Why did the Katana and some Chinese swords like the Jian develops schools of unorthodox grip approach but European styles never did?

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I loved the series. Hated the ending.
I never read it, but have heard what it's about. Isn't the whole idea that there shouldn't be an ending?

Also, from what I recall, the final books were handed off to Sanderson, after Jordan's death. Not sure how much was "Ending", and how much was already written, and Sanderson's a great author. But at any given time he's working on like 5 different books, and it's tough to work on someone else's project and get the mindset right.

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
I never read it, but have heard what it's about. Isn't the whole idea that there shouldn't be an ending?

Also, from what I recall, the final books were handed off to Sanderson, after Jordan's death. Not sure how much was "Ending", and how much was already written, and Sanderson's a great author. But at any given time he's working on like 5 different books, and it's tough to work on someone else's project and get the mindset right.
As I understand it, the ending was pretty well outlined by Jordan before his death, and Sanderson was specifically expected to adhere to that outline as much as possible. The ending was the end of a cycle of the wheel. I agree with Kirk, though. It was weak.
I enjoyed the series, but felt like it was too long. By the last couple books, I was more than ready for them to get to the final battle with the BBEG.

lklawson

Grandmaster
Reaction score

Not exactly. There's a definite end to the story arc. But one of the basic premises is that all major "history" for humanity repeats and everyone is reborn, often playing the same major role in the new repeat of the old saga; especially for the big, important characters.

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk

Oily Dragon

Senior Master
Reaction score
Not exactly. There's a definite end to the story arc. But one of the basic premises is that all major "history" for humanity repeats and everyone is reborn, often playing the same major role in the new repeat of the old saga; especially for the big, important characters.

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk
That reminds me. As a disciple of the Enso, twin sabers, not to mention the 三十六計, I have to remember the true meaning of revolution. Melting the iron wheel.

On this, I shall meditate. While slashing the wind with two swords. So unorthodox.

Latest Discussions