White vs Black in Chess

donald1

Senior Master
Reaction score
I dont know much about chess(i know how to play... im just not that good at it) and know hardly of whats being said but grandmaster draw?? Ive never heard or this term, what is it

john2054

Green Belt
Reaction score
i thought it meant when the grandmasters drew a game, but apparently it means when they draw a match (a series of games).

elder999

El Oso de Dios!
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
http://www.nytimes.com/2013/03/10/c...s-persist-but-so-do-fights-to-the-finish.html

THE NEW YORK TIMES said:
A grandmaster draw refers to when players engage in a short, effectively uncontested game, often in the last round of a tournament, and then agree to a draw. Such draws usually occur among leaders of a tournament, and the purpose is to guarantee that each player gets a share of the prize money. For spectators and organizers, the draws are anticlimactic and disappointing.

The New York Times chess column (which, alas, is no more) was last edited by Dylan Loeb McClain, who had an FIDE rating of 2307.

john2054

Green Belt
Reaction score
Well done elder, you have mastered the copy and paste function for web addresses, there is clearly potential in this one yet!

elder999

El Oso de Dios!
Reaction score
b.jpg
Well done elder, you have mastered the copy and paste function for web addresses, there is clearly potential in this one yet!

I mean, we've both basically said the same thing, from the same sources: a "grandmaster draw" is a draw by agreement to end match play. The "draw death" I spoke of is something else entirely-the inability to resolve a game-ever-due to complete neutralization-something that hasn't even occurred with computer programs....while,yes,there are a lot of draws at higher levels of match play, matches still achieve resolution due to wins-there hasn't been any draw death......yet.

elder999

El Oso de Dios!
Reaction score
also here is a quote from the new york times: 'Grandmaster draws, the scourge of competition, are unfortunately alive and well.'http://www.nytimes.com/2013/03/10/c...sist-but-so-do-fights-to-the-finish.html?_r=0

This was my link. then you copied and pasted the same link in your message. so like i said, well done? Have you ever considered applying to university lol
I also included a quote from the same article, explaining that a "grandmaster draw" is what I've been saying it was, rather than what you seemed to be saying it was?

Have you ever considered going back to kindergarten, or perhaps taking a course in reading comprehension? Is English your second language? Are you dyslexic? Maybe it's your eyesight? I wonder what the problem is......

john2054

Green Belt
Reaction score
It's called plagiarism elder999, but then if you had a degree i guess you would have known that?

elder999

El Oso de Dios!
Reaction score
It's called plagiarism elder999, but then if you had a degree i guess you would have known that?

Are you saying you're a plagiarist?

I've got a couple of degrees, btw......still don't understand what you're getting on about....of course, they're in engineering and physics....oh, and religious studies-I have a degree in religious studies? Perhaps you suffer from glossolalia?

john2054

Green Belt
Reaction score
a couple of degrees, really? and what university did you get them from, the school of hard knocks? Wait that actually is a college, damn

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Gentlemen... Cut the crap. I'm tired, I'm grumpy... and I'll lock this thread very quickly if the personal attacks don't stop.

Am I coming across clearly enough?

elder999

El Oso de Dios!
Reaction score

Look, John, let's start over, okay? I mean, I have a reputation as one of the nastiest people here, and I just got out of the "penalty box," and don't really see much sense in both of us being penalized for a simple misunderstanding....

In the first place, pasting a link and quoting the same article isn't called "plagiarism." It's called cross-posting; I was unaware, when I posted, that you had posted the same content earlier-but, since neither of us wrote it it can't be "plagiarism," anyway, since we both cited the same source.

I also-I have to point out (being one of the nastiest people here) that I quoted from the article directly, and it supports what I said about "grandmaster's draws."

I also have to point out-again-that what I originally posted was not about draws (which have occurred in grandmaster, international master and master level play since the beginning of the twentieth centure and earlier) but about the so-ca;;ed "draw death" of chess, which has by no means occurred yet, even between two supercomputers with the same programming.

Lastly, of course, I'd direct you to this post, made ten years ago, and quote it below:

early on I earned a degree in religious studies; my father, grand father and great-grand father were all ministers, though they also practiced other trades. I managed to dodge that bullet, and wound up working in commercial nuclear power, earning degrees in mechanical and nuclear engineering, and advanced degrees in nuclear engineering and, more recently, my doctorate in applied physics. I’m a certified firefighter, HAZMAT technician, avid hunter, ultra-marathon runner and triathlete (though hardly competitive; I’m just happy to finish.), fourth-generation “gun nut,” as well as a federally certified ordinance and munitions disposal technician.

I now live in New Mexico, where I practice enough gardening and raise enough animals to be called a “subsistence farmer” by some, and experiment (read: “hobby”) with alternative energy sources, knife making and automotive engineering in my spare time.

I currently work at Los Alamos National Laboratory, where I do boring science stuff, and a few things that I can talk around, and a few more things that I won’t (CAN’T) talk about at all, though I’ve told enough that you can probably imagine what those are.

While I can probably contribute about a few things, I’ve enjoyed reading this forum for quite some time now…(shuffles back to corner…)

Let's not have this conversation again, okay John? There are any number of people on this forum who know for a fact who I am, what I used to do, what I'm doing now, and what my education has been.......I have to add that, being somewhere on the spectrum myself, and knowing a number of people who suffer from your disorder, I have a lot of respect for your putting yourself out on here. Be that as it may, I'm not the most patient of people when it comes to being called "wrong," especially when I'm not. We should just make nice............