Why aren't whites called European Americans?

Kane

Black Belt
Reaction score
It seems strange to me. Though it is not necessarily offensive to use the term "black" when describing an African American, if you look at any major poll or article, when talking about black people they use "African America", and for white people they use "white".

However doesn't that seem like a double standard? They are being politically correct for blacks, calling them African American, so then why can't they be politically correct to whites and call them European Americans?

It seems strange to me also how everyone else is categorized differently from whites;

People of East Asian Decent: Asian American
Natives Decedents: Native Americans
People of African Decent: African American
People of Latin American Origin: Latin Americans
People of European Decent: Whites

Notice that the term "white" is in a different format as if they are a different type of being:rolleyes:. They don't use European American.

Why do the people who want everything to be politically correct want it to look like white people vs other races, as if whites are like a separate being? Why can't the system be 100% politically correct and call whites European Americans?

Of course many might say it makes no difference since it may not be "offending" anyone, but I think there is more than meets the eye here.

If we want full equality of the races we must no make distinctions, even in minor things like this. What do you think?

Marginal

Senior Master
Reaction score
Short answer...

Why don't we have children's day?
Because every day is children's day.

Lotsa people do seem to like the anglo term tho.

FearlessFreep

Senior Master
Reaction score
How many generations does your family have to be in a country before you stop being identified by where they came from and are just identified by who you are?

M

MisterMike

Does African American refer to white citizens of South Africa?

It's all just a way of becoming a special group to add yourself if you are looking for special grants and privileges, affirmative action, pity, etc.

If these people believed in the melting pot, there wouldn't be a need for the division and descrimination and rascism, beacause that's what it is y'all.

OP
K

Kane

Black Belt
Reaction score
It just seems strange to me that whites are always categorized in a differently than other races, almost as if they are a seperate being. I wouldn't mind if European Americans were called white, as long as African Americans are called black, or whatever. The point is that they should all have similar names, not different type.

Native Americans are the most American of all the races some might say, and yet how come they are regarded as a non-white race.

Basicly it seems that there are two groups, whites and non-whites. This is not so, but many times people who claim to be politcally correct say hint at this.

MA-Caver

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Memory of a conversation I had with a friend of color:

Me: Tell me something do you insist on being called African American?
Him: Of course that's where my family is from.
Me: I see, but you were born here right?
Him: Yeah...
Me: Your mom and dad born here?
Him: Yes
Me: Your grandparents? Born here?
Him: Yeah...
Me: Great Grandparents?
Him: Yes
Me: Great-great grandparents? Or did they come over on the boat?
Him: (thoughtful) probably that... I do know they were slaves but...
Me: So it seems to me that with you being a fourth generation born in American that just makes you plain American doesn't it?
Him: Seems that way what about you?
Me: Well, sticking with just my Father (as my mother's family was 4 generation born American Scandinavian) who's family can be traced directly to Dublin Ireland... I was born here, my father, my grandfather, my great grand father and great-great grand father... and if I'm not mistaken we have records of my father's family fighting in pre-revolutionary war skirmishes with the Brits and French when they were trying to move in.

I dunno what is the right number of generations born in this country can be called simply AMERICAN but as far as I'm concerned to this date... anyone who's family was born in this country and sired children before/during/after the civil war is as American as they can get. No matter WHAT skin color they are.
I understand and appreciate ancestrial pride and all that. I'm proud of having an Irish lineage because they helped build railroads and a lot of things in this country. Same with my dutch ancestors on my mothers side and their sea-loving males that were part of the commerce trade on the atlantic sea-board. Yet do I call myself an Irish American? A Dutch/Irish American? NO! I'm an American and I'll die an American! :supcool:
True blacks having been brought over (most of them anyway) against their will and forced to work and build the south... were liberated and allowed to grow as a PEOPLE (not a race) in this country. Admittedly they had opposition until the Civil Rights Act in the 60's and really didn't come into full intergration until the 70's because of white bigotry ... there are more black owned businesses, leaders and black millionaires in the past two decades than any other in the last 100 years! So they've been growing and prospering as a people ... as AMERICANS. Same with hispanics and other races, though on a smaller but rapidly growing scale.
IMO those immigrants that are coming into this country now should, after taking the oath of citizenship can retain the right to call themselves Native-country/American but their children and grandchildren to come should be known as Americans.
Funny, I wonder if those who moved and settled in present day euro/asian countries are calling themselves as American Germans/Britians or American Japanese/Indonesians or whatever.
The whole thing is silly and is IMO hurtful because it allows a seperation of loyalty and pride in one's NATIVE country. If you're born here then that's what you are. Don't like it... the 9:55 redeye flight to europe or asia is now boarding. :shrug:

Andrew Green

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Well, up here in Canada a lot of people retain there cultural heritage several generations out of there country of origin.

