Why do people in MMA, Boxing, Kickboxing and Muay Thai fight almost nude?

Gnarlie

Master of Arts
Reaction score
What I mean by culture here is culture like food, clothing, customs and attitudes of being nude or almost nude. Like example is it normal to go nude in public parks? In Germany yes.

Aah, no. In ONE area of ONE park, some people choose to sunbathe or swim naked. Strictly, it's against the law even in that one area of the Englischer Garten.

I wouldn't call that 'normal' in the context of the population of Germany.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Aah, no. In ONE area of ONE park, some people choose to sunbathe or swim naked. Strictly, it's against the law even in that one area of the Englischer Garten.

I wouldn't call that 'normal' in the context of the population of Germany.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

I've never seen people naked in the parks in Germany! or any other country come to think of it. There's naturalist beaches in many countries including the UK and being topless on the beach in France is acceptable.

MAfreak

Purple Belt
Reaction score
at least a gi is a weapon for the opponent. also a sweaty slippery body could help getting out of a clinch and such. :D

JR 137

Grandmaster
Reaction score
New York State beaches allow women to go topless. Since men are allowed to, so are women, as a result of a lawsuit or lawsuit threat.

Exactly what this has to do with MA, I have no idea. Then again, it's a pretty stupid thread, so I might as well add to the stupidity.

I wear a gi because I'm someone who no one in their right mind wants to see nude. I put a towel around my waist to and from the shower in the locker room because I have nothing worth showing, good or bad. I'm no John Holmes, but I'm not what Howard Stern claims to be either.

OP
moonhill99

moonhill99

Brown Belt
Reaction score
What does this have to do with MMA, Boxing, Kickboxing and Muay Thai..

Guys seeing other guys nude or almost nude for the most part is really culturally acceptable in most countries. So any martial arts allowing guys almost nude would be culturally acceptable.

So like the above poster above saying replying to me saying below.

Wearing any clothes at all is a relatively recent development in human history. Tell me, what purpose do they serve when you're fighting? To keep you warm? Hardly. You can see plenty of pictures from old Greek and Roman warriors wrestling in the nude. All you're going to do is muck up any clothes you're wearing.

Remember for the most part guys seeing other guys nude or almost nude for the most part is really culturally acceptable in most countries through earth history.

Like I said above guys swimming nude in pool in some areas!! And nude at beach. Or group of guys showering at gym after a work out or game!!

But for the most part girls showing a lot of skin is not culturally acceptable in lot of countries.

So I'm not sure how MMA, Boxing, Kickboxing and Muay Thai deal with it? Or like countries like in Asia or the middle east wear showing skin is taboo. Do girls just not fight there? Does MMA, Boxing, Kickboxing and Muay Thai not have special rules for culture difference in those countries where showing lot skin is a taboo?

[QUOTE="]Why are you paying attention to who's nude and who isn't in the locker room? Are you seriously keeping track of who's got a better body and why they're covering up or not?[/QUOTE]

That my point that this was not issue before!! But seem now some guys are uncomfortable and probably because of sexuality and LGBT all out in open now where in past no one talked about.

It is sad but seems future generation of guys are afraid to be seen nude or almost nude. So I don't know this will impact MMA, Boxing, Kickboxing and Muay Thai.

OP
moonhill99

moonhill99

Brown Belt
Reaction score
I've seen teenagers have kickboxing matches in just shorts, which is what adults wear. For the rest of it, I have no idea what point you are trying to make since you seem to be rambling on about random things, so I have no comment.

New York State beaches allow women to go topless. Since men are allowed to, so are women, as a result of a lawsuit or lawsuit threat.

Exactly what this has to do with MA, I have no idea. Then again, it's a pretty stupid thread, so I might as well add to the stupidity.

I wear a gi because I'm someone who no one in their right mind wants to see nude. I put a towel around my waist to and from the shower in the locker room because I have nothing worth showing, good or bad. I'm no John Holmes, but I'm not what Howard Stern claims to be either.

Well if older people feel uncomfortable fighting almost nude because of fear of sexuality and LGBT than it does impact MMA, Boxing, Kickboxing and Muay Thai.

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Well if older people feel uncomfortable fighting almost nude because of fear of sexuality and LGBT than it does impact MMA, Boxing, Kickboxing and Muay Thai.
I have never once heard an older person say this, and I've never seen a match wear someone needed to wear a shirt because of that.

OP
moonhill99

moonhill99

Brown Belt
Reaction score
I have never once heard an older person say this, and I've never seen a match wear someone needed to wear a shirt because of that.

Some of those people probably just don't fight. Well MMA rules you cannot wear t-shirt. May be in Asia or the middle east you can or girls can.

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Some of those people probably just don't fight. Well MMA rules you cannot wear t-shirt. May be in Asia or the middle east you can or girls can.
Ok, so you have no evidence for this and are just going off your own unfounded assumptions. Got it.

Dinkydoo

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Has anybody mentioned one of the most obvious things yet....that clothing can restrict movement?

I've trained places where the trousers were totally counter productive to throwing high, fast kicks. For the last couple of years I've only trained in shorts/t-shirt...and it's great

So I'm not sure how MMA, Boxing, Kickboxing and Muay Thai deal with it? Or like countries like in Asia or the middle east wear showing skin is taboo. Do girls just not fight there? Does MMA, Boxing, Kickboxing and Muay Thai not have special rules for culture difference in those countries where showing lot skin is taboo

Some of these countries that you're referring to don't even allow women to drive....and they stone gay people to death for showing public affection. Discussing what the women might wear in their home-grown MMA competitions seems like a moot point of discussion to me, since there are likely to be a variety of complicated cultural issues tangled up in some pretty hardcore religious nonsense that will need to be deciphered whilst we're at it.

