Which Wing Chun?

Wing Chun Dummy

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Well, the chicken and the egg debate is only a debate until you understand evolution. The egg came before the chicken. The egg came from the previous animal who had a mutated egg, and thus, the first chicken was born, followed by the first chicken's egg.

As for Wing Chun - if you have a good teacher you may realise that you don't need anything more. All this debate about legends is only fascinating until you learn the real techniques yourself for what they're worth.

Wing Chun Dummy

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
btw, a lil' off-topic...

WingChun Lawyer - what is the law with regards to personal space? do you know? are you really a lawyer?

WingChun Lawyer

Green Belt
Reaction score
Wing Chun Dummy said:
btw, a lil' off-topic...

WingChun Lawyer - what is the law with regards to personal space? do you know? are you really a lawyer?

Yes, I am a brazilian lawyer.

No, I have no idea on what you are trying to talk about here.

If you have an issue with me, at least extend me the courtesy of being somewhat clear.

The MMA kid!

Green Belt
Reaction score
though it is off-topic, wing chun lawyer, as a citizen of Brazil, why do you insist on learning wing chun and muay thai rather than Jiu Jitsu?

(I am sure you have answered this question many times)

yipman_sifu

Blue Belt
Reaction score
The MMA kid! said:
though it is off-topic, wing chun lawyer, as a citizen of Brazil, why do you insist on learning wing chun and muay thai rather than Jiu Jitsu?

(I am sure you have answered this question many times)

Is it a must to each Brazilian to learn Gracie Jujitsu, what about capoeira. I think it also a fighting technique popular in the Brazilian turfs.

Regarding Wing Chun, why not man?:) . It is a one of the most effective fighting systems ever created.

Wing Chun Dummy

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Well for a modern English speaker I was very clear.

If you don't know what I mean, then lamento, sinto muito, desculpe, por que tenho no better way to put it.

btw I'm not good in your language either.

WingChun Lawyer

Green Belt
Reaction score
Wing Chun Dummy said:
Well for a modern English speaker I was very clear.

If you don't know what I mean, then lamento, sinto muito, desculpe, por que tenho no better way to put it.

btw I'm not good in your language either.

Actually you were not clear at all.

This is what you said.

"WingChun Lawyer - what is the law with regards to personal space? do you know? are you really a lawyer?"

Well, I already stated that yes, I am a brazilian lawyer. I never heard about "the law with regards to personal space", there is no such thing in Brazil, and I really have no idea on what do you mean by that. And I don´t understand why would you be hostile towards me.

MMA Kid: I did 10 years of judo, I don´t practice BJJ because I got tired of grappling. Although, truth be told, I actually SHOULD practice BJJ, because my groundfighting sucks - my judo teacher put very little emphasis on newaza, which is a pity.

The MMA kid!

Green Belt
Reaction score
see, this is weird to me, because for some strange reason I don't feel how it would be possible for such things to happen. it is like one practicing Tae kwon do in Thailand. are there constant challenges to any other schools by BJJ guys? especially at your Judo school?

I think Brazil is getting that reputation that asians once had. where If you saw an asian guy, you would assume that he knew some form of martial arts... but instead, if you live in brazil, you are exposed to BJJ automatically.

This makes me think of how many Wing Chun schools are in Korea...

Wing Chun Dummy

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
you're misinterpreting things. i'm not being hostile.

what exactly don't you understand about what i said? do you not know what "personal space" means? or do you not know what "law" means? or do you know know what "with regards to" means? or was it the two further questions which confused you? do you not like multiple questions? or maybe you are side-tracked by all-lowercase sentences?

7starmantis

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
- Mod Note -
Please keep the discussion at a mature, polite and respectable level.

MT Super Mod
7starmantis
Adam C

marcus_p

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Hello tkdduck,

As you probably know, all martial arts have their own merit. I personally think its more important to look for a teacher who can teach you to be effective in combat. Whether its Wing Chun, Tai Chi, TKD, Karate the right instructor show you how to truly apply their art.

