Which martial arts should I take up?

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
Are you joking or you mean it? Because 6 months is too much..I know that I can't make up my mind easily, but I can have 2-3 more boxing work outs so I can try them..
Have you considered taking up Canne de Combat?

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Are you joking or you mean it? Because 6 months is too much..I know that I can't make up my mind easily, but I can have 2-3 more boxing work outs so I can try them..

Not joking, I meant it. Six months isn't a long period of time in any kind of fight training.

dvcochran

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Crossfit is a lot of functional, explosive power. Those guys are super physically fit. Are you really saying that folks who diligently train in crossfit lack strength and endurance? I think that it's more about familiarity of the activity. I've seen boxers and MMA fighters gas out fast on a crossfit style obstacle course, even though I'm very confident that the endurance was there. Apples and oranges.
A while back we had two friends that were elite level marathon runners sign up for class. They both struggled out of the gate with running out of gas but stuck it out. Into the 3rd or 4th class they came to me wanting to know why. I joking said 'hell I don't know, you can run circles around me'. I was amazed that neither one of the guys knew the difference between aerobic and anaerobic conditioning. We talked about it and they quickly learned to use the marathon mentality during classes and things got much better pretty fast. Both ended up making it beyond 1st Dan.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
Crossfit is a lot of functional, explosive power. Those guys are super physically fit. Are you really saying that folks who diligently train in crossfit lack strength and endurance? I think that it's more about familiarity of the activity. I've seen boxers and MMA fighters gas out fast on a crossfit style obstacle course, even though I'm very confident that the endurance was there. Apples and oranges.
Just to add to my post from earlier, Dwayne Johnson has a show I've been enjoying called Titan Games. It's basically a crossfit style competition. Here's the final obstacle course run by a boxer and a former Olympian heptathlete. The boxer didn't do very well.

OP
S

Sharptooth

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
All the comments so far are really helpful. My gym is closing the following week, so from September (if Covid permits) I will return to action. I have 2 more training days left. Boxing seems fun so far and not as brutal thankfully. However the boxing coach is on vacation and the gym owner is the coach so despite having done 2 trainings I'm not so sure how the boxing coach will train us. But all this is new, interesting and fun.
The idea of picking up a sport that I like and training and trying to be better and better is more than intriguing. Maybe one day I could be an athlete hehe.

And a question about self-defence.. do you trully learn self defence at boxing? Because if something happens and you can't avoid a fight, you won't have your gloves. Plus someone could not use only his hands but his legs. And he won't be a rival boxing guy so he won't hit in a way you're fmailiar with but maybe random hits. But from someone who has never enaged any martial art, having done some boxing lessons is it enough to be in better position?

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
All the comments so far are really helpful. My gym is closing the following week, so from September (if Covid permits) I will return to action. I have 2 more training days left. Boxing seems fun so far and not as brutal thankfully. However the boxing coach is on vacation and the gym owner is the coach so despite having done 2 trainings I'm not so sure how the boxing coach will train us. But all this is new, interesting and fun.
The idea of picking up a sport that I like and training and trying to be better and better is more than intriguing. Maybe one day I could be an athlete hehe.

And a question about self-defence.. do you trully learn self defence at boxing? Because if something happens and you can't avoid a fight, you won't have your gloves. Plus someone could not use only his hands but his legs. And he won't be a rival boxing guy so he won't hit in a way you're fmailiar with but maybe random hits. But from someone who has never enaged any martial art, having done some boxing lessons is it enough to be in better position?

Ask that question again after you have sparred a decent guy.

OP
S

Sharptooth

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Ask that question again after you have sparred a decent guy.
Everyone i spared (or at least tried during a single lesson) was way way way better than me (obviously). It was annoying and funny at the same time that i could not land a single punch. But that's exactly my point. I was playing with the rules. But just throwing things against someone or kicking him or anything.. isn't this much different from what they know? Thow i guess that this ability of being focused and trying to evade hits must be quite helpful.

