Which Weapon/Weapons Do You Favor?

searcher

Senior Master
Reaction score
Laborn said:
I love bo staves, because you can find one in public easier then you can find a sword:D, broomstick, a stick in the yard, a pipe, poolstick. I also love the Fan, it's so graceful.
Actually, if you know how to use a bokken/sword it is pretty easy to get a weapon that you can use in similar fashion just about anywhere. I teach my students what I have found to be the 4 lengths of weapons that can be found while on the street. Long, like bo. High middle, like jo and bokken. Short middle, like single and double stick. Short, like knives and short baton. So far they have had success with this meathod. I then have them specialize in one. JMO.

bluemtn

Senior Master
Reaction score
I haven't started any weapons yet, but I do like the looks of the bo, (well- anything that's a "stick"). I'm somewhat fearful of the nunchuck- knowing my luck, I'll whack myself good on the head! When I was younger, I always enjoyed baton twirling and flag work in the band (I know- not weapons). I just seem more comfortable at that sort of thing, though.

Solidman82

Purple Belt
Reaction score
I personally am a nunchaku guy but there's a few applicable reasons for it that I don't really wanna get into (let's put it this way, think twice the next time you're about to attack a guy with a long keychain). I also train in a very weird Kenjutsu (kind of like traditional iaido with some medieval techniques). A Shaolin style of Bo. I've got just a little bit of training in the estrella system of arnis. Dabbled in Sai, Tonfa (first weapon I ever owned) and throwing knives. I think my advice when learning weapons is to train in any and all types of shapes, weights, and flexibilities with weapons so you'll always be able to apply to whatever's at hand. (play baseball so you can throw rocks really hard into people's faces)

Latest Discussions