It's part of who we are, it's in our blood.

I am Canadian, I am proud to be Canadian. One of the things I like most about being Canadian is it is a multi-cultural country. I went to a elementry school that was half Englieh, half Ukranian bilingual. It didn't divide us any more then having two English classes would. Most of the kids in it where born in Canada, most of there parents where too. But tradition and culture are important and you should never forget where you came from, it got you where you are.

It is quite common for people up here, who have been here for generations to say I'm Russian, or I'm Geman, or I'm Irish, or I'm Ukranian, or I'm Jewish, etc.

Why white stayed and black didn't?

Well, my guess would be when the "White / Black" terms where in common use, "Black" was meant as a derogatory term, "White" was not. "Blacks" where slaves that got treated like animals, That wouldn't be the part of my history I'd want to identify myself by.

Where as with white American history, there was that independance thing which largely regected Europe, tossed the Europeans out and declared themselves something non-European, that rejected European culture (All that tea wasted...) So "European" was liekly not the way they wanted to name themselves.

Tgace

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Everybody wants to be different...some want to be treated different too.

M

MisterMike

Andrew Green said:
Where as with white American history, there was that independance thing which largely regected Europe, tossed the Europeans out and declared themselves something non-European, that rejected European culture (All that tea wasted...) So "European" was liekly not the way they wanted to name themselves.

Well, we really declared independence from England, not Europe, and the French were pretty happy to help with that.

Seems the only place I hear of terms like Italian-American, French-American are cooking shows.

Andrew Green

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Good.

The last thing we want is everyone wanting to be the same.

some want to be treated different too.
Some got treated different when they didn't want too. Slaves got treated different then white folk. I'd imagine the Slaves didn't decide to give the white people special priveledges over them... I'd imagine the Natives didn't decide to donate all there good land to the White folk...

shesulsa

Columbia Martial Arts Academy
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
MisterMike said:
Does African American refer to white citizens of South Africa?
Good question. I don't know any personally, so ....

MisterMike said:
It's all just a way of becoming a special group to add yourself if you are looking for special grants and privileges, affirmative action, pity, etc.
Yes, yes, yes. We all want to think we're of a special affiliation. It makes us feel ... well, special. I think that crosses all lines - those of color (white, African American, Asian American, First Nations), religion (Catholic, Christian, Jewish, Buddhist), or political party ("right" wing, liberal, Libertarian). We all be fancy!! Ooooh. Aaaaah. Geeee. Wooooow. I think it's really interesting to hear the white American male complain thump his chest about his affiliation and then complain about others with their affiliations. Not that that's what your doing ....

MisterMike said:
If these people believed in the melting pot, there wouldn't be a need for the division and descrimination and rascism, beacause that's what it is y'all.
The thing is, whether we want to admit it or not, humans still mostly gravitate towards our like kind. There's been lots of research showing that thin, young, attractive, white, well-dressed people with the same qualifications as those without one or some of those qualities are more likely to get jobs, loans, cooperation, faster and better service.

So what we're really talking about is trying to legislate thought. Tough.

Tgace

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Andrew Green said:
Good.

The last thing we want is everyone wanting to be the same.

Some got treated different when they didn't want too. Slaves got treated different then white folk. I'd imagine the Slaves didn't decide to give the white people special priveledges over them... I'd imagine the Natives didn't decide to donate all there good land to the White folk...
Some Americans of slave ancestry have "been here" longer than my family has. As most came over "on the boat" in the late 1800's. As Italian immigrants they were exposed to some vile discrimination themselves. My great grandmother said she refused to teach any of her descendants Italian because the accent would "handicap" them. She wanted then to become "Americans" not Italian-Americans. Why should anyone have access to more government programs or social benefits than me based on what happened to people few of us knew or remember?

michaeledward

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Kane said:
It seems strange to me. Though it is not necessarily offensive to use the term "black" when describing an African American, if you look at any major poll or article, when talking about black people they use "African America", and for white people they use "white".

However doesn't that seem like a double standard? They are being politically correct for blacks, calling them African American, so then why can't they be politically correct to whites and call them European Americans?

It seems strange to me also how everyone else is categorized differently from whites;

Notice that the term "white" is in a different format as if they are a different type of being:rolleyes:. They don't use European American.

Why do the people who want everything to be politically correct want it to look like white people vs other races, as if whites are like a separate being? Why can't the system be 100% politically correct and call whites European Americans?

Of course many might say it makes no difference since it may not be "offending" anyone, but I think there is more than meets the eye here.

If we want full equality of the races we must no make distinctions, even in minor things like this. What do you think?
One difference to consider. Those people from Western Europe that travelled to the Americas in the 15th and 16th century were often travelling by their own free choice, motivated by business opportunities.

Those who travelled from Western Africa to the Americans in the 16th and 17th century were taken captive and forcibly removed from their homelands, and carried across an ocean and imprisoned as beasts of burden.