I believe Wing Chun Kung Fu is a practical art suitable for everyone because it is based on the premise that your opponent is physically superior (He is larger, faster, stronger). Wing Chun's Theory, strategy and application are all hold to this fundamental premise. You don't use strength against strength because your adversary could be stronger. You don't rely on speed, because your opponent could be faster, etc...

My SiFu wrote an article about selecting a martial art school and another about the essence of Wing Chun. They might be helpful as you choose your school.

Good luck,
Marcus

tkdduck said:
Two part question.

I have trained in Tae Kwon do for several years and have had to step back due to a knee injury.

I am considering training in Wing Chun, but it concerns me having been in an aggressive art of TKD and looking at Wing Chun. Is Wing Chun affective say in a street brawl or would something more like Kenpo or TKD be a better choice. looking at the forms and such it doens't seem to have a lot of training once you defend yourself and are on the offensive side.

I am looking at training under soon to test for 10th Level Siger Barb Sabourin who is training under Master Brian Lewadny who trained under Master Cheung.

Also available in my area is a Moy Yat Ving Tsun Kung Fu school. Not knowing the ins and outs of Kung fu. Can someone enlighten me on the differnece and which is your opinions the better choice. Thanks in advance

WingChun Lawyer

Green Belt
Reaction score
The MMA kid! said:
see, this is weird to me, because for some strange reason I don't feel how it would be possible for such things to happen. it is like one practicing Tae kwon do in Thailand. are there constant challenges to any other schools by BJJ guys? especially at your Judo school?

I think Brazil is getting that reputation that asians once had. where If you saw an asian guy, you would assume that he knew some form of martial arts... but instead, if you live in brazil, you are exposed to BJJ automatically.

This makes me think of how many Wing Chun schools are in Korea...

I never heard of challenges between BJJ guys and judo guys here. I did judo about 10 years ago, I now do only Muay Thai: but I do know judo guys sometimes compete in BJJ championships, and BJJ guys sometimes compete in judo championships.

And yes, it does seem like brazilians ar starting to get that kind of reputation.

PS: Wing Chun Dummy, I just reported your post. Nice try.

monji112000

Green Belt
Reaction score
What is WC and what the types?

Good question!

WC is a style based on Ideas and theory. It can be very soft or very hard but really it should be both. Its very rigid for some people. We don't have a Ground fighting component, although some people add it. We have only one stance, but its not limited to standing square. We have one fist but it can be used in many ways like upper cuts and bow and arrow punches. We have simple but fast kicks that are always low and hard. Our foot work is the key to our power, but 90% of people don't use it and just stand still.

JMO WC fits with any other style because it requires you to think and use common sense. That being said most people who teach WC don't fully understand it.

I don't like any of the popular linages, so I won't bash them. If you want what I like (JMO). Look for a Lo man Kam or Duncan Leung School. If you can't find out just try to find a school that looks real. If the things they do are not realistic or common sense isn't applied don't waste your time.

marcus_p

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Hi Monji,

Just noticed you're a member of SiFu Duncan Leung's Applied Wing Chun family. SiFu Duncan Leung is an amazing martial artist. I haven't met SiFu Lo, but heard good things. If you're ever in NYC please let me know, I'd love to meet up.

Marcus
Wing Chun NYC

monji112000

Green Belt
Reaction score
Yes I will stop by when I am in town again. The problem Is that I come on the weekends. I called last time but things were just too crazy to stop in and say hello. I have a deep respect for Sifu Allen. If I move to NY (prob in 6-8 months) I will have to train at your school. How often and how long do you guys train?

marcus_p

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Hi Monji,

I hope things go smoothly for you, and if you find yourself in NY, I'm sure you'll be happy with the training. Right now SiFu requires students to attend a minimum of 3 classes a week. The requirement is stricter for senior students.

/Marcus

monji112000 said:
Yes I will stop by when I am in town again. The problem Is that I come on the weekends. I called last time but things were just too crazy to stop in and say hello. I have a deep respect for Sifu Allen. If I move to NY (prob in 6-8 months) I will have to train at your school. How often and how long do you guys train?

Latest Discussions