Why do New Agers Make Our Blood Boil So?

Steel Tiger

Senior Master
Reaction score
I lost it when I was told "Everyone else does Tai Chi wrong, only we know how to put the Chi into Tai Chi" Exact quote. quote]

And here we have yet another reason to run these people out of town on a rail. The 'chi' in tai chi does not refer to qi, as in breathe or energy, but to final or ultimate, and of course should be pronounce 'gee'. It doesn't take that much research to discover this fact.

Oh by the way, there is another thread about the Mayan calender and the end of the world. That demonstrates another reason to be very wary of the new age perspective, and why they make blood so frequently boil.

Sukerkin

Have the courage to speak softly
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
This is off-topic, for which I apologise, but this thread seems to have attracted a number of experienced and knowledgeable tai-chi practitioners.

As the result of a bad motorcycle accident a long time ago, I have a right forearm that is 100% reconstructed i.e. no real bone between wrist and elbow, most of the muscle cut away.

That accident meant I could no longer practice the kung fu (lau gar) I'd done for the previous twelve years as my right arm cannot take much in the way of either shock or twisting. It has lead me into the Japanese sword arts, for which I am grateful (altho' tamashagiri does tend to make my arm swell alarmingly :D) but I would also love to get back into an empty-hand art. My doctors tell me "No way!" but I wonder if you chaps could advise me as to whether tai-chi is 'performable' properly with a handicap like I describe?

As I say, many apologies for the OT'ness but having a tai-chi member focus-puller thread prompted my question :blush:.

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
This is off-topic, for which I apologise, but this thread seems to have attracted a number of experienced and knowledgeable tai-chi practitioners.

As the result of a bad motorcycle accident a long time ago, I have a right forearm that is 100% reconstructed i.e. no real bone between wrist and elbow, most of the muscle cut away.

That accident meant I could no longer practice the kung fu (lau gar) I'd done for the previous twelve years as my right arm cannot take much in the way of either shock or twisting. It has lead me into the Japanese sword arts, for which I am grateful (altho' tamashagiri does tend to make my arm swell alarmingly :D) but I would also love to get back into an empty-hand art. My doctors tell me "No way!" but I wonder if you chaps could advise me as to whether tai-chi is 'performable' properly with a handicap like I describe?

As I say, many apologies for the OT'ness but having a tai-chi member focus-puller thread prompted my question :blush:.

Give it a try, see how it goes. Start slow, probably Yang or Sun style would be best as Chen has more complex movement that might not be good for your arm.

I obviously cannot say for sure, but I think it would be worth exploring. Let us know how it works out...

Sukerkin

Have the courage to speak softly
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Thanks Crane :tup:.

I'll look into what you suggest. You may fathom the depths of my ignorance on this from the fact that I didn't even know that Ta-chi had strata of 'schools' within it :O (tho' given the multitude of kung fu styles I really shouldn't be surprised :)).

mfinn

White Belt
Reaction score
There is an axiom called Gresham's Law that says "Bad money drives out good." In the old days, when money was coinage and consisted of alloys with high percentages of gold or silver, unscrupulous people would find ways to reproduce the coins with less of the gold or silver present. As society became aware of this, people tended to withdraw from circulation the "good" coins they had because they did not want to give someone good money and less valuable money inreturn. Pretty soon, the only coins circulating were debased. And people lost their faith in money.

This is what happens when people claim to be representing any great art or practice when they are not. They are vandals. They are debasing something worthy. Pretty soon the only Taji Quan will be what the people in the adult diaper commercials are doing. This is why what these people do is not a victimless crime. Unchecked, there will be no one left in fifty years who has any idea what it really is. The bad will drive out the good.

Steel Tiger

Senior Master
Reaction score

Why not give it a go. It can't have any worse an effect than the tamashagiri you have been doing. And if it does you can always stop.

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score

Go for it, give Yang style a try or Cheng Manching style.

I agree with Crane that Chen might not be a good idea since it tends to be a bit more strenuous.

By the way, all Traditional Taiji styles will also get into weapons forms later in your training.

Latest Discussions