who have you met?

Tames D

RECKLESS
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I think it's a given that everyone has met Chuck Norris.
icon10.gif

crushing

Grandmaster
Reaction score
just curious but who are some famous fighters, martial artists, or actors youve met?

I met Dan Severn at his gym in Coldwater, MI. I can even make the claim that I got The Beast to tap out.

Personally, I think he may have just been bored with my trying to put the submission in. People don't usually yawn and look at their watch while they are tapping out. LOL!

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
I have meant a few martial artist that are known rather well in their particular style but the martial artists and/or fighters that I have meant that most would know are Marvin Haggler, Fumio Demura and Yang Jwing Ming… Sorry but I never meant Chuck Norris

Brandon Fisher

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Well known Martial artists and / or Actors I have met even if just briefly:
Jeff Speakman
Don "the Dragon" Wilson
Bill "Superfoot" Wallace (actually got to uke for him alot at one seminar since he remembered me from a past seminar and we had shared some stories)
Kathy Long
Gary Dill
Vince Marchetti
George Alexander
Bram Frank
Ernesto Presas
Emil Farkas
John Pelligrini
Stephen Hayes
Wally Jay
Remy Presas
Harris Warren

Famous People outside of martial arts:
MC Hammer
Young MC
Gene Simmons
DJ Irene
Chris Cox (grammy nominee for his dance remixes)
Plus I said hello to many more in a 4 day period than I can remember when I was in LA working the booth for Pioneer ProDJ in 2003.

bookworm_cn317

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
I've never met Chuck Norris, either.

The only famous people I've ever met(that people OUTSIDE of my area would know) are Penn & Teller.

Teller DOES talk, by the way!;)

kuntawguro

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Rene Latosa- Stayed with him for a while
Remy Presas- He stayed with me to establish his Michigan Group
GM Leo Gaje- He stayed with me- very intense
Fred Degerberg- what a big man and moves so well
Eric Lee- we did a camp together
Bill Wallace- thought he was a jerk
Jackie Chan in Tokyo at a stand bar- gave him my seat - nice guy
Ron Balicki- Very Nice guy
Dan Inosanto- many times- what a humble man
Pendekar Paul DeThouars- a very funny man
Chai Sirisiute- He has a funny laugh and is quite the IMP
Tim Tackett- very knowledgable man
Larry Hartsell- a Bull in a china shop
Edgar Sulite- so much energy
Mike Bernardo- was into himself
Cynthia Rothrock- we climbed a motel wall together when she was 17
Kieth Harabyashi- very motivated but no time for small talk
Sifu Francis Fong- smiling all the time and a ball of energy- learned a lot from him

Richard Plowden- a co competitor in the Michigan Karate circuit- good guy with a good heart
Graciela Casillas- at a camp in NC she was very friendly and laughing- but was a good teacher
GM Bobby Tabaoda- a funnny man with such a big heart

MA-Caver

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
In the MA World:
The fine fine folks here at MT (ok, ok mebbe not in person but I think it counts!)

Did sign language interpreting for Yip Sing (his son/grandson? did the Chinese to English interpretation and I did the English to Sign Language interpreting) for a Wing Chun Seminar in Utah. Even got hands on instruction from him on how to do Sticky Hands between his talks. Pretty neat and damn, that old man was F-A-S-T whenever I tried to hit him. When it was done for the day he came up to me personally and thank me for my work. Needless to say I was deeply honored. When it came time to sign t-shirts he stood up and bowed to me again. Didn't know what to say to that so I bowed back, lower.

Also interpreted for Ed Parker Jr at a seminar he did in Utah, got to sit down and chat a wee bit just prior to starting. From what I heard about his Dad, Jr. is a chip off the ole' block... a really nice easy going guy.

Non-MA-ist include, Lou Ferrigno, Vito Scotti, Larry Hagman (in Dallas of all places), Gary Wright (Dream Weaver).

Big Don

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Ed Parker Jr
Richard "Huk" Planas
Frank Trejo
All at seminars at my school.
Non MA?
Toby Keith, who bought me a corndog at the Fresno Fair a few years ago.
I was working at the fair, keeping people away from the back stage area, when he and another guy walked out. He said "We'll be right back, we're with the band." When he came back a few minutes later, he brought me a corndog.

woot

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I used a urinal next to The Undertaker. Several years ago there was a professional wrestling event in St. Louis. I was at a night club that evening and I guess after the show alot of the wrestlers decided to go to this same night club. I used the restroom and The Undertaker and a few more pro wrestlers (who I don't know) followed in after me. As I was finishing my business I heard the undertaker say to the others that they should do something really disgusting to the rear end of the next guy who walked in the door. Needless to say, I was so freaked out and scared I about crapped my pants. I high tailed out as fast as I could. Those guys were scary huge.

tradrockrat

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
I think it's a given that everyone has met Chuck Norris.
icon10.gif

No one meets Chuck Norris. Chuck Norris meets you - once...lol

As for brushes with "Martial Arts Greatness" - I really don't equate fame with greatness - more like luck, but off the top of my head I can only say that I have been fortunate enough to train with Dr. Gyi and Sifu Innosanto more than once. Other truly great Martial Artists I have trained with aren't "famous", but they clearly qualified as great.

IcemanSK

El Conquistador nim!
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I met a few "famous" folks in MA.
Bill Wallace-seminar
Kathy Long-seminar
Rick Roufus
Don Wilson
Bob Thurman
Marek Piotrowski-who beat the 3 above.
Chuck Norris
Bridgett Riley-good friend
Blinky Rodriguez
Lily Rodriguez

Having started MA in the 80's, the folks in kickboxing were like icons to me. These are the ones that I've met that I've liked. The ones I didn't like will go unnamed.

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
To name a few:
Ed Parker
Mike Pick
Skip Hancock
John Sepulveda
Dennis Conatser
Jeff Speakman
Brian Hawkins
Lee Wedlake
Billy Lear

The oriental guy from the "Octagon"
I can't think of anymore right now

AceHBK

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
This is by far one of the funniest threads I have read in awhile...

"jerk"
"he was cool"
"arrogant as hell"
"shared a bathroom with the undertaker"

i am enjoying this. I swear I must be the only person who hasn't met Chuck Norris...lol...or rather he hasn't met me.

YoungMan

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
I've never met Chuck Norris. Doesn't interest me.

Other than maybe Jet Li, who seems interesting based on what I've read about him, I have zero interest in meeting actors, kickboxers, wrestlers, or UFC guys.

YoungMan

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Other than having some admiration for the youth programs he started, I really couldn't care less about Chuck Norris.

matt.m

Senior Master
Reaction score
Lets see, when I graduated bootcamp from San Diego, (USMC) I went to Culver City for the night. A guy I know lives there. Anyway, I met the Gracies. They were cordial. I have met Dan Gable, Mike Swain, a number of Pro Bodybuilders, Franco Columbo being my favorite.

At our conventions I met Brad Waller, Jason Hon, and Bill "Superfoot" Wallace. I have met Kurt Angle in Atlanta, etc.

One of the greatest martial art "Rock stars" I personally know and have for a long time is GGM Bong Yul Shin. He is one of the premiere Judoka on the planet. Old school to say the least and a very humble man. The late GGM Lee H. Park was just amazing to watch. My pop is my all time fav. I am in no way shape or form biased at all ;).

But I have always said "The true best are the ones that are least publicized."

Latest Discussions