Headhunter

Senior Master
Reaction score

Well that’s the big thing. You are 100% right a real attacker will not be using Queensbury boxing rules against you. They’ll be trying to hit, kick, spit, bite, knee elbow, tackle. There isn’t a ref to break it up there’s no time limit. If you go down you don’t get a 10 count to stand up they’ll be on you the moment you hit the floor. Also most attacks are from groups which of course isn’t done in boxing.

now not saying it’s not useful because you do learn how to move and how to cover up and how to hit hard. End of the day all styles have their weakness and it doesn’t matter what style you do then a street fight is still a complete different game to anything in any gym. Best thing to do just enjoy the training and with any luck you’ll never need it and if you do hit the guy as hard as you can then run like hell

OP
S

Sharptooth

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Well that’s the big thing. You are 100% right a real attacker will not be using Queensbury boxing rules against you. They’ll be trying to hit, kick, spit, bite, knee elbow, tackle. There isn’t a ref to break it up there’s no time limit. If you go down you don’t get a 10 count to stand up they’ll be on you the moment you hit the floor. Also most attacks are from groups which of course isn’t done in boxing.

now not saying it’s not useful because you do learn how to move and how to cover up and how to hit hard. End of the day all styles have their weakness and it doesn’t matter what style you do then a street fight is still a complete different game to anything in any gym. Best thing to do just enjoy the training and with any luck you’ll never need it and if you do hit the guy as hard as you can then run like hell
I fully agree with you. So is there any martial art which offers better chances of defending yourself in an attack?
Oh and something funny.. there is that Xena TV show again on TV where she did some incredible (fake) attacks that she would be dozens of enemies.. well i felt that i used the same amount of energy with her when i tried to evade a single punch during the training from someone who did not mean harm haha

Headhunter

Senior Master
Reaction score
I fully agree with you. So is there any martial art which offers better chances of defending yourself in an attack?
Oh and something funny.. there is that Xena TV show again on TV where she did some incredible (fake) attacks that she would be dozens of enemies.. well i felt that i used the same amount of energy with her when i tried to evade a single punch during the training from someone who did not mean harm haha
I’m sure I’ll get certain mma fanatics giving me crap now (I’m sure you’ve guessed who those are) but Krav Maga at a legit school is good. Their focus is quick defences and teaches things about hitting then escaping and how to deal with unexpected attacks and despite claims...Krav Maga people do spar hard depending on the school. You spar multiple opponents and sometimes they put on full equipment so you can go full out. They also grapple but street based grappling rather than bjj focused so they touch how to reverse someone then stand up and teach about weapon defence, teach how to stop kicks and how to get out of clinches in quick ways that aren’t restricted by rules.

now Krav Maga isn’t perfect and there are very bad schools out there and I’m sure in the street there’s boxers or whatever that can beat Krav guys but that goes for anything.

dvcochran

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Everyone i spared (or at least tried during a single lesson) was way way way better than me (obviously). It was annoying and funny at the same time that i could not land a single punch. But that's exactly my point. I was playing with the rules. But just throwing things against someone or kicking him or anything.. isn't this much different from what they know? Thow i guess that this ability of being focused and trying to evade hits must be quite helpful.
So that implies that you have experience outside the rules of boxing. Is this correct? There is recent thread that went down the never ending 'what if' road of self defense and skills. It can truly be paralysis by analysis. I have great disdain for Nike but you need to "Just do It".
Regardless, boxing is one of the best skills out there to learn. If you break martial skills into a triangle you can think of striking, kicking, grappling. They are each unique and have their advantages/disadvantages. The best thing is that a person focuses solely on one area benefits far beyond just one point of the triangle. Getting stronger, gaining endurance, mental toughness will go just as far if not farther in benefit for most people in all situations.
To be more specific I am not aware of any boxing program that really goes into the details of self defense, situational awareness and such, but any increase in offensive skill is much better than none. Getting started AND staying at is much more important in the beginning. You need to process for a while and let the data coalesce. At some point you can decide if you want to expand your learning.

OP
S

Sharptooth

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
So that implies that you have experience outside the rules of boxing. Is this correct? There is recent thread that went down the never ending 'what if' road of self defense and skills. It can truly be paralysis by analysis. I have great disdain for Nike but you need to "Just do It".
Regardless, boxing is one of the best skills out there to learn. If you break martial skills into a triangle you can think of striking, kicking, grappling. They are each unique and have their advantages/disadvantages. The best thing is that a person focuses solely on one area benefits far beyond just one point of the triangle. Getting stronger, gaining endurance, mental toughness will go just as far if not farther in benefit for most people in all situations.
To be more specific I am not aware of any boxing program that really goes into the details of self defense, situational awareness and such, but any increase in offensive skill is much better than none. Getting started AND staying at is much more important in the beginning. You need to process for a while and let the data coalesce. At some point you can decide if you want to expand your learning.
I'm just thinking..if someone tries to attack me.. I could run.. or find something to defend myself like a knife, or throw something against him or just go berserk.. No boxing rules apply there. ButI do agree with all the things that you said.
I had my 3rd boxing class today (and the forth and last for August tomorrow). I think I kinda felt in love with it. It's so much fun and so much intriguing. It's the focus thing that is so new to me and differentiates it from a typical gyrm work out. Although it depends on your opponnent I think. When we asre 1-1 the coach matches me with girls which are gentle and then I'm gentle with them because I don't wanna hurt them by mistake. But I'm also kinda scared of the guys, actuallyone of them who looks horrifying.
And I don't think I could ever practice it professionally because Idon't wanna hurt anyone. I do practice it just for fun of course but I'm just sharing a thought.I'm a dentist, I take care of people who have isses with their teeth and their mouth in general. So provoking a jaw fracture or head and neck injury. I feel it contradticts my role as a dentist-doctor which describes me as a person. I prefer helping than hurting.
But moxing is such a pleasure to practise so far.

