Who What and Why

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Who is your Instructor?

What is there main teaching philosophy?

Why do you choose to train with them?

I ask this to see what is the general response to these question. I did this at my school and will post what the majority said about me, later in the thread.

michaeledward

Grandmaster
Reaction score
My instructor is Mike Hogan, a long time student of Huk Planas.

The teaching philosophy is Ed Parker's American Kenpo in a relaxed, family environment with ego checked at the door.

Originally, we choose Hudson Kenpo because of the convenient location. The reasoning has changed a bit as I have progressed. Now, it is the direct connection to Huk Planas, and the form of American Kenpo that was taught at the Ed Parker Kenpo Schools in Southern California. While I doubt I will ever find myself in a position to need to use my training, I do want to "do it right". If Ed Parker is the genius he is hailed to be, I want my understanding of this endeavor of self-defense to be as close to what he did as I can find. And I have come to believe that the closest connection is Huk Planas. I don't think that Mr. Planas would yet take me on as his personal student, but through Mike Hogan's two decades of training with Mr. Planas, I am but one stepped removed.

And, on a much more basic level, I continue to train, because I feel better leaving the studio than I felt when I arrived at the studio. As long as that is the case, what reason is there to stop?

Big Don

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
My Kenpo instructor is JR Diaz, another long time student of Mr Planas.
The teaching philosophy is EPAK's with a focus on fighting ability.
Why, it was the only martial arts school in town.
My Karboan instructor is Ed Planas, Sifu Planas's brother
The teaching philosphy focuses on knowing you can always adapt.
Why? He comes and teaches a monthly class at my dojo, so, convieniance...

meth18au

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Who is your Instructor?

My instructor is Phon Martdee

I believe his training philosophy revolves around passing on the traditional art of Muay Thai.

I choose to train with him for a few reasons. I believe his gym is like a little corner of Thailand located in my city in Australia. He teaches very traditional Muay Thai, has a very good reputation, and produces very good fighters for competition. He is also a very good bloke, that gives his students the attention they need.

Steel Tiger

Senior Master
Reaction score
My teacher's name is Chris Bishop.

His teaching philosophy is based in Daoist philosophy and is very easy going.

I didn't really have much choice. I was at university and wanted to continue my MA training and he was offering the only Chinese art. It was very fortunate too as I found a very good teacher and a friend.

Kacey

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score

agemechanic03

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Who is your Instructor? SBN Ch'oe Ki Un

What is there main teaching philosophy? Tang Soo Do

Why do you choose to train with them? I'm military and stationed in Korea. I only have 3 options on base-- Hapkido, which isn't that good. In one year, you can make 3-4 degree bb, ROFL--TKD, I trained in it when I was in stationed in Georgia and wanted to try something different. So now I study Tang Soo Do under a 6th Dan Korean Master that really knows how to push me.

KempoGuy06

Grandmaster
Reaction score
My instructors are Jonathan Drake and Brian Phillips

Mr Drakes teaching philosophy is Shaolin Kempo Karate Mr. Phillips is Brazilian Jui-Jitsu

Why? I wanted to train and the school was the best choice. The instructor was very passionate about what he does and you could really tell. He knows how to push me and where I need to be pushed. He gives me compliments when I deserve them and he critizes me when Im not performing well. He also wants to be your friend. The same can be said about Mr Phillips

B

JBrainard

Senior Master
Reaction score
Who is your Instructor?

My instructor is Master Michael Bowers.

I guess the main teaching philosophy is to give the students reality-based survival skills so that they can walk with confidence and security.

I was initially drawn to the school because it was one of only two schools in my area (that I knew of) that teaches knife fighting. That drew me in, but talking to master Mike and observing a couple of classes is what got me. I came in knowing nothing about FMA, but I came out realising that this was the art I had been looking for.

Kennedy_Shogen_Ryu

Blue Belt
Reaction score
My instructor is Mr. Jerry Pilon, our head instructor in North America is Kyoshi Vern Tilley, our head instructor in Okinawa is Grandmaster Kensei Taba who trained directly with O'Sensei Shoshin Nagamine.

His training philosophy is to train for realism, train Kata as though every technique means life or death. Both Mr. Pilon and Mr. Tilley are ex-bouncers so the self-defences that they teach have been tested on the street and are proven effective.

I study with my instructor because he can really push you to be as good as you can be. You think you can only do 20 pushups he'll get you doing 30, etc etc. Also, he teaches because he wants to, it's his job and his passion. He does the workouts with us, he does the forms with us and he does his best to be one on one with his students.

charyuop

Black Belt
Reaction score
My Sensei is Doug Hanson, student of Sensei Mitsugi Saotome.

He teaches Aikido and I really don't know what to say about the phylosophy if not that he focus alot on the Martial part of the Art.

Why I chose him? He was the only one in my town. I wanted to do at first Tai Chi, but there were no teachers around so I found out there was an Aikido teacher. I looked a little bit on Internet about Aikido and decided to give it a try. Now I am so glad I did it. Not only I love the Art, but I was also lucky enough to find an excellent Sensei and a wonderful and very helpful Senpai.

Brandon Fisher

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I have had a few instructors but let me list the most influencial to my training:
Renshi Tom Ward, 6th Dan Shorin Ryu Shorinkan
Kyoshi Eddie Bethea, 7th dan Shorin Ryu Shorinkan (indirectly only train a few times directly with him but he is Sensei Wards Sensei)
GM Jack Buckley, 9th Dan American Streetwise Karate In Pittsburgh, PA
Currently I am continuing my training under both Hanshi Buckley and Shihan Frank Williams 7th Dan Shorin Ryu.

Training: Okinawa Shorin Ryu I teach it to realistic purposes not sport, though we do compete I feel its more important to develop strong self defense skills and then tone it down for competition.

Why do I choose to train under these sensei because of their character and their solid base of traditional karate. Traditional karate means a lot of me and I want to continue on that path that Sensei Ward put me on 15 years ago.

meth18au

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I ask this to see what is the general response to these question. I did this at my school and will post what the majority said about me, later in the thread.

Terry, the anticipation is killing us!!! Please tell us all the gossip...
:boing2:

Langenschwert

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
My Instructor: Johanus Haidner

Teaching philosphy: Swordsmanship must be made available as a complete art.

Why I train with him: The guy really knows his stuff, and is an excellent and patient instructor. He's trained with a who's who of WMA/HES, and has been involved with WMA for over 20 years. His knowledge of wrestling/Ringen (as essential part of swordsmanship) is very impressive, hence the "complete art" aspect.

Best regards,

-Mark

OP
terryl965

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Terry, the anticipation is killing us!!! Please tell us all the gossip...
:boing2:

Here is a tease they say I have a velvet hammer without the velvet. They say the can see how fruastated when they screw up on poomsae's and certain techs. They say they all understand ny passion to my art but for the most part I want it to be perfect all the time even though I keep saying we can never ever be p[erfect.

kempo-vjj

Orange Belt
Reaction score
instructor: Darrell Sarjeant.

Style: kempo-jujitsu, Fillipinpo (pambuan), and Indonesian (silat).

His teachers: Moses Powell, John Bain, Cliff Stewart, among others.

I wanted a no-nonsense street art. I liked the fast striking, the joint locks-destructions, gunting, throws, rolling /falling, and all the wonderfull knife work. Still not to crazy about the sticks.

My instructor as well expects perfectionism. He said once, "do you feel as though you can appply that lock as good as me now"? "No! Then keep on working on it". Wrists all sore and what not. His evolution per him is someday the student takes from what they have learned and takes it to a higher level. I'd love to be half his level. Expand your knowledge.

warriorartsokc.com

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
My system is Kenpo and my teacher is Prof. Hancock. We pay particular attention to muscle groupings and the cycle of considerations.
Sean

Kwan Jang

Purple Belt
Reaction score
My instructors are KJN Ernie Reyes, Sr. and KJN Tony Thompson. (partners for 30 years)

Their philosophy is to try to bring the highest quality of martial arts and make it available to the general public, not just elite athletes. To develop oneself physically, mentally, spiritually and with good character. To strive for mastery in martial arts and mastery in life.

The reason I train with them is they have always pushed us past our (and their) comfort zones and are constantly evolving our MMA system. They will train with the best people available (usually for years) and break the material down and integrate it into our system. For example, BJJ with Ralf and Cesar Gracie; NHB with Frank Shamrock and Bob Cook; SCJJ with Wally and Leon Jay; Judo with Mike Swain; American Kenpo with John Sepulveda and Jeff Speakman, the FMA's with Remy Presas (originally), Mike Inay, Jimmy Tacosa; Muay Thai with The trainers at Fairtex like Woodman and Dr.Knees and the late Alex Gong. They also bring in leaders in personal devlopment such as Anthony Robbins, Dan Millman, and Wayne Dyer to work with us and have adapted many of their methods into our teaching. I started with them 30 years ago when they were teaching the traditional Korean systems of TKD, Hapkido, and Yudo and it's evolved form there.

meth18au

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Here is a tease they say I have a velvet hammer without the velvet. They say the can see how fruastated when they screw up on poomsae's and certain techs. They say they all understand ny passion to my art but for the most part I want it to be perfect all the time even though I keep saying we can never ever be p[erfect.

Ahhh.....so you are a hardass towards them? And push them towards perfection?!?!

That's a good quality in an instructor- you should be proud of these comments that they have made!!!

:)

Latest Discussions