Which martial arts should I take up?

Headhunter

Senior Master
Reaction score
I don't think I care about being a good boxer, since i'm not going to pursue any boxing career. I wanna be good at performing the punches and techniques just for not hurting myself and maybe some self defence. Nothing further than that.
There is a "fight fitness' programma where it is supposed to be something like punches, kicks and knees and some aerobic work out but still it's not that good i think s ince there are no weights to lift. So boxing seems better (or kickboxing).
Jeez this is going round in circles.....you want to learn boxing and get fitness go to a boxing gym. You want to look good with your shirt off go to CrossFit it’s really that simple. Boxing strength and endurance is completely to CrossFit. I’ve seen numerous CrossFit guys not able to do 2 rounds of sparring or even pads because they’re so exhausted.

Headhunter

Senior Master
Reaction score
Probably you're right

Regarding training, what's the difference between boxing and kickboxing? I mean obviously you kick, but are they that different as a routine work out? I mean for my physique not for kicking people's buts.
It completely depends on the gym there’s not a universal training plan for every gym

Headhunter

Senior Master
Reaction score
Seriously. I'd have had no idea if you didn't point it out.
Its amusing because I don’t care much about video games at all but I looked at the trailer because it was ufc so why not and damm the comments section is hilarious with video game nerds Crying and saying how the Graphics are terrible. Firstly crying on the Internet over a game....bit sad tbh second I dont know what they want from the game...they want Joshua to actually punch them in the face or something lol

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Its amusing because I don’t care much about video games at all but I looked at the trailer because it was ufc so why not and damm the comments section is hilarious with video game nerds Crying and saying how the Graphics are terrible. Firstly crying on the Internet over a game....bit sad tbh second I dont know what they want from the game...they want Joshua to actually punch them in the face or something lol
I think we already reached the point of as realistic graphics as needed like 10 years ago. I was playing nba2k16 (which came out in 2015), and my dad thought I was watching a basketball game until a marker showed up on screen.

I got the idea of wanting better graphics when everything was a green or blue block, but at this point that's the least important part of a game. If that's what your main focus is, go to an art show.

Headhunter

Senior Master
Reaction score
I think we already reached the point of as realistic graphics as needed like 10 years ago. I was playing nba2k16 (which came out in 2015), and my dad thought I was watching a basketball game until a marker showed up on screen.

I got the idea of wanting better graphics when everything was a green or blue block, but at this point that's the least important part of a game. If that's what your main focus is, go to an art show.
Honestly idk I don’t play games much I saw my son on about some new game that got people all pissy because some guy They liked from the first game got smacked in the head by a golf club and died and then you play as the big muscular woman who killed him later and the voice actress who played her got death threats from these losers and the fact the other main character is a lesbian woman and that upset some sad people. Yeah my son explained all that crap to me and I was just like....this is why I don’t get involved with video game crap online but from what I saw of videos the game looked amazing and the bad guys you killed had personalities where they’d cry or get sad if their friend got killed by you, like I say I’m not a gaming person but cool to see how much it’s advanced

Last edited:

Headhunter

Senior Master
Reaction score

Lol just seen here’s Tyson fury in that same game....okay yeah joshuas character model is better tbh lol
E978A3BE-A9B6-4EC8-B01E-1BF378E4E98E.jpeg

OP
S

Sharptooth

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
So today i had my first boxing lesson. Which was not quite a boxing lesson. the boxing coach is on vacations so the gym owners did the class (he's practicing brazilian jiu jitsu and mma).So we did some work out (warm up, push ups, burbees, some abs) and then some punching.. and then we had oppononents that held something like boxing gloves but rather flat to punch on them. Nobody really bothered with showing me anyrthing (I mean him actually). the other guys were friendly, way friendlier than my crossfit co-athletes. But the intense of the workout was not even nearly as hard as the crossfit.

Headhunter

Senior Master
Reaction score
So today i had my first boxing lesson. Which was not quite a boxing lesson. the boxing coach is on vacations so the gym owners did the class (he's practicing brazilian jiu jitsu and mma).So we did some work out (warm up, push ups, burbees, some abs) and then some punching.. and then we had oppononents that held something like boxing gloves but rather flat to punch on them. Nobody really bothered with showing me anyrthing (I mean him actually). the other guys were friendly, way friendlier than my crossfit co-athletes. But the intense of the workout was not even nearly as hard as the crossfit.
That’s because you don’t know anything....you can do better workouts when you actually know how to throw a punch until then it’s be a waste of time getting you to do hard stuff since you can’t do the basics

WhiteBeltNoStripe

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I can have a free trial I guess, I will just tell the owner that I'm considering boxing/ kboxing classes and that I need 1-2 trial lessons. I'm only worried if the work out will be inferior in terms of exercise quality (I presume there will be no free weights and bars to lift). Both the crossfit trainer and the boxing trainer are very good.

In my opinion, nothing will compare to CrossFit as far as a workout goes. It sounds to me like you would best enjoy/benefit from finding a cardio kickboxing group/class. Or perhaps a group Muay Thai class. Both will give you a great cardio workout and offer some "training" with kicks and punches. Plus, they're both a lot of fun.

OP
S

Sharptooth

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Okay so I did a second boxing training today.. It was more challening that the first. I had an opponent and that was kinda scared (coward I know).. i did receive a hit on my face though (but nothing serious). There was no bag punching.. we only changed oponents and then some work out in the end.. The work out part.. not even close to the crossfit intensity.. but the boxing was kinda intense because you're never still. When I had a woman as an opponent I was worrying for not hitting her and when i had a guy as an opponent I was scared for myself :p
But apart from being dumb and scared it was also fun but I felt I was way too focused not as relaxed as I would be in crossfit.Like feeling I was in danger all the time.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Give it six months, see how you like it by then.

OP
S

Sharptooth

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Give it six months, see how you like it by then.
Are you joking or you mean it? Because 6 months is too much..I know that I can't make up my mind easily, but I can have 2-3 more boxing work outs so I can try them..

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
Jeez this is going round in circles.....you want to learn boxing and get fitness go to a boxing gym. You want to look good with your shirt off go to CrossFit it’s really that simple. Boxing strength and endurance is completely to CrossFit. I’ve seen numerous CrossFit guys not able to do 2 rounds of sparring or even pads because they’re so exhausted.
Crossfit is a lot of functional, explosive power. Those guys are super physically fit. Are you really saying that folks who diligently train in crossfit lack strength and endurance? I think that it's more about familiarity of the activity. I've seen boxers and MMA fighters gas out fast on a crossfit style obstacle course, even though I'm very confident that the endurance was there. Apples and oranges.

Latest Discussions