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Find one of the people who's good (not just 'better than you' but actually good/been there a while and does well against the others). Bring up your concerns in a nice manner, and see if he'd be up for sparring outside of boxing rules to see what happens. I'm pretty sure that even with you being able to punch, kick, throw, shove, etc., you won't be able to do much.

This still leaves out throwing things at him or running away but-no martial art will really teach you how to throw stuff/deal with things being thrown well, and running is something you can do on your own by just increasing fitness. The only thing it doesn't teach you is soft skills and situational awareness.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score

What do you think you could have done that would have turned that sparring session in your favor had it been a fight?

Or it is quite possible people in that gym have defended themselves. It happens.

You could ask them.

Last edited:

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I'm just thinking..if someone tries to attack me.. I could run.. or find something to defend myself like a knife, or throw something against him or just go berserk.. No boxing rules apply there. ButI do agree with all the things that you said.
I had my 3rd boxing class today (and the forth and last for August tomorrow). I think I kinda felt in love with it. It's so much fun and so much intriguing. It's the focus thing that is so new to me and differentiates it from a typical gyrm work out. Although it depends on your opponnent I think. When we asre 1-1 the coach matches me with girls which are gentle and then I'm gentle with them because I don't wanna hurt them by mistake. But I'm also kinda scared of the guys, actuallyone of them who looks horrifying.
And I don't think I could ever practice it professionally because Idon't wanna hurt anyone. I do practice it just for fun of course but I'm just sharing a thought.I'm a dentist, I take care of people who have isses with their teeth and their mouth in general. So provoking a jaw fracture or head and neck injury. I feel it contradticts my role as a dentist-doctor which describes me as a person. I prefer helping than hurting.
But moxing is such a pleasure to practise so far.

Yeah. But the dentist is a pretty good fight name.

OP
S

Sharptooth

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
What do you think you could have done that would have turned that sparring session in your favor had it been a fight?

Or it is quite possible people in that gym have defended themselves. It happens.

You could ask them.
Well You always had in mind that the position was rather fixed and he would guide us like saying you give 2 hits he gives 1 hit so I had all the time in my mind to do "what he said" and not things on my own. Otherwise i could have been more aggressive I think/

The dentist as a boxer's name sounds violent haha

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Well You always had in mind that the position was rather fixed and he would guide us like saying you give 2 hits he gives 1 hit so I had all the time in my mind to do "what he said" and not things on my own. Otherwise i could have been more aggressive I think/

The dentist as a boxer's name sounds violent haha

Yeah see we have sparring set days and noobs really will just do any random thing quite often.

I do MMA so there is very little someone can do that will be so far out of left field that it will suprise me.

But honestly punching someone hard in the head really does stop most attacks.

OP
S

Sharptooth

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Okay so here's a plot twist. My working schedule changed suddently yesterday so I cannot attend boxing classes which makes me kinda sad because I was really enthusiastic about it. However a ray of hope there still may be, I could attend kickboxing classes which are 2 hours later so maybe this is possible. If this is not possible too i would switch to crossfit which has even more flexible schedule. Do you think it would be possible to find martial arts at 10PM? or is it too late?

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
There is only one true constant in life and that is change. Things change, always have, always will.
Just have to adapt to the changes. Life isn't always fair.....if ever.

As far as boxing, kickboxing or any Martial Art - when you can no longer remember how many months you've been training your butt off - that's when you'll just start scratching the surface of learning to fight, box, kickbox, grapple, whatever.

OP
S

Sharptooth

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
There is only one true constant in life and that is change. Things change, always have, always will.
Just have to adapt to the changes. Life isn't always fair.....if ever.

As far as boxing, kickboxing or any Martial Art - when you can no longer remember how many months you've been training your butt off - that's when you'll just start scratching the surface of learning to fight, box, kickbox, grapple, whatever.
That's very true. I was thinking that I would never learn box bcz of that and then I thought maybe I won't start boxing THIS period of time.. but i could try kick boxing that would be fun, if possible. Although being bare feet makes me kinda shy for some reason :p

Latest Discussions