Which monk spade I should buy by weight?

Oily Dragon

Senior Master
Reaction score
Should I buy a (monks spade) that weighs 3 lbs or closer to 5.5 lbs? Both are 74" long. Will the small weight difference restrict my movements that much more? I'm 6ft 190 lbs. And do you think it would be possible to lightly spar against other weapons without damaging the weapons or each other? They sell one that is like 12 to 13 lbs but I don't know if that's practical for a beginner or at all?

Heres a link to one of the them: Crescent Moon Spade

A real shovel would be a lot more cost effective, for both training and for digging.

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's the same damned thing. What does a monk do with a spade, anyway?

They really are not the same thing. A spade tends to have a rectangular blade, a shovel more of a rounded triangle.

upload_2020-5-12_23-59-46.jpeg

Oily Dragon

Senior Master
Reaction score
So spades are a special case of shovel, and shovels are a special type of spade, and both are used to dig holes, and either one would be a better choice of purchase than this poorly welded, low quality piece of chrome junk. Crescent Moon Spade

I thought so, thanks MT!

geezer

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
So spades are a special case of shovel, and shovels are a special type of spade, and both are used to dig holes, and either one would be a better choice of purchase than this poorly welded, low quality piece of chrome junk. Crescent Moon Spade

Yep. A lot cheaper too. You can get a decent shovel or spade dirt cheap (pardon the pun) at Lowe's or Home Depot. Now, if anybody is into training with improvised objects for self defense, a cheap folding shovel (like one of these) is a really good object to get familiar with and keep in your car or truck:
Best Compact Folding Shovels: Smart Solutions for Tight Spaces!

Not only could you use it in the unlikely event that you need to defend yourself, you could reasonably expect to use it to your great benefit if you drive in dirt, mud, snow, or go camping, hunting, etc. ...Or if (like John Wang mentioned above) you have to bury a body... Well, you never know, right? :p

Latest Discussions