Why body aches???

Manny

Senior Master
Reaction score
I don't know why afther a training session my body aches, I have one year training and my body aches everyday, right now I have a pain in my lefth foot, it seems like a joint were the ankle and foot meet each other, howerver my legs always hurt me and wehn we do wrestling my chest,back and arms hurts alot.

Maybe the age???

Manny

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Manny I hurt everyday it is age, but jsut think like me, it is a great hurt and I can live with it.

newGuy12

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I am 42 years old -- but I prefer to say 42 years "young". I have the mindset of a young man. I like to exercise and so forth. I cannot withstand the practice that I used to be able to do.

I feel this soreness, it is pain, but it is not pronounced. It is not acute pain, as injury gives, only a soreness, this is no problem. If one has acute pain, I think it is best practice, if possible, to seek out some medical professional.

As for the "run of the mill", regular pain that comes as a matter of course from exercise, be it lifting weights or doing TKD, okay, if you think that is painful, try NOT doing the exercise. Oh, then one will see pain, yes.

It beats the alternative. I have to get out there and get my licks in. In the Dojang, in the weight gym. It is better pain than losing strenght and range of motion! I will not go into advanced age as a couch potatoe! I will have the six-pack abdomen. And I will from time to time go to the coffee house, and say, "OH, I have something on my mouth here." And I will wipe it off with my shirt, all the while showing off the rowdy six pack abodomen!!!

:highfive:

ukdal1

White Belt
Reaction score
It could be arthritis.......even younger people have it. I do and I'm just 28. I have developed it because of injuries and being rough on my body in my line of work over the years. I always take ibuprofen and it helps me alot. Hope you feel better!

StuartA

Black Belt
Reaction score
During hard training, lactic acid builds up in your muscles.. to get rid of this a cool down is needed after training. If affects different people in different ways.. but if your aching, try some light exercise and stretching after a training session and see how you feel the following day.

Hope it helps,

Stuart

OP
Manny

Manny

Senior Master
Reaction score
Well I'm 40 and trying to come back afther several years of inactivity, it could be the rust in my joints,bones and muscles jejejeje!!

Even it hurts (every day) I won't go back cause it will worse in a few years more, so I rather prefer some pain now that a lot of pain when I go to 60. Is there some medicine to ease the lactid acid? I think I'm gona buy some ankle elastic device (sorry don't know the name in english) to compes a litle my ankle joint and feel more secure.

Manny

Deaf Smith

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I don't know why afther a training session my body aches, I have one year training and my body aches everyday, right now I have a pain in my lefth foot, it seems like a joint were the ankle and foot meet each other, howerver my legs always hurt me and wehn we do wrestling my chest,back and arms hurts alot.

Maybe the age???

Manny

Manny,

Age is a factor as when you get older you cannot heal as fast. But pain has many sources. Somatic, Visceral, and Neuropathic Pain are three.

Somatic Pain is caused by a number of factors like contractions due to paralysis, spasticity, flabbiness, disuse, misuse, inflammation, repetive trauma, excessive activity (my problem), vigorous streaching (my problem.) Generally speaking, somatic pain is usually aggravated by activity and relieved by rest. This is usually what you get in a martial arts workout.

Visceral pain is vague and not well localized and is usually described as pressure-like, deep squeezing, dull or diffuse. Usually it's organ dammage. I can only see one getting that by being hit or having a heart attack while training.

Neuropathic Pain usuall feels like a burning, tingling, shooting, stinging, or "pins and needles" sensation. Some people also complain of a stabbing, piercing, cutting, and drilling pain. It's caused by injury or malfunction to the spinal cord and peripheral nerves. I've had that when doing kicks so hard I did all kinds of dammage. BTW it's diffuse and occurs at the level or below the level of injury, most often in the legs, back, feet, thighs, and toes, etc... And it many occur days or weeks after the injury.

I have found, after a real hard workout, Advil decrease swelling and a good hot bath takes away alot of the pain. Budwiser also helps sometimes (but not with Advil) :)

Deaf

morph4me

Goin' with the flow
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Manny I hurt everyday it is age, but jsut think like me, it is a great hurt and I can live with it.

I have to agree, i can't remember the last time I didn't have pain somewhere, but as my DI's used to tell me, pain is good, it let's you know you're alive.

Sukerkin

Have the courage to speak softly
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I have to concur, Tom. Since I rode into the mid-40's I have reached an understanding of why middle-aged people always seem to be grumpy ... it's 'cos we hurt all the time :D.

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Manny I hurt everyday it is age, but just think like me, it is a great hurt and I can live with it.

Absolutely Terry! The pain lets us know we are alive.
icon6.gif

kidswarrior

Senior Master
Reaction score
Well I'm 40 and trying to come back afther several years of inactivity, it could be the rust in my joints,bones and muscles jejejeje!!

Even it hurts (every day) I won't go back cause it will worse in a few years more, so I rather prefer some pain now that a lot of pain when I go to 60. Is there some medicine to ease the lactid acid? I think I'm gona buy some ankle elastic device (sorry don't know the name in english) to compes a litle my ankle joint and feel more secure.

Manny
I'm no expert on workout physiology, but like some of the other Grumpy Old Men who've already posted, I am old. :D So, here's my experience with types of pain and what I do about it:

Muscle pain, from exercising specific groups (as in doing push ups). Lactic acid builds up, and as others said stretching, Advil, soaking in the tub can all help.

Bruising: Doesn't happen so much after a certain number of years training, but I've always ignored it. The better the circulation, the faster the pooled blood (hematoma) disperses back into the body. If it's really bad/painful and accompanied by swelling, ice for the first few hours can help.

Joint pain: I'm very careful of this. Joints don't heal well, if at all, once they're pushed too far (and I've pushed too may too far already :)). The same remedies as for muscle pain help in the short term, but for long term, I work to build the muscle groups around the joint to take more of the pressure. Example: for my terrible knees, I do stance work and forms (don't even wear braces anymore--but don't do a lot of rolling around on the mats, either: no sense tempting fate). For my chipped and ground-down C-3 to C-5 vertebrae, between which the nerves have to reach the arms, etc ;), again try to build the trapezium muscles, and those around them. Helps immensely (and if I get lazy and don't do these, Oh boy!).

For broken/deformed bones (old breaks), to keep the arthritis manageable, just have to keep active. But not like I'm a kid of 35 again--that would be reckless. The alternative as several have said, is use it or lose it.

Anyway, hope my experience might help a little. :asian:

AceHBK

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Manny,

Start getting massages. I have started getting them are I swear I feel great afterwards. U should be able to get an hour massage for under $100 (I usually pay 70) and it helps.

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score

Maybe the age???

Manny
Conditioning may help, but there are things your body was just not made to do.
sean

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score

Maybe the age???

Manny

Ahh the joys of age, I'm a geezer and proud of it ad pain is part of training these days. Muscle pain is really no big deal, IMO, but joint pain can be. If you are suffering from joint pain talk to your teacher.

However I may not be the best person to get advice from on MT on this topic. I was once called a "genuine, certifiable MA House O' Pain maniac" by another on MT :D :EG:

I hurt everyday it is age, but jsut think like me, it is a great hurt and I can live with it.

I know.. ain't it great :EG:

KELLYG

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Some medications can give you a sore muscle type symptoms. Some cholesterol medications especially can cause flu type soreness.

I have fond long bath in Epsom salts is good. There is a chiropractic technique called active release therapy that has helped my flexibility and has helped relieve soreness.

But some level of residual post exercise pain is good.. It lets you know that your fitness level is being improved

Deaf Smith

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Manny,

Keep in mind what Falcon said.

"Pain heals"
"Chicks dig scars'
"And Glory is forever!"

Deaf

Windsinger

Green Belt
Reaction score
Keep in mind what Falcon said.
I always prefer to remember what W.C. Fields said: You're only as old as the woman you feel. :wink:

What that has to do with the subject at hand, I have no idea...

Seriously, though, I'm 38, and, up until this past Monday, I haven't had any problems with my training. Now, for some reason, I've been stiff as all hell the last two days. I got out of the dojang on Monday, and could barely move my arms. Which is extra odd for me, because we spent the whole 75 minute doing leg work. *shrug* I guess I'll see what happens tonight. Assuming, of course, my fiancee can come relieve me at work so I can go to class. Otherwise, no TKD for me until Monday.

cbjr5

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Getting old may have its drawbacks. Even though my mind says I'm young, my 42 year old body feels everyone of those years. But, like in several of the comments said, the pain lets me know I'm alive. I just have to work out the creeks a little longer in the morning now!!!!!:uhyeah:

rmclain

Black Belt
Reaction score
I seem to be the exception here. I've been training since 1977 or so, but I can only say that I have trained daily for about the past 16 years along with weight training.

I don't have any joint, bone or muscle trouble/pains besides the normal muscle soreness associated with hard physical training. But, I do practice a system of martials arts that was designed to avoid those problems by using natural body motions in training. This simply means to use proper biomechanics of the human body. So, maybe this is the difference in my case.

R. McLain

Latest Discussions