relate to learning in a purely visual way.

Being a visual learner, I get a lot out of videos that others may not.

Daniel

Yessir, that has merit. I'm just sorry for those who aren't. But I suspect some of that comes from you past MA experience. Do you think that makes any difference?

Daniel Sullivan

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Yessir, that has merit. I'm just sorry for those who aren't. But I suspect some of that comes from you past MA experience. Do you think that makes any difference?
Absolutely. Having MA experience allows one to fill in the gaps when looking at pictures in a book, watching videos, etc. But I have learned to do other things from a video, things that I had no previous experience in. As I said, I am a visual learner. If you show me, I can learn it. If you tell me either verbally or in print, assuming that you describe it accurately, I can visualize it and learn it. Kinesthetic? Yes, but not my strong suit.

Daniel

OP
O

oftheherd1

Senior Master
Reaction score
I vist this forum quite a bit, why? mmm there are many things but I think because HKD is a Korean Martial Art and I do TKD wich is also a Korean Martial Art, I think both MA HKD and TKD complement each other and I like to post here and learn some too.

I always feel welcome here and I post some times here too.

Manny

Well, I enjoy seeing your posts in other forums. Any input here from you would be good.

OP
O

oftheherd1

Senior Master
Reaction score
Absolutely. Having MA experience allows one to fill in the gaps when looking at pictures in a book, watching videos, etc. But I have learned to do other things from a video, things that I had no previous experience in. As I said, I am a visual learner. If you show me, I can learn it. If you tell me either verbally or in print, assuming that you describe it accurately, I can visualize it and learn it. Kinesthetic? Yes, but not my strong suit.

Daniel

I agree with you. But it is difficult to describe some moves in print. I have the entire written set of techniques in Soong Moo Kwan Hapkido, from white belt to those for the 3rd Dan test. But they are really more memory joggers. Many would be impossible to figure out from the written instruction alone.

I am not saying you couldn't describe the techniques in writing. I just think it would be difficult to do so in order that everyone would easily understand them the same way.

dortiz

Black Belt
Reaction score
"things in a very Hapkido way."

My primary art is HKD. I started both arts at 18 years old. leaned heavier to TKD for a few years as my teachers were the Old Style. Very Hard. In the end I gravitated back to mainly Hapkido. Now at 46 the Grandmaster I help out with who is Kukkiwon 9th Dan says everything I do looks like Hapkido.

Hapkido is an art of non resistance. Like water you flow. Its not in its nature to argue or push or look for an opposing view. The more you see in the physical art the more you start seeing it in life. At home, at work and in all things. So thus one is more apt to read and think " could be" Or "thats how they see it" .
Again, a very HKD mind set is not Good or Bad just different. Although being very off balance can certainly be bad : )

OP
O

oftheherd1

Senior Master
Reaction score
Nicely put Dortiz, thanks for that. Hapkido (even TDK the little I studied it) as I learned it doesn't look for any opportunity to combat; walking away is OK.

Latest Discussions