That my point that this was not issue before!! But seem now some guys are uncomfortable and probably because of sexuality and LGBT all out in open now where in past no one talked about.

I don't think it is because men are scared of gay people eyeing them up. At least, not for the majority people where I live.

Time goes on, things change. I remember when I was young that being held on the front of my grandpa's motorbike, riding in the boot of a van and playing in the river were all pretty much socially acceptable things. Not so much, now.

It is sad but seems future generation of guys are afraid to be seen nude or almost nude. So I don't know this will impact MMA, Boxing, Kickboxing and Muay Thai.

People who get seriously into any of these sports won't care by the time they're getting good enough to worry about 'having to go topless in a fight' ... just like they'll no longer care (much) about being punched in the face, when years/months ago that too seemed like a big issue.

I've generalised a bit, but I think (hope) they're all valid points.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Some of those people probably just don't fight. Well MMA rules you cannot wear t-shirt.

You are wrong actually. In MMA men can wear a rashguard if they wish, they can wear a Gi if they wish, they can even wear tshirts, they just chose not to. I think you are making this all up and have an unhealthy interest in what people wear for martial arts. You seem to be thinking things that normal people don't.
This MMA Fighter Is Asian, Female and Muslim

Really? I don't know what is in your head but I think it must be pretty murky to come up with this.

lklawson

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Why do people in [...] Boxing [...] fight almost nude? And why do they take their t-shirt off? Is it to look really tough and mean looking?
[...]
I wonder if this more culture of west than what you get like in east?
Probably the mustaches.

381-1218461741-ad1a0c77f3b5a851ad884da748c60bd4.jpg
382-1218461741-0dd03386bbf4a40323607f574d9cd4b5.jpg
861-1240232558-5ee7997f7866791bc554793f20265f67.png
1482-1281063391-e7f4940e6bdeb0cb3cdede8c817edba2.png
2005-1323390435-2bf9a10c1eca5d69af1432aed03c2d96.jpg
404-1219068462-c4f5ec27187cc128c9bce1374ae5aab8.jpg
390-1218461795-3d3c40540357f207c3b2566d3ce92c58.jpg

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk

OP
moonhill99

moonhill99

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Or may be the problem is 90% of people don't find it strange ( may be me) or need to talk about why MMA fighters or boxers are fighting almost nude.

My be in 50 or 100 years from now they will be nude or fully clothes or wearing some thing like GI.

What is your point.

Wait you were serious about that?

If you want to talk about this old thread than talk about it here than hijacking the other thread.

Like I said most guys seem to be okay fighting almost dude unless may be insecurity problem of showing skin. Some girls showing skin may be more uncomfortable than other girls and well may be more girls from middle eat will feel uncomfortable.

Like said in locker room some guys are okay being nude and other guys grab for the towel and walk around with towel cover them self and doing funny dance putting clothes on.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If you want to talk about this old thread than talk about it here than hijacking the other thread.

Like I said most guys seem to be okay fighting almost dude unless may be insecurity problem of showing skin. Some girls showing skin may be more uncomfortable than other girls and well may be more girls from middle eat will feel uncomfortable.

Like said in locker room some guys are okay being nude and other guys grab for the towel and walk around with towel cover them self and doing funny dance putting clothes on.

You totally take over that thread then castigate someone for commenting about your strange posts, wow, that is really some chutzpah you have.

I don't think people fight 'almost dude' and I wonder where you think the 'middle eat' is. Please don't go around criticising journalist's and other poster's English until you have sorted yours out. Oh and saying 'showing skin' sounds creepy.

Kickboxer101

Master Black Belt
Reaction score

Ummm the way people dress in fight sports is no different to how they are on the beach or In swimming pools and no ones going to be walking In a towel they've got big long shorts on and some women fight in full t shirts. Honestly this is just a weird thing to comment on I've never even heard of this being an issue before

OP
moonhill99

moonhill99

Brown Belt
Reaction score
You totally take over that thread then castigate someone for commenting about your strange posts, wow, that is really some chutzpah you have.

I don't think people fight 'almost dude' and I wonder where you think the 'middle eat' is. Please don't go around criticising journalist's and other poster's English until you have sorted yours out. Oh and saying 'showing skin' sounds creepy.

You talked about this thread in that other thread.

You are the person who started a thread asking why boxers and MMA fighters fought practically nude so you can't expect to be taken seriously when you then ramble about all sorts on a thread about a tragic death. You complained about the news article
[QUOTE="Tez3, post: 1791065, member: 10553

Now go away.

I'm done with you.

OP
moonhill99

moonhill99

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Ummm the way people dress in fight sports is no different to how they are on the beach or In swimming pools and no ones going to be walking In a towel they've got big long shorts on and some women fight in full t shirts. Honestly this is just a weird thing to comment on I've never even heard of this being an issue before

I was saying in locker room, I have seen some guys nude and have towel and doing dance to not show one self.

As for US base on culture it is socially acceptable for guys ( most guys are okay) to be topless and girls to show skin if private parts are covered.

Well some girls may cover up more and other girls show lot more skin.

Cannot say about other countries or cultures. Different culture extreme.

Latest Discussions