Who Wrestled in High School?

Pyrock

Green Belt
Reaction score
I know this is an older thread but very interesting because my son has been doing a little wrestling. I say "a little" because he only does it once a week at most but has been at it for almost a year. He started when he was 6 and is now 7.

This thread is interesting because he loves wrestling and will probably do it in highschool. The only problem is that he has little time to participate in wrestling more than once a week due to his Tae Kwon Do and BJJ.

Does anyone think that BJJ will hurt his wrestling or will it help? He is only 7 years old but already understands that BJJ and wrestling are different...ie. he doesn't go into full guard while wrestling and just goes for the full mount. I tell him to concentrate on take-downs such as singles, doubles, and hip throws as well as full mounts and side control during wrestling practice.

I hope he continues into highschool and college. Many coaches say that if he sticks to it, he will be a "monster" in highschool. I have to admit that he's pretty good on the ground and enjoys it a lot.

Pyrock

Green Belt
Reaction score
Wrestling got me started in martial arts. I wrestled from 5th grade to my sophmore year in college. It helped make me the person I am today. In the Lansing Michigan area wrestling is a big deal and most of the better athletes in our high school were wrestlers. I took my first Judo class to help improve my throws for free style wrestling and Greco. I had a great fall this last year since my two boys 5 and 8 wrestled in their first tournament, one took first and the other took 2nd. I ran into old friends, coaches, and parents who were now grand parents of wrestlers from my hight school years at the tournament. I had forgotten what a large family the wrestling community is and how much fun I used to have. I really have to watch my pushing the boys but Im proud to say that they were the ones who suggested that they start wrestling. I can also say I got the chance to learn from Dan Gable at a camp at Olivet college. I learned an inside switch that I used to win more than one match from him.

This is good to hear. Like I said in my last post, my son is only 7 and loves wrestling. He only got into BJJ because he couldn't get enough mat time in wrestling. He has yet to be in a tournament because TKD and BJJ takes up most of his time. In fact, TKD sparring is frustrating him because he cant go to the mat.

JadeDragon3

Black Belt
Reaction score
I think that BJJ will most definitely help his wrestling. Just make sure that he know he can't be on his back when he wrestle. Also, you are right....he needs to work on takedowns 24/7. The three I recommend are single leg, double leg, and fireman's carry.

Pyrock

Green Belt
Reaction score
I think that BJJ will most definitely help his wrestling. Just make sure that he know he can't be on his back when he wrestle. Also, you are right....he needs to work on takedowns 24/7. The three I recommend are single leg, double leg, and fireman's carry.

Thanks...At least he already knows and uses doubles and singles. Are hip throws legal in wrestling? He hasn't worked on the fireman's carry. What does that look like? Sounds like it's not commonly used in BJJ.

JadeDragon3

Black Belt
Reaction score
Hip throws are allowed in h.s. wrestling. The fireman's carry is not used in BJJ alot. It's mainly a wrestling takedown but thats why it would work so well in sport jiu jitsu. The fireman's carry is where you shoot in on your opponent and one arm pulls the opponents arm over your neck while your other arm does a high crotch and you flip them over your head.
http://www.wikihow.com/Do-a-Fireman's-Carry-in-Wrestling

http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl...=&sa=X&oi=image_result&resnum=1&ct=image&cd=1

Pyrock

Green Belt
Reaction score
Hip throws are allowed in h.s. wrestling. The fireman's carry is not used in BJJ alot. It's mainly a wrestling takedown but thats why it would work so well in sport jiu jitsu. The fireman's carry is where you shoot in on your opponent and one arm pulls the opponents arm over your neck while your other arm does a high crotch and you flip them over your head.
http://www.wikihow.com/Do-a-Fireman's-Carry-in-Wrestling

http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl...=&sa=X&oi=image_result&resnum=1&ct=image&cd=1

Cool...thanks for the info. I think my son's going to like that one. Obviously, they haven't taught him that one yet but then again, they haven't taught him many techniques yet since he's still pretty young. He learned most of his techniques from BJJ.

JadeDragon3

Black Belt
Reaction score
After a few years of both wrestling and BJJ he'll be really good for jiu jitsu competitions because they practice mostly single and double leg takedowns and thats about it. Once you take an opponent down thats when you go right for the mount to finish him with a submission or ground and pound. Usually the jiu jitsu person is shocked or stunned because he's not used to the wrestling takedown and gives you enough time to take the mount position. Have your son learn as many wrestling takedowns as possible.

Pyrock

Green Belt
Reaction score
After a few years of both wrestling and BJJ he'll be really good for jiu jitsu competitions because they practice mostly single and double leg takedowns and thats about it. Once you take an opponent down thats when you go right for the mount to finish him with a submission or ground and pound. Usually the jiu jitsu person is shocked or stunned because he's not used to the wrestling takedown and gives you enough time to take the mount position. Have your son learn as many wrestling takedowns as possible.

In reality, I think he will naturally gravitate towards wrestling as he gets older simply because there is no BJJ in highschool so I think it's good that he started with BJJ. Regardless, I hope he never stops his BJJ training and works on both BJJ and wrestling.

JadeDragon3

Black Belt
Reaction score
You should have him work on stand up fighting as well. Then he'll be really great and be able to defend himself both on the ground as well as standing up. He'll have all bases covered so to speak. Nobody would be able to pick on him in school then.....lol.

Pyrock

Green Belt
Reaction score
You should have him work on stand up fighting as well. Then he'll be really great and be able to defend himself both on the ground as well as standing up. He'll have all bases covered so to speak. Nobody would be able to pick on him in school then.....lol.

I agree...He actually works on his "stand up" quite a bit. He excells in TKD sparring...not the olympic style where they keep their hands down. He does the other style where they use a lot of hand strikes and keep their hands up. He got 2nd place in a Northern Cali tourny out of 10-12 kids (7-8 year olds in the intermediate class). He likes it a lot but second to rolling on the mat. The funny thing is that it more closely resembles kick boxing and a little Muay Tai more than Olympic style TKD.

Ironcrane

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I really wish that I did take up Wrestling while I was still in high school. It's probably one of my biggest regrets as far as MA goes.

Gruenewald

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Copy-pasting an excerpt from my introduction thread...

I wrestled in my first, second and fourth years (unable to participate during my sophomore year due to a very far-developped plantar's wart on my foot, for which I was undergoing acid treatment for at the time... I was on crutches most of the year). I had attended two Juvenile Canadian National Championships during that time, failing miserably at the first (in third year) but then placing second in the one just passed, in Greco-Roman style (thanks to everybody on the Mountain Top Wrestling team who made the last few years so enjoyable).

Unkogami

Purple Belt
Reaction score
I wrestled in 9th grade and it was a kiving nightmare for me coming from a positive background in MA, I was not use to a coach always seeing the negative about everything nomatter what we did it was never good enough if you won a match and stuff he would always say the oponet was weak or we should have finished them off quicker and it just was not pleasant to be there.
The weak and the sensitive don't last long in wrestling.

Latest Discussions