These are two very different scenarios. Do they merit different treatment?

One may argue and ask that many generations have passed ... surely the sins of the father should not be paid out on the son; for how much time should this suggested 'different treatment' last?

I think the reasonable answer to this thoughtful question requires looking at the human condition, and how individuals connect with and identify with their community.

While the descendants of slaves have for many generations now been born in this New World, have they connected with, and identified with the community of travelling merchants from Western Europe? Or, did the Western Europeans, while extending 'freedom' to the African descendents, still keep them apart from the community.

While Lincoln granted 'freedom' to the service class in America, could the African descendent children honestly be connected with and identified with the European descenent children before Brown v Board of Education? (or later)

So, in this New World, we have communities that are isolated away from the halls of power. They are not part of the 'melting pot'. They are segregated. Won't these human beings strive to find an identity; an identity that is denied them by the former 'slave owners'. (I'm sorry Mrs. Parks, you must sit in the back of the bus). So, they find among themselves an identity; develop names for themselves (some no longer acceptable in mixed company); create secret handshakes; build their own culture unique from the Europeans. What should this unique culture be called? How do the members of this culture describe it to the non-initiated?

I don't know if it is THE correct answer, but African-American, is certainly one way to simply identify the culture; a people imprisoned and in servitude for 300 years, set free, but kept apart, reaching back to their origin for self-identification.

If the very brief argument above makes any sense, who knows. From this theory, a Caucasion from South Africa would not be part of the 'African American' culture, because his identity would not come from the centuries of oppression and ostracization, even if his geography does match the description. As MisterMike suggests, the South African may take up the mantle of 'African American', if he feels it might gain him some benefit. Although, I don't think that is any different than a college student joining the Greek System at college.

And, over time, as the culture becomes less seperated from, and more a part of, the term will eventually become meaningless (or so we hope). Two items on this thought ...

My caucasion daughter and her friends will use the term 'whigger' to describe each other. It is offensive to me. It is repugnant to me. If you can't figure out what it means, or if you haven't heard this term, you can private message me and I'll explain.

And don't forget about the big 'Ghetto Festival' in Miami. Where the citizens can come down and have watermelon eating contests and celebrate how 'Ghetto' they are. (Also, this is offensive to me). Look up the news reports.

Kenpodoc

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Kane said:

personally i think the appropriate term for all of the above groups is "Americans".

Jeff

qizmoduis

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Culturally, I'm an American. Ethnically, I'm a fairly typical Euro-mutt. I've got french, english, and irish ancestry (as far as I know). Being adopted, I'm unaware of any finer divisions or of when my ancestors actually migrated here. My daughter is even crazier, since my wife is vietnamese, so she's a euro-asian-mutt.

Kenpodoc

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
qizmoduis said:
Culturally, I'm an American. Ethnically, I'm a fairly typical Euro-mutt. I've got french, english, and irish ancestry (as far as I know). Being adopted, I'm unaware of any finer divisions or of when my ancestors actually migrated here. My daughter is even crazier, since my wife is vietnamese, so she's a euro-asian-mutt.
World wide most people are mutts. From the beginning of time it seems that lust frequntly outweighs racism.

Jeff

sgtmac_46

Senior Master
Reaction score
Italian American
German American
Irish American
Polish American

It does seem as though many Americans are referred to and refer to themselves by country of origin, even Europeans. I think the issue, however, is that many American's have become so lost in the blend, melted so to speak, that we have lost our ethnic origin. Maybe that's for the best. Then we can just be 'Americans'.

punisher73

Senior Master
Reaction score
The strange part is that the term "African-American" only applies to people who have been in this country for a long time (generations), or are actually FROM Africa.

I work with alot of INS persons, who for one reason or another are waiting to be deported, and all of the black ones that have spoken to me about this consider it an insult to call them "african-american". They either want to be called americans or wherever their country of origin actually is. There are many blacks that I meet that are french, canadian, english, from one of the caribbean islands etc. and do not want to be lumped into the classification of "african american".

OP
K

Kane

Black Belt
Reaction score
sgtmac_46 said:
Italian American
German American
Irish American
Polish American

It does seem as though many Americans are referred to and refer to themselves by country of origin, even Europeans. I think the issue, however, is that many American's have become so lost in the blend, melted so to speak, that we have lost our ethnic origin. Maybe that's for the best. Then we can just be 'Americans'.
So have Africans. In fact most African Americans living today have a lot of white blood in them, they are hardly pure Africans. For example Halle Barry is often looked at as African American when in fact she is half white.

And besides, isn't African American more of a broad generalization? Africa is not a country, neither is Europe. But those are two contin. that the two races came from. I think they should be viewed in the same way, not African American and White. If they are going to call European American people white, they might as well call African American people black.

Latest Discussions