Which style of karate would you consider most “complete”

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
A video on machida karate and how they have decided to adapt it.

isshinryuronin

Master of Arts
Reaction score
A video on machida karate and how they have decided to adapt it.

Lyoto Machida was one of my favorite early UFC fighters, however...

The host (and to some extent, even Machida - we all have bias based on our experience) laid a false premise - defining "traditional" karate as Shotokan-like: Square, rigid, low stances, exaggerated movements. This is a narrow slice of the karate pie and seemingly shows a lack of understanding karate's development.

From what the video shows, the way Machida "adapted" karate is simply travelling further back in time, before Shotokan, to the principles of its Okinawan roots : Shorter movements, higher and shallower stances, use of circular techniques, offensive guard.

Now, for MMA, some true adapting had to occur to handle things like certain grappling techniques and submission attempts which are prevalent in that sport. But in regards to the stand-up striking Machida showed, by and large he simply rediscovered the way karate used to be (and still is in some Okinawan style schools).

"Traditional" is a term that is time and place dependent, its meaning needing to be qualified in order to be accurate in whatever context it is used.

GojuTommy

Black Belt
Reaction score
The replies here are why so many people get so exasperated with karate. Lol

Likely Kudo if you count it.
Otherwise I’d say goju ryu, but I might be biased.