Who do the "Seniors" study under?

I

Iron Dog

Here's a question. Who does your "Senior" study with? I was in Denver a few weeks ago with a old Judo/Army buddy of mine, and showed him this site. He read it for a couple of days and asked me this question: "Who trains most of these guys"? What he means is, do the persons that post the most, i.e. Touch O'Death, Golden Dragon, Kenpo Joe, Professor Kenpo, etc, have one particular teacher. When I told him of Mr. Parkers passing, his next question was, "Well, they gotta train don't they"?
I explained the in's and out's of Kenpo, the line of succession, to the best of my limited knowledge, but it's a good question.
Who DO you call your Sensei, Sifu, Professor, Master, (you choose your own title)
I'm just curious, nothing else...
I.D.:confused:

Michael Billings

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
That about says it all, eh? I know you are asking them specifically, but I have seen Frank Trejo, Bob Liles, Sigung, John Sepulveda, et. al., ... learn from watching whoever else is teaching. I am sure that this is part of the "being a senior" thing. Just cause you are high ranking does not mean that there is not more to learn, or at least I see no end in sight for myself.

-Michael

OP
R

rmcrobertson

You're not, "just curious," really, are you?

Well, rhetorical answer: who'd Morehei Ueshiba, Gichin Funakoshi, Jigoro Kano study under? After a certain point--the universe; nature; their own hearts; others, in roughly that order.

Who does Clyde (Professor Kenpo) study under? Mr. Tatum, as he's posted about four thousand times. The universe...nature...my own heart...other students...in roughly that order.

Who do I study under? Mr. Tatum. Clyde. My first teacher. The universe...nature...my own heart...other students...in roughly that order. Just less intelligently.

Hm. Who do you study under?

Michael Billings

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Formally:
Tommy Burks
John Sepulveda

Formally and Informally:
Every other Kenpo Senior, Junior, and Seniors and students of any Art or Life.

Never to the exclusion of the universe; nature; or my own heart.

I learn even from Robert sometimes, (whom I usually agree with); or
More obliquely, even those on this Board I disagree with. There are lessons to be learned everywhere, some good some bad, but it always should force you to evaluate and re-evaluate your stance or position on issues and your Art. If you can't defend it with your mind, you may be able to with your heart, but this should not exclude your engaging in the process of "learning", no matter the point of origination.

As Sigung LaBounty says:

"The Eternal Student"
-Michael

OP
I

Iron Dog

First of all I want to thank all of you for giving me some insight. I absolutely love the answers, especially those regarding nature, their own evolvement and experience. To be very clear however, I WAS NOT challenging anyone's credentials nor their ability, it was not my intent to do so and if I came across as arrogant, I apologize sincerely.
Mr. Roberston, I was not interested in who you train with, but thank you. I forget that you post a lot here and stand as an accomplished martial artist. It seems that I ruffled your feathers in as much as you might have thought I was not being respectful to your teachers and class mates. Again, not my intention and if I have offended, pardon me. But you've busted me. I am NOT a Black Belt in your art, in fact I am still a white belt. My first art(s) were Judo and Ju-Jutsu roughly 25 years, and then after a stint in the military, kickboxing, Kung-fu (a disaster) and of course catch wrestilng when I can and my neck and back are sufficiently medicated.
My Kenpo training started with a student of Steve Labounty's in Fresno California, but I was lured away from the arts by a big money job. Now that I'm back, I'm in a quandry as I've trained with several Kenpo teachers here in Northern California and am preparing to move to Colorado where I hope to train with Mr. Dave Coppock a student of Mr. Sepulveda's. I'm one of those "seminar' junkies that gets just enough info to get hurt and look like the south end of a pooping dog, now in my 50's I'm ready to settle in.
But let me put this out there. I'm no starry eyed punk kid looking to elevate my ego and public self worth. I'm a tested in battle person, who has died and been re-born and I know good from crappy. The men I mentioned and the ones you mentioned, I admire and wish I could learn more from them. But you now have guessed that I am guy that has let the time flit by, but still has the desire. To that I'll stand with or against anyone. Therefore the way the Seniors train rings a favorable cord to me.
You all have been gracious to me, thank you. No more from me. These sites have made people so gunshy (in some cases for good reason) that it's futile to try and have dialog. These replies have been good, I think I'll stop while ahead.
Good luck...
Patrick

OP
M

MisterMike

I think if you really study and Know the art, the art will begin to teach you.