how far have you strayed from what was taught originally to you ?

Kenpo Missle 47

White Belt
Reaction score
what have you stop doing what have added , do you go back from time to time to practice what you left behind ? why did you leave things out in the first place ?

K-man

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I started with Goju Kai and after many years changed to the Okinawan form of Goju. So what changed? The name changed from Goju Kai to Goju Ryu. Similar basics, similar kata, everything else is different, so much so that it is difficult to comprehend how a system could have been changed so much within one generation and still claim to be related to the original system. :asian:

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
what have you stop doing what have added , do you go back from time to time to practice what you left behind ? why did you leave things out in the first place ?

I've stopped doing the SKK that I learned when I first started training. Since then, I've moved on the Parker and now Tracy system. I've added more weapon training (FMA) and ground training (BJJ). Why have I left things? Probably because I've found something that is better, makes more sense, etc.

searcher

Senior Master
Reaction score
Holy cow!! This is huge and would require me to take several hours to fill in the blanks. Short answer: I have changed about dang near everything. What I teach today looks very little like what I originally was taught. I have taken parts from about dang near every system I have trained in and tacked them onto a central base. Sets from EPAK, SD techniques from Hawaiian Kenpo, Sabaki and kata from Ashihara, kata from Chito-ryu and Isshinryu, boxing techniques, BJJ techniques,...... It is a massive smashing of skills and techniques.

MA-Caver

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Very good question indeed.

As a JKDI it's hard to say how far I've strayed from what I was originally taught years ago. I'm always adding and tossing away.
For example: I no longer do round-house kicks or even high kicks anymore but it's mainly because I haven't really practiced on them and don't see the need for them. I've found most conflicts to be close quarter types, thus adapted my (no) style to that.

sfs982000

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I think this is an excellent question. The beauty part of martial arts is that the arts are constantly evolving and changing and as modern martial artists go it seems the norm these days have backgrounds in many different styles/systems. So it goes with out saying that an individual will more than likely eventually stray from certain things from certain styles that they either don't like or don't feel work best for them and take those things from those systems that work best to their strengths.

bushidomartialarts

Senior Master
Reaction score
Just about everything has changed...although I still sometimes teach the basics from my beginning to new students I work with.

I object to using the word "stray" here. It no more appropriate than suggesting Stephen King "strayed" from his writing style in "Carrie" to his writing style in "The Stand"....or saying the US Constitution "strayed" when we added amendments guaranteeing civil rights.

It's growth and evolution, not abandoning original principals.

MA-Caver

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Just about everything has changed...although I still sometimes teach the basics from my beginning to new students I work with.

I object to using the word "stray" here. It no more appropriate than suggesting Stephen King "strayed" from his writing style in "Carrie" to his writing style in "The Stand"....or saying the US Constitution "strayed" when we added amendments guaranteeing civil rights.

It's growth and evolution, not abandoning original principals.
Good points but the word stray shouldn't be objectionable, more-n-likely it was for want of a better word but I do think it does have application. Changing, growing, evolving is straying from the original source. While it's nice to sometimes be able to go back to the original source jumping from one path to another can be considered straying. Whether it's good or bad will depend upon the direction which the path lies. :asian:

I always enjoy teaching beginning students my knowledge because it reminds me of the basics and simplicity which helps in furthering understanding of the more advanced techniques.

Daniel Sullivan

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I remain true to my basics in the arts that I have practiced for any length of time (taekwondo, hapkido, and kumdo). Seems to have worked well for over thirty years.

I have never considered myself a 'natural' fighter or MA prodigy, though I could always handle a sword pretty okay from the time I first picked one up (a wooden one at that time).

I am not sure that this qualifies as changing or straying from what I have been taught, but I have gravited away from taekwondo and more towards hapkido, but I still practice my forms and do not change the way that I execute taekwondo techniques.

Daniel

Latest Discussions