Who would you train under

Mider

Brown Belt
Reaction score
As I’m getting older I am starting to consider going to different gyms when I go on vacation

if you had your choice of training with any martial arts teacher you wanted, who would it be?

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I'm not sure if he actually teaches, but if he does, Georges St Pierre.

frank raud

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I'm not sure if he actually teaches, but if he does, Georges St Pierre.
The only time I am aware of GSP teaching was back in 2006 when some friends had him booked for a seminar here in Ottawa. Between the time of booking him for the seminar and the seminar date, he won the UFC championship for this first time. The increase in his popularity had the seminar moved from the dojo where it was originally planned, to a hotel ballroom capable of holding the larger crowd. They paid for an up and coming young fighter and got a UFC champion.

angelariz

Green Belt
Reaction score
Cung Le,
Francis Fong
Rickson Gracie
Tim Tackett
Maul Mornie
Vasiliev

Too many to list.

dvcochran

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I used to travel a lot for work; all but two US states and several other countries. I routinely worked out wherever I was at. Usually it was a good to great workout, but sometimes it a looser. By in large I did not care about style and sometimes there were not many choices. I was young and curious so it was fun and a Ton of education.
Later, I entered the Olympic TKD circuit and the travel worked to my advantage as far as networking, meeting key people in the WT/TKD organization and my competitors as well.
Some of my best memories were working & training with many of the founding Masters, coaches & instructors in the push to make TKD an Olympic sport. TBH, I would have to say I got just as much out of competing with some of the elite fighters than I did out of the trainers. Great times.

I got to work with Arian Sanford of the Dog Brothers in a random workout near LA.

I lost count but have worked out in over 200 different schools. Great times.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I have a bunch of guys I know who if I was in that part of the country I would train with.

But they are not really big names.

Otherwise cowboy cerone has an awesome ranch that would be fun.

Basically an adventure sports wonderland.

There is a place in Brisbane called high fidelity traing that does a bunch of RBSD stuff that I should do at some point.

Last edited:
OP
M

Mider

Brown Belt
Reaction score
I used to travel a lot for work; all but two US states and several other countries. I routinely worked out wherever I was at. Usually it was a good to great workout, but sometimes it a looser. By in large I did not care about style and sometimes there were not many choices. I was young and curious so it was fun and a Ton of education.
Later, I entered the Olympic TKD circuit and the travel worked to my advantage as far as networking, meeting key people in the WT/TKD organization and my competitors as well.
Some of my best memories were working & training with many of the founding Masters, coaches & instructors in the push to make TKD an Olympic sport. TBH, I would have to say I got just as much out of competing with some of the elite fighters than I did out of the trainers. Great times.

I got to work with Arian Sanford of the Dog Brothers in a random workout near LA.

I lost count but have worked out in over 200 different schools. Great times.
What did you think of the Dog Brothers hand to hand?

dvcochran

Grandmaster
Reaction score
What did you think of the Dog Brothers hand to hand?
Not enough of a sample to have an opinion. It was a good workout though. Best I remember, we did not do much empty hands.
I was belted under Tuhon Bill McGrath when he was in middle TN for about 5 years.

Unkogami

Purple Belt
Reaction score
I have been fortunate enough to learn from some great teachers over the decades. Masaaki Hatsumi, Carl Adams, Chen Quanzhong, etc.

hoshin1600

Senior Master
Reaction score
I would want to learn from Steven Seagal, because apparently he is the best in Aikido since he learned all the secret teachings from O Sensei, trained the CIA and FBI, taught Bruce Lee karate and most of the MMA fighters, was the instructor for multiple sheriff and police departments. Did private security work for Russian leader Putin, while training the KGB. I also heard he beat all the Gracie family but it was the only challenge that they won't release the video footage on. Oh and don't forget it was because of him that Italian mobster Sammy the Bull went into hiding. It's also whispered that he had something to do with the disappearance of Jimmy Hoffa but no one would dare substantiate that for fear of repercussions.

Unkogami

Purple Belt
Reaction score
I would want to learn from Steven Seagal, because apparently he is the best in Aikido since he learned all the secret teachings from O Sensei, trained the CIA and FBI, taught Bruce Lee karate and most of the MMA fighters, was the instructor for multiple sheriff and police departments. Did private security work for Russian leader Putin, while training the KGB. I also heard he beat all the Gracie family but it was the only challenge that they won't release the video footage on. Oh and don't forget it was because of him that Italian mobster Sammy the Bull went into hiding. It's also whispered that he had something to do with the disappearance of Jimmy Hoffa but no one would dare substantiate that for fear of repercussions.
Even as a joke that is cringe-worthy.

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score

True...but notice....he never once dare mentioned...

will-chuck-norris-be-in-walker-reboot-1615513050516.png

So what Seagal claims is at least semi-believable :D

Chuck Norris, by the way, in his younger days, and my younger days, I would have like to train under

Tony Dismukes

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
For stickfighting and general modern melee weapons use: Marc Denny
For HEMA: Federico Malagutti, Robert Rutherfoord, Russ Mitchell
For Judo: Neil Adams
For Muay Thai: Saenchai
For BJJ: Ryan Hall, Rener Gracie, Ryron Gracie, Bernardo Faria
For wrestling: Brian Peterson

Koryuhoka

Orange Belt
Reaction score
No particular order...

Sifu John Kaufman -n Wing Chun
Chen Zhonghua - Chen Style Taiji
Hang Ng - Chugar (Southern Mantis)
Li Tin Loi - Southern Mantis
Roy Dean/Rick Ellis - BJJ
Shinzato Katsuhiko - Shorin Ryu Kishaba Juku.
Et al..

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I have very little interest in looking for another teacher at this point, but I would have liked to train under Robert Nadeau, in Aikido, before I left the San Francisco area

Latest Discussions