Why do people in MMA, Boxing, Kickboxing and Muay Thai fight almost nude?

moonhill99

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Why do people in MMA, Boxing, Kickboxing and Muay Thai fight almost nude? And why do they take their t-shirt off? Is it to look really tough and mean looking? I know when they are training and sparring some times they may have their t-shirt on. But when fight comes up they are almost nude both guys and girls.

I know amateur boxing and amateur Kickboxing match they fight with a t-shirt on but this only amateur boxing and amateur Kickboxing match.

I wonder if this more culture of west than what you get like in east?

kuniggety

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Wearing any clothes at all is a relatively recent development in human history. Tell me, what purpose do they serve when you're fighting? To keep you warm? Hardly. You can see plenty of pictures from old Greek and Roman warriors wrestling in the nude. All you're going to do is muck up any clothes you're wearing.

JR 137

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Western culture vs Eastern? Have you ever seen sumo? I wouldn't call Muay Thai Western culture either.

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Every fight could ruin your shirt with blood. In MMA, they could grab onto the shirt, which I imagine would make it more difficult for you (kinda like gi vs no gi grappling)

Ironbear24

Senior Master
Reaction score
To show off the muscles, I always wear no shirt under my Gi to show off my pecs and manly chest hair.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
In MMA, it's to reduce the grips and friction for grappling. In early UFCs, some wore a Gi, but that didn't last long, as they learned that sweat helps with armbar defense.

OP
moonhill99

moonhill99

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Western culture vs Eastern? Have you ever seen sumo? I wouldn't call Muay Thai Western culture either.

Probably culture difference of Western culture vs Eastern culture. And old way of doing things than the new way of doing things.

That if MMA, Boxing, Kickboxing and Muay Thai started today it probably would be different.

And also girls that are into MMA, Boxing, Kickboxing and Muay Thai. Where guys have probably always been more okay being almost nude than girls of just being a gender difference.

OP
moonhill99

moonhill99

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Because you can't fight completely nude.

It funny because I noticed , we had group showers at my high school, group showers at my college!!

Well group showers at my really old health club. It was no big deal. But the newer health club's new building had individual showers.

This was when I was younger.

Well I don't know if it's sad or funny to see these younger guys carefully trying to pull their underwear on underneath the towel wrapped around their waist!!

I have noticed too men in locker rooms seem more modest than they used to be. They are less likely to face the common area of the locker room when they change and guys that shower seem to try pretty hard to avoid exposing themselves on the way to and on the way back from the showers

Thing is mostly younger guys. Older guys seem to care less. Also, guys with better bodies are more self-conscious.

OP
moonhill99

moonhill99

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Also one of my friends noted that many of the swimmers guys at the Athens Olympics were wearing body suits instead of speedos, or otherwise covering up excessively.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
It funny because I noticed , we had group showers at my high school, group showers at my college!!

Well group showers at my really old health club. It was no big deal. But the newer health club's new building had individual showers.

Well I don't know if it's sad or funny to see these younger guys carefully trying to pull their underwear on underneath the towel wrapped around their waist!!

I have noticed too men in locker rooms seem more modest than they used to be. They are less likely to face the common area of the locker room when they change and guys that shower seem to try pretty hard to avoid exposing themselves on the way to and on the way back from the showers

Thing is mostly younger guys. Older guys seem to care less. Also, guys with better bodies are more self-conscious.

Our shower is on a wall in the car park. It is an exhibitionists dream.

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Probably culture difference of Western culture vs Eastern culture. And old way of doing things than the new way of doing things.

That if MMA, Boxing, Kickboxing and Muay Thai started today it probably would be different.

And also girls that are into MMA, Boxing, Kickboxing and Muay Thai. Where guys have probably always been more okay being almost nude than girls of just being a gender difference.
I don't think you fully understand what he was saying.
Western Culture: MMA/Boxing/Kickboxing: Fighters fight in shorts. Eastern Culture: Muay Thai/Sanda/Sumo: Fighters fight in shorts or less than shorts.
Both have "almost nude" fighting.

Also, Western Culture: American Karate/American Kenpo/Savate: Fighters wear more clothes. Eastern Culture: Judo/Kendo/Most Kung Fu styles: Fighters wear more clothes.
Both have "clothed" fighting. It is definitely NOT due to culture difference. I could make the exact same comparison with "old way" vs. "new way". The main difference is which is more effective for the purposes of the art, and honestly part of it is probably what the founders of the art felt more comfortable with.

JR 137

Grandmaster
Reaction score

Why are you paying attention to who's nude and who isn't in the locker room? Are you seriously keeping track of who's got a better body and why they're covering up or not?

Also one of my friends noted that many of the swimmers guys at the Athens Olympics were wearing body suits instead of speedos, or otherwise covering up excessively.

Those suits made them faster. If it was allowed, they'd go completely nude if that made them faster. They didn't cover up due to anything but gaining an edge.

What are you talking about?

I'm m pretty sure this is the worst thread I've seen here.

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Why are you paying attention to who's nude and who isn't in the locker room? Are you seriously keeping track of who's got a better body and why they're covering up or not?

Those suits made them faster. If it was allowed, they'd go completely nude if that made them faster. They didn't cover up due to anything but gaining an edge.

What are you talking about?

I'm m pretty sure this is the worst thread I've seen here.
Nobody knows the Martialtalk I've seen. Nobody knows my sorrow. :arghh:

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Body suits are banned. Athens Olympics was in 2004 things have moved on since then.

This is a seriously weird thread.

OP
moonhill99

moonhill99

Brown Belt
Reaction score
I don't think you fully understand what he was saying.
Western Culture: MMA/Boxing/Kickboxing: Fighters fight in shorts. Eastern Culture: Muay Thai/Sanda/Sumo: Fighters fight in shorts or less than shorts.
Both have "almost nude" fighting.

Also, Western Culture: American Karate/American Kenpo/Savate: Fighters wear more clothes. Eastern Culture: Judo/Kendo/Most Kung Fu styles: Fighters wear more clothes.
Both have "clothed" fighting. It is definitely NOT due to culture difference. I could make the exact same comparison with "old way" vs. "new way". The main difference is which is more effective for the purposes of the art, and honestly part of it is probably what the founders of the art felt more comfortable with.

No that is not what I was saying about culture. I'm not talking about martial arts style and the science and understanding of the martial arts style what they wear and why.

What I mean by culture here is culture like food, clothing, customs and attitudes of being nude or almost nude. Like example is it normal to go nude in public parks? In Germany yes. In France, no.

There are nude beaches and there are non nude beaches. Some countries are more open to nudity than others. In Amsterdam girls can go topless at the beach. Some countries can show nudity on TV of both sexes.

Some countries it is taboo for people to wear shorts like in some middle east countries that girls have to have lot of clothing on.

Are guys okay being almost nude or nude well more socially acceptable than girls.

Can you go swimming in pool nude? Some places yes?

Even in the US customs and attitudes of guys showering with other guys nude at the gym where lot more wide spread and custom back in old days. In the US some issues like homophobia today may be why you see less guys showering with other guys like in past. Where in old days more a taboo to talk about sexuality and LGBT. Where today sexuality and LGBT more out in open.

I seen guys showered nude and quickly cover up with a towel at all other times dressed as quickly as possible and avoided interaction with others. Other guys using towel and doing weird towel-dance behavior well they change clothes not to show their parts or much of their skin!! Other guys who immediately strip down and then conduct all their business while in the locker room naked and taking their time even chatting to you nude.

My point is how MMA, Boxing, Kickboxing and Muay Thai fit in with cultures, customs and attitudes.

I'm sure martial arts you not going to see kids and teens going at it almost nude. At least in US anyways.

And issue like swimming or MMA, Boxing, Kickboxing and Muay Tha in Asia or the middle east where showing lot of skin even a t-shirt and shorts in taboo.

I get it that in a street fight t-shirt and shorts get destroyed or people could grab onto it. And it is harder to fight nude than with clothes on. And can't grab onto shirts, pants or shorts. So only cover up private parts in MMA.

But this does not answer thread of culture and customs of showing skin. Some girls may not want to fight with out a t-shirt of only in bra. And LGBT issue could even make some guys not want to fight or in some countries where showing lot of skin is taboo.

So I'm little shock if MMA, Boxing, Kickboxing and Muay Tha are dead lock in old ways and like that in all countries even Asia and the Middle East where showing lot of skin is taboo.

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I've seen teenagers have kickboxing matches in just shorts, which is what adults wear. For the rest of it, I have no idea what point you are trying to make since you seem to be rambling on about random things, so I have no comment.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
No that is not what I was saying about culture. I'm not talking about martial arts style and the science and understanding of the martial arts style what they wear and why.

What I mean by culture here is culture like food, clothing, customs and attitudes of being nude or almost nude. Like example is it normal to go nude in public parks? In Germany yes. In France, no.

There are nude beaches and there are non nude beaches. Some countries are more open to nudity than others. In Amsterdam girls can go topless at the beach. Some countries can show nudity on TV of both sexes.

Some countries it is taboo for people to wear shorts like in some middle east countries that girls have to have lot of clothing on.

Are guys okay being almost nude or nude well more socially acceptable than girls.

Can you go swimming in pool nude? Some places yes?

Even in the US customs and attitudes of guys showering with other guys nude at the gym where lot more wide spread and custom back in old days. In the US some issues like homophobia today may be why you see less guys showering with other guys like in past. Where in old days more a taboo to talk about sexuality and LGBT. Where today sexuality and LGBT more out in open.

I seen guys showered nude and quickly cover up with a towel at all other times dressed as quickly as possible and avoided interaction with others. Other guys using towel and doing weird towel-dance behavior well they change clothes not to show their parts or much of their skin!! Other guys who immediately strip down and then conduct all their business while in the locker room naked and taking their time even chatting to you nude.

My point is how MMA, Boxing, Kickboxing and Muay Thai fit in with cultures, customs and attitudes.

I'm sure martial arts you not going to see kids and teens going at it almost nude. At least in US anyways.

And issue like swimming or MMA, Boxing, Kickboxing and Muay Tha in Asia or the middle east where showing lot of skin even a t-shirt and shorts in taboo.

I get it that in a street fight t-shirt and shorts get destroyed or people could grab onto it. And it is harder to fight nude than with clothes on. And can't grab onto shirts, pants or shorts. So only cover up private parts in MMA.

But this does not answer thread of culture and customs of showing skin. Some girls may not want to fight with out a t-shirt of only in bra. And LGBT issue could even make some guys not want to fight or in some countries where showing lot of skin is taboo.

So I'm little shock if MMA, Boxing, Kickboxing and Muay Tha are dead lock in old ways and like that in all countries even Asia and the Middle East where showing lot of skin is taboo.

Athletic attire is generally pretty skimpy. But due to why it is worn. It is usually considered less of a sexual issue than say skimpy gear to go clubbing.

Latest Discussions