What's in a name?!

OP
K

Karazenpo

kroh said:
Just two cents...

If the whole class is taught in the language of the art's country of origin...

Then these titles "could " be correct ( depending on whether or not the person in charge was using them correctly).

I agree with the above poster who said that the reason they count in that certain language in the country of origin is that they speak that language.

The titles for the most part are pretty goofy ( just my opinion ). Adam Hsu, who has been practicing chinese martial arts for years wrote that the only time he ever saw some one called something other than "teacher" was when he came to the U.S. and these insturcors with over developed sense of self started using other words.

Often times these titles are meant to be written only. The closest equivalent in America would be where you have a physician with more than one type of expertise. His title is written as phd********* where the * refer to other areas. When he introduces himself he won't call him self doctor****** SoAndSO, they just say I am Doctor SoAndSO.

The whole thing is for people who feel the need to elevate themselves in one way or another. Marketing tool or self gratification device... either way, titles really don't do it for me. Now if i walk into a MA school and the instructor introduces himself as "Joe" ...I am more likely to stay and see what they have to offer. If some one steps up and introduces themselves as Grand Master Willy Wonka...I am more likely to step out of the building politely while they are not looking.

The whole thing is out of control....

Anyhoo it is just two cents....Take it or leave it...
WalT

I totally agree with most of what you posted. I do feel if the system you study believes in awarding titles then that should be respected with some flexibility. Like I had posted earlier, for years my original instructors simply used first names and that is where I acquired my foundation or 'identity' so until this day I use my first name. Titles are not required in either of my schools. Possibly when I bow out an instructor or introduce an instructor I will use his/her formal title but for the most part I'm pretty informal and use first names. However, if a title is legitimately earned or bestowed I do feel it should be used in all written documents regarding the martial arts, that's my 'compromise' on the issue and I always respect the protocol when I visit other schools. I would like to also comment on titles being used in this country. I'm not taking issue with what the Chinese instructor stated about 'teacher' and the Chinese martial arts but as a follower of martial arts history and tradition, titles have been used in Okinawa and Japan for centuries. Do I think they are over used here in the U.S.? Absolutely! They are just as abused as the 'coveted' 10th dan and all the 'so-called' newly created systems or what I refer to as 're-inventing the wheel'! I don't mean to offend anyone or their system but it's my opinion it's all overdone. How many different ways are there to fight someone since, generally speaking, we all have two arms and two legs? Like I quoted Jimmy Woo: "Americans believe there are different styles of fighting when actually they are different styles of teaching." Hey, the Okinawans took what they wanted to learn from Kung Fu and created and taught 'Karate", know what I mean? One other thing, I'm totally against using titles at all outside the schools but that's just my opinion, I know others feel differently and